Combination Safe for DST

Salutations everyone. While playing The Gorge, the idea for a safe came to my mind and solidified after looking at this thread.

Why are event items being turned into skins?

This is my first suggestion post and I'm almost 100% certain this will not get added to the game, but I just felt like sharing it anyways. And so, I present my idea of how a combination safe would work in DST.

If you have any suggestions, balance questions, or just want to share a funny comment, feel free to do so.

Setting it up

When the person who has the combination safe crafted places it down, the safe will require the creator to input the combination for the code. If the maker is unable to input it for whatever reason (such as hounds or a giant interrupting), the safe will not do anything other than have the respective DST characters say that they can't access it.

Mechanic

The safe would pull up a prompt requiring a 3 digit combination to anyone who interacts with it. If they input the wrong combination, it simply won't do anything other than close the prompt. If inputted correctly, it would open like a chest.

Function

The safe would have an inventory space of up to 3 item slots. Anything could be put in it except for the ancient gateway key/bundling wraps that possess items within them. This is for balance reasons.

Perks

The safe would be completely indestructible and fireproof. That would mean no giants (including Deerclops) can break it. It can't be hammered as well so no player can break it by brute force.

How to Remove

Since the combination safe cannot be targeted by the hammer, the way to remove/destroy this would be to have an option to disassemble it. Once a player inputs the correct combination and opens the safe, a smaller prompt should be available that, when clicked on, destroys the safe and gives half of the ingredients back and drops all stored items inside on the ground.

Materials to Craft

The combination safe would require 2 red gems, 2 gears, and 1 steel wool. The safe would also require a blue-print to be able to craft it in the first place.

Method of Obtaining

The way the blueprint for the combination safe would be acquired is to defeat Dragonfly. With that amount of work required, including gathering gears/steel wool, not everyone will be able to abuse making safes to store hard-to-get resources away from the others.

Balance

I know that some people may think this would be overpowered to have a storage unit that can not be hammered and is immune to fire. This is why I limited the slots to 3 and made it so that players can't abuse bundling wraps to have 12 items stored in 1 safe.

If you consider the fact that giants can't break it to be too strong, bundling wraps can hold up to 4 items and can't be destroyed by giants either (although they are vulnerable to fire).

Mass-crafting them will be difficult since they require steel wool which is either dropped by a Ewecus or Klaus, and gears (which is from the ruins mostly).

Even if players mass-craft them, they would require you to input the code every single time you interact with it (while randomizing the numbers shown each time the prompt is opened so that players can't set the code to 000 and open it quickly). This would make using them to store everything away not practical as it would consume a great deal of time simply opening them.

Also, the randomized code can never be the correct code in case people try to spam open the safe by utilizing the number reset for their benefit.

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Forgive me if I missed it buuut...

How would the code be choosen? By the player that crafted the safe or would you see the correct code in the crafting menu?

Ah, I had forgotten to mention that. I had planned on the safe requiring the person who placed it down to input a code before it could be used.

Now that I think about it, in the event the code is compromised, having another clickable tab to change the code like the disassemble one would be a good idea.

Edit #1

Giving it a bit more thought, having an option to change the code might be a potential way for some people to troll others. As such, I guess having the code determined after the initial input should remain the code for that safe until it's disassembled and built again.

Archived