Only 2 Seasons in DS (non-RoG)

I recently started using a mod to tell me the current season, and I noticed, whenever I create a non-Rog shipwrecked compatible world, there are only 2 seasons, autumn and winter. (Top right of first image)

And when I create a non-Rog NON shipwrecked compatible world, there are only 2 seasons, summer and winter. (Top right of second image)

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 10.59.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 11.01.50 AM.png

That's bizzarre.  The Shipwrecked-compatible one, at least, SHOULD have four seasons...because Shipwrecked itself does.  Mild, Hurricane, Monsoon, and DEAR GOD EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE.

...frankly, I didn't know it even _was_ possible to make a Shipwrecked-compatible world without RoG coming along with it, explicitly said or not.  Huh.  I'll have to boot up my game and try that...

EDIT:  It just occurred to me (smacks forehead) DUH, that a Shipwrecked compatible world would have only two seasons..._if you didn't HAVE RoG in the first place_!  Weird.  See, I got the two DLC's in order (and kinda like RoG better--I love having all four seasons, even the ones that kick my butt (coughsummercough), whereas Shipwrecked's level of difficulty is EVIL) so I never saw how the game works if you have just the later one.  Well, in that case, the two seasons in the actual Shipwrecked world should be...Mild and Hurricane?  I think?

As for the non-any-expansion-pack world, just "summer" and winter is normal.  That's the way the base game is.  Autumn and spring weren't added until RoG.  Yes, that's stupid, I agree.  But that's a whole LOT of RoG's new content...that it remakes the game around a full four seasons, with appropriate features for each. 

The original Don't Starve's summer was repurposed into RoG's autumn, with the music and lighting carried over the same, but birch trees added to make it truly LOOK like autumn, which is why the first picture says it only has autumn and winter--apparently even though RoG isn't activated, the game is calling it by the newer name.  They are, temperature-wise, the same season.  It's just that one has the Bearger and pretty trees and deserts etc. and the other one doesn't.  And of course vanilla "summer" was pushed back into autumn so that RoG could have actual SUMMER, aka, again, "DEAR GOD EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE".  : P

...Notorious

Regular Dont starve only had 2 seasons. Making a shipwrecked compatible changes season Summer to Autumn because that's probably how it has to be stored as when switching between worlds to not cause confusion when loading most likely. Regular Ds's seasons are also only summer and winter but the summer acts like autumn just with a seperate name.

This.  ^  Said it much better than I did.  : P

Also I just tried a non-RoG-but-Shipwrecked-compatible world and...it's a weird hybrid!  I could tell right away that it was only the base game by the fact that there were no birch trees in sight (I was spawned in a meadow, where they tend to be easy to find) but activating Shipwrecked DOES add overheating and wetness.  So I can find a parasol (!) to make in my survival tab and the "heat stone" is now called the thermal stone (because it no longer stores only heat), as well as "thermal measurer" instead of "winterometer" (because there are other seasons to watch out for) but there's no desert, no birch forest, no Glommer, but there are...moles?!  Why moles specifically?  They don't have anything to do with overheating or wetness mechanics!  : P

Now to see if rabbits starve in traps and food left on the crock pot goes bad or not...

...Notorious

On 7/3/2018 at 7:16 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Why moles specifically?  They don't have anything to do with overheating or wetness mechanics!  : P

Now to see if rabbits starve in traps and food left on the crock pot goes bad or not...

...Notorious

Moles heavily linked with wetness. They are ingredients for creating Rain Hat :)

And yes, rabbits starve in traps

I think the reason it's Summer/Winter and Autumn/Winter is because, originally, what is now known as "Autumn" was known as "Summer" before RoG was implemented, so vanilla DS still refers to the two seasons as Winter and Summer. But presumably the code in Shipwrecked goes along with RoG and denotes it as Autumn

Archived