Early game power+other

@Oozinator

The shine bug powerplant might seem like a ridiculous idea, but I'm building one in my current colony right now. ;)

Shine bugs only live for 25 days, as such they lay eggs quickly when tame. Using a 'free range' ranch, you can keep them that way, and have a lot of them at once.
What you do is, you have a 'room' with on one end a pneumatic door for your dupes to enter through, on the other side, you have a 1 tile high 'exit' which is blocked off with water. As such, the bugs can't leave, but the 'room' is considered part of the general base area, so very very large, and no matter how many bugs you get in there, they won't overcrowd.

21 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Well, My hydrogen gens are now unable to keep up with all my power demands!!! I must build more electrolyzers or more dupes!

I build electros everywhere and store O² to gain + hydro, open "system"

3 hours ago, gelat said:

@Oozinator, how are you cooling your O2?

No reason to cool it. The cold co² geyser, was not active so far (o² in the pocket).
image.thumb.png.dfe5f259aa0a1d98a77cabc87899a8f0.png
When you run one ele, it runs whole time = hot.
A dazillion eles, share the workload = no problem..

4 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I use hydrogen - Natgas - coal.
Hydrogen is most loved, so far.
Those whole solar panels things are not worth the job..

My current base uses only hydrogen.  In fact, I turned off the automation on the h2 gens to burn excess to keep the electros from backing up.  Early in the game I did supplement with nat gas as power usage was higher with refining and polymer production.  I see no point to solar even if steel wasn't broken due to high micro management to dig out and repair after storms.

Just now, chemie said:

My current base uses only hydrogen.  In fact, I turned off the automation on the h2 gens to burn excess to keep the electros from backing up.  Early in the game I did supplement with nat gas as power usage was higher with refining and polymer production.  I see no point to solar even if steel wasn't broken due to high micro management to dig out and repair after storms.

I hope Klei nerfs not everything to death. Hydrogen feels not unbalanced, there are many do's and dont's.
Base has to be built specific, to archieve flow, or player could choose a compact system with cooling, but that costs energy.
How do you feel about hydro balance?

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

I hope Klei nerfs not everything to death. Hydrogen feels not unbalanced, there are many do's and dont's.
Base has to be built specific, to archieve flow, or player could choose a compact system with cooling, but that costs energy.

I think it is fairly strong since you are forced to make it via o2 production.  As an unneeded byproduct the fact it powers my base is fairly strong.  But I do run super low power designs so I am probably an outlier with 16 dups using less than 1500 kj per cycle

5 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Honestly objectively viewed its a bit to strong, i like how it is and dont see a need for a change, BUT if you compare it lets say NG&Petro gen's then if you view at it, its to simple to achieve. I mean you get it as a nice byproduct, its clean and easy to handle and very comfortable.

NG you get waste (co2+pol. water) and first of all you need to acquire NG for it, so a lot more things to handle. Even more so the Petrol gen.

Hydro is nice and i dont want a change but no its clearly a strong one.

9 hours ago, Santhor said:

Honestly objectively viewed its a bit to strong, i like how it is and dont see a need for a change, BUT if you compare it lets say NG&Petro gen's then if you view at it, its to simple to achieve. I mean you get it as a nice byproduct, its clean and easy to handle and very comfortable.

NG you get waste (co2+pol. water) and first of all you need to acquire NG for it, so a lot more things to handle. Even more so the Petrol gen.

Hydro is nice and i dont want a change but no its clearly a strong one.

Only because NG was nerfed. That's what i am saying "don't nerf anything to death". After nerf a new meta exists always and always ppl say meta is overpowered, then it's nerfed, then again a fresh meta is born.
Endless loop..

600W Would still be enough for certain SPOMs but I do not think they will nerf hydrogen, unlike with natural gas there was multiple sources of it, and with people building the fert synth system it was pretty much infinite, hydrogen depends on how much oxygen you can draw away from your build.

• If anything I feel there will be another nerf coming to natural gas soon, not he gens itself but to oil, I think it will no longer boil from oil to natural gas.
  • Steam will most likely remain the same, it will not longer let gasses slip through it as of next patch (Halleluljah) but chances are they will fix the exploits around it.
  • Solar will get some sort of boost, and most likely it will have an auto dig layer added or a new machine which will do it
  • Petroleum is currently in line with natural gas IIRC so it should be ok.

24 minutes ago, BlueLance said:
  • If anything I feel there will be another nerf coming to natural gas soon, not he gens itself but to oil, I think it will no longer boil from oil to natural gas.

That would Be disappointing. Even If it makes absolutely no sense physicswise. Its one of The few things that are challenging & worth optimising. The other thing is ranching micro.

9 minutes ago, Carnis said:

That would Be disappointing. Even If it makes absolutely no sense physicswise. Its one of The few things that are challenging & worth optimising. The other thing is ranching micro.

You don't have to micromanage ranching ;) I have 2 stables for each critter and I just leave them to do their own thing.

Also you say it would be disappointing, but if anything it would be more fun, for instance people suggested it turn to Octane instead, you never know what we might get out of it, but I am glad you didn't complain about it being changed cuz hen you have no Nat Gas XD

Personally though I expect them to add another power source this patch or next patch. and quite possibly if they add a new biome this patch i would expect the following;

• New Critter
  • New Plant
  • New Diseases (We now have space so we can now get space borne bacteria!)
  • New Medicine
  • New Generator
  • New Elements (Radioactive possibly)

The list is endless, but I reckon we are looking at a new biome coming out, I cannot imagine what else they would do to "Add" to the game that is large

16 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

You don't have to micromanage ranching ;) I have 2 stables for each critter and I just leave them to do their own thing.

Also you say it would be disappointing, but if anything it would be more fun, for instance people suggested it turn to Octane instead, you never know what we might get out of it, but I am glad you didn't complain about it being changed cuz hen you have no Nat Gas XD

Personally though I expect them to add another power source this patch or next patch. and quite possibly if they add a new biome this patch i would expect the following;

• New Critter
  • New Plant
  • New Diseases (We now have space so we can now get space borne bacteria!)
  • New Medicine
  • New Generator
  • New Elements (Radioactive possibly)

The list is endless, but I reckon we are looking at a new biome coming out, I cannot imagine what else they would do to "Add" to the game that is large

I meant planning & building automated ranches. Ones that have 0 expecting downtime & all eggs Hatch & autoreplace or Butcher themselves. Theres some thinking needed. I'm still playing accept all/fatalistic/miserable, so water is the main opponent. For me, IT would take a lot of the fun out, If they reduced heat conversion. Other thing is, playing like A build base B tap geysers C go to space D done seems a bit boring.

All the volcano designs are absolutely fun. Nothing like breathing your oil & eating your Co2 as barbeque.

27 minutes ago, Carnis said:

I meant planning & building automated ranches. Ones that have 0 expecting downtime & all eggs Hatch & autoreplace or Butcher themselves. Theres some thinking needed.

Ahhh ok, I still have expecting downtime I remove all eggs which are dropped on the one side of my stable and any dropped on the opposite side remain, hatch and any excess critters are either moved to a stable with space or executed....well I actually don't execute them all, Some go into an open stable to breed and die from old age

Archived