[Game Update] - 277680

• Developer
  • Gas/Liquid should no longer incorrectly be displaced diagonally through gas/liquid permeable tiles.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when a Dupe was having a conversation with a corpse as it was being delivered to a grave.
  • Added more information about unsupported audio sample rates to the "Audio failed to initialize" popup dialog.
  • Dupes should no longer be missing mouths when idling during break time.
  • Fixed a bug where expanded resource categories were no longer persisting through save/load.
  • Power transformers can only provide up to 1kw to the downstream side.
  • New temp building: Phonobox
  • Fix for toilet not going to the full state after zero flushes.
  • Fixed crash that could occur when hitting back in the codex screen.
  • Fixed extra eye showing up when dupes look sideways.
  • Dupes should now go to the bathroom if they urgently need to do so during the work period.
  • Dupes don't complain about having to pee during breaktime if their bladder is below 100%.
  • Dupes will no longer shout about being sleepy
  • You can now see the priority value of creatures that have been marked for capture.
  • Fixed an issue where buried objects were appearing where nothing was buried.

View full update

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Gas/Liquid should no longer incorrectly be displaced diagonally through gas/liquid permeable tiles.

FinallYeah!

Fixed extra eye showing up when dupes look sideways

You should not do this! 

Edited by CDoroFF

1 minute ago, Cheerio said:

Power transformers can only provide up to 1kw to the downstream side.

2 needed to power the 2kw cable? They share the work when using 2?
I think I don't like this. 2 transformers to feed an conductive wire, thats a lot of space.
Maybe there should be a smaller transformer (2x2?) and a bigger one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Alpe12 said:

2 transformers to feed an conductive wire, thats a lot of space.

Transformers have only been able to supply 1kw as long as I've been playing. This is the norm for me.

So I don't really understand the point of that patch note.

Edited by Ambaire

Just now, Ambaire said:

Transformers have only been able to supply 1kw as long as I've been playing. This is the norm for me.

Theoritically you could have them supply 5kw/s. They provided 1kw for each tick, and 5 ticks accounted for 1 second. Basically you were able to power 2kw conductive wires with a transformer and battery.

@CheerioI really dislike this change btw. The only thing that this will do is being a nuisance. Now I basically have to create secondary transformers everywhere. There was nothing wrong with how it was.

2 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

Not actually.
They weren't able to supply power to buildings that consumes more than 1kw. Ex: Metal Refinery. But if you plug a lot of things that consume less than 1kw each, they could provide it.
To make them provide power to a Metal Refinery or other building that consumes more than 1kw you had to add a battery to the circuit.

4 minutes ago, Alpe12 said:

To make them provide power to a Metal Refinery or other building that consumes more than 1kw you had to add a battery to the circuit.

.. huh. so that does work. just tried it in the cosmic update. it's not intuitive at all, though. I suppose we need a dial-a-yield transformer, and set the output to what we want on a circuit.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

.. huh. so that does work. just tried it in the cosmic update. it's not intuitive at all, though. I suppose we need a dial-a-yield transformer, and set the output to what we want on a circuit.

Or forget about it since this update ruins that. Better yet prepare your base for it by installing a second transformer already.

Just now, turbonl64 said:

Or forget about it since this update ruins that. Better yet prepare your base for it by installing a second transformer already.

It may not have been obvious, but my post above implied this ;) I've always used one transformer per KW needed on the downstream side.

2 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

Or just use Heavi-Watt Wire in industrial areas.

Just now, _Q_ said:

Or just use Heavi-Watt Wire in industrial areas.

I can't speak of others, but that's what I basically do. I use one long heavy watt line to power whatever is not in living quarters. There are important exceptions however: places the requires over 1kw of power and need to be fully insulated.

So double transfomers it is then. Nobody will have to drop bases for this, but it is a bit of a bummer. @Cheerio I do agree there should be a new 2kw transformer then. Why not a conductive transformer made from refined metal?

1 minute ago, MorsDux said:

Or just use 2 batteries with power shutoffs and logic gates. 

No need to bother, in my current base I just connected it all with Heavi-Watt Wire, by all I mean metal refinery, rest of the base in on standard 1kw wire, it can overload since all things connected by it need 3.5 kw, but they are never running at the same time.

40 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Can you clarify what this means for buildings like aquatuners? Or is that 1kw per tick?

Tested it in an older build.  Had a Smart Battery small side on a Transformer.  The smart battery drains off the excess 200w until it fails, then starts recharging off the transformer while the Aquatuner is dead.

Power tricks will now need to be adjusted to a dual transformer strategy.

Edited by WanderingKid
typo
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

Theoritically you could have them supply 5kw/s. They provided 1kw for each tick, and 5 ticks accounted for 1 second. Basically you were able to power 2kw conductive wires with a transformer and battery.

@CheerioI really dislike this change btw. The only thing that this will do is being a nuisance. Now I basically have to create secondary transformers everywhere. There was nothing wrong with how it was.

We have more than one problem concerning how power is hanled right now:

1. Our power transformer were to powerful and worked counterintuitively.

=> It makes the game more fun if the provided ingame information matches the capabilities of the building.

2. There is no single building capable of feeding a fully loaded conductive wire

Solution:

before: power transformer + battery

now: 2 power transformers

=> I think that has some negative impact on our gameplay

3. We increased the time a smart battery controlled power transfomer needs to do it´s job

=> More heat generation and less space efficiency for our power grids ...

(Just a problem if your like me and want to "cool" some buildings with 70C hydrogen before burning it, makes my 100% insulated power grid systems less viable)

4. Power transfomers and batteries shared the same charging/discharging abilties

=> If we fix the power transfomers in that way, "switched batteries" will be more frequently (ab-)used

6 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

We have more than one problem concerning how power is hanled right now:

1. Our power transformer were to powerful and worked counterintuitively.

=> It makes the game more fun if the provided ingame information matches the capabilities of the building.

2. There is no single building capable of feeding a fully loaded conductive wire

Solution:

before: power transformer + battery

now: 2 power transformers

=> I think that has some negative impact on our gameplay

3. We increased the time a smart battery controlled power transfomer needs to do it´s job

=> More heat generation and less space efficiency for our power grids ...

(Just a problem if your like me and want to "cool" some buildings with 70C hydrogen before burning it, makes my 100% insulated power grid systems less viable)

4. Power transfomers and batteries shared the same charging/discharging abilties

=> If we fix the power transfomers in that way, "switched batteries" will be more frequently (ab-)used

1.  The in-game description is actually pretty accurate these days.  Based on the description, we should even be able to add power to a Heavi-Watt line safely from a hamster wheel through plain Wire, so long as the Heavi-Watt is on the 'low' side of the transformer.  It's been described as a 'step up' and a 'step down' transformer in one.

2.  If we ignore generators.  Otherwise, the Petroleum Generator and Steam Turbine would both like to say hello.  Honestly, I thought it was a minor bug that the battery was required - it didn't make sense to me that it couldn't fully supply the line before without the battery.  (Aside from being a programmer and noticing the 1 kw capacity of the transformer, that is.  That was a big hint.)

• Like 1

What is the point in the 2kw wire now though? I mean technically all builds can just use normal wire or heavi watt now since only 1kw is gonna go trhough it except for aqautuners I spose

Is it just a glorified phone box? I was hoping the schedule would be ready XD

• Like 3

Ok, so PT has 1kW power instead of 5kW => Power flow just became x5 slower than it was. Now you basically need 5 PTs instead of 1 to have the same charging speed as before. However, I do feel this is the right thing to do as that's the description of the PT - "1kW". What we had was something close to 5kW.

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

What is the point in the 2kw wire now though? I mean technically all builds can just use normal wire or heavi watt now since only 1kw is gonna go trhough it except for aqautuners I spose

Conductive wire might be used:

• for all consumers with >1kW usage, such as metal refinery and aqua tuner.
  • for a large network  with 2kW of consumers hooked to it (although splitting that into 2x1kW would save you all the refined metal).

The nerf to power transformers makes them very troublesome. They already take up a lot of space, and while I agree that they should match the description and not require reading forum guides to understand, I think they should at least be able to power a non-heavy wire consistently, i.e. provide up to 2kw rather than 1kw. As was suggested here you could instead make another version of the transformer that provides 2kw, but it seems rather unnecessary from my point of view, and would merely clutter the build screen.

• Like 2