8 Dish Gorge Solo Guide - RNG-Proof/Non-Character-Specific

Extant

Hi, everyone. The guide has gone through a lot of minor tweaks as far as optimization goes, but there has been 1 major update.

While I was doing test runs, I found out that if you got bread for #2 and vegetable craving on #5, the pay-out of the tomato soup would give less old coins to the point where I'd be 1 coin short to buy a large grill on #6.

I fixed this problem by changing it so that if you got bread for #2, and had to buy an oven anyways, you should make a jelly roll instead of a fist full of jam. The roll gives 2 extra coins so the problem has been remedied. I'm honestly surprised that no one had run into this problem as of yet, but I am glad that I was the first to find it so that I could fix it.

I'm 100% positive now that there should be no issues, but If you run into any regarding old coins, red marks, or favors, feel free to let me know.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:17 PM, TheBlob said:

By picking up the beefalo manure every single time I walked past the beefalo I had enough for fuel and fertilizer and never needed to chop wood- it helped me save time!

Rot from spoiled food(including the free rot from the pigman field) helps a lot too!

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Rot from spoiled food(including the free rot from the pigman field) helps a lot too!

That's true. With my route, you are guaranteed to have to fertilize at least 2 tomatoes and 1 garlic. Picking up the 2 rot if you get veggie for #2 and using the rotten tomato (if you didn't get meat for #6) is a good idea.

It may only save a little bit of time, but every second saved helps. I've updated my guide to recommend picking up the 2 rotten crops by the pigmen if you get veggie for #2 as well.

Good job, minespatch! I made my fastest run so far with that advice.

Did "7" 2 times, and hole didn't give me the second red mark for it. Large pod + silver. Im getting only sapphire and favor.. Used space, so it can't be something there.

If hole getting full enrage it don't give red mark?
or mb because of the dish was already yellow?

yes, i find it. yellow stede reduce reward.
what a poop.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:16 AM, Boriya said:

Did "7" 2 times, and hole didn't give me the second red mark for it. Large pod + silver. Im getting only sapphire and favor.. Used space, so it can't be something there.

If hole getting full enrage it don't give red mark?
or mb because of the dish was already yellow?

yes, i find it. yellow stede reduce reward.
what a poop.

Ah, Koraxx mentioned that earlier as well. Yes, food does give less rewards when stale versus fresh. I guess it's time I add a note to be as fast as possible during dish 6-7 as milk spoils very quickly.

For anyone who's having trouble with stale creamy fettuccine, be sure to take care of the 2nd salt run and have the silver plate for it ready before you buy your 1st milk from Mumsy to make the 6th meal. That way, you have everything ready aside from the garlic seeds by the start of the 7th meal.

Another alternative is that you can check on your salt rack if the creamy fettuccine is stale. The 3rd salt should be ready by now and you can salt it to get it back to green.

On a side note, I did a test run to check if Klei updated the rewards, but what I got was the best run I've ever made (in terms of time).

2 hours ago, Extant said:

Ah, Koraxx mentioned that earlier as well. Yes, food does give less rewards when stale versus fresh. I guess it's time I add a note to be as fast as possible during dish 6-7 as milk spoils very quickly.

For anyone who's having trouble with stale creamy fettuccine, be sure to take care of the 2nd salt run and have the silver plate for it ready before you buy your 1st milk from Mumsy to make the 6th meal. That way, you have everything ready aside from the garlic seeds by the start of the 7th meal.

Another alternative is that you can check on your salt rack if the creamy fettuccine is stale. The 3rd salt should be ready by now and you can salt it to get it back to green.

On a side note, I did a test run to check if Klei updated the rewards, but what I got was the best run I've ever made (in terms of time).

Yeah, after reading this again, I think that was my issue. At first, when I did Fettuccine, it was still green, but I guess it turned stale by the time I put it on the altar. Now I'm doing this so much faster that it doesn't happen anymore lol . Thank you for this guide and for updating it!

1 minute ago, Koraxx said:

Yeah, after reading this again, I think that was my issue. At first, when I did Fettuccine, it was still green, but I guess it turned stale by the time I put it on the altar. Now I'm doing this so much faster that it doesn't happen anymore lol . Thank you for this guide and for updating it!

Practice makes perfect! I did state that I'd keep working and updating my guide as I found faster and easier ways after all. Ultimately, I'd like to minimize the time required to succeed so that the maximum amount of room for error is allowed.

It's one thing for a strategy to be 100% feasible even if you trip up and make some mistakes along the way and another thing entirely for a strategy to be feasible as long as you do everything 100% perfectly without wasting a second.

Thank you for re-visiting my guide. I'm not sure how many repeat viewers there are, but I added an update log to my thread so that people can tell if anything new has been added or not.

OMG why u edit it, i was used to the last redaction LOL xD, anyways great guide works like a charm, also work to carry on pubs if you get all the coins and tell the other ppl what to do xDDDDD

22 minutes ago, Soulk said:

OMG why u edit it, i was used to the last redaction LOL xD, anyways great guide works like a charm, also work to carry on pubs if you get all the coins and tell the other ppl what to do xDDDDD

Aha, sorry about that. I knew that some people would've gotten used to the old strategies by now, but I have kept testing them out and as I explored new dish orders that I miraculously managed to avoid in the past, I ran into a couple of problems I never had before.

The minor tweaks were just to extend The Gnaw's meter remaining at the end so that people following the guide can still make it even while reading the guide. There were however 2 major updates because of budget issues I ran into.

#1 was changing Fist Full of Jam to Jelly Roll if you got bread for #2. The cost deficiency of buying an oven and getting only 5 coins from bread was so harsh that you couldn't afford the large grill at #6 by being just 1 coin shy. I first tried fixing this by removing the large grill as a requirement for #6, but bread was the main issue. I couldn't find a recipe that would afford a favor for bread and use the oven instead. Eventually I decided that the extra time it'd take to make a Jelly Roll would be the easiest fix for this. Thus there are now 2 routes for #4 in case you get bread or not.

#2 was changing cheeseburger at #6 to pizza. The reason why I did this was, again, due to being short on coins since I got a bread start. I eventually found out that having bread for #2 and having meat for #6 was the most expensive route due to needing a large grill and a meat for 3/4 coins. I first thought to get a rabbit trap instead, but then you couldn't afford a salt rack at #3. Luckily I came across the easiest fix by simply changing the large grill requirement to large oven instead. It costs 4 coins less so that problem was fixed. Even better, the recipe for cheeseburger and pizza is exactly the same. The only difference is the cooking station, that's all.

If my old methods work for you, don't worry about it. You don't have to follow my guide to a T and I tried my best to allow for as much room for error as possible. It's only in the absolute worst route possible with no Wes that the budget truly becomes an issue and leaves little to no room for error, but I do have to keep this RNG-proof. Thanks for replying and don't let The Gnaw starve!

20 minutes ago, Extant said:

Aha, sorry about that. I knew that some people would've gotten used to the old strategies by now, but I have kept testing them out and as I explored new dish orders that I miraculously managed to avoid in the past, I ran into a couple of problems I never had before.

The minor tweaks were just to extend The Gnaw's meter remaining at the end so that people following the guide can still make it even while reading the guide. There were however 2 major updates because of budget issues I ran into.

#1 was changing Fist Full of Jam to Jelly Roll if you got bread for #2. The cost deficiency of buying an oven and getting only 5 coins from bread was so harsh that you couldn't afford the large grill at #6 by being just 1 coin shy. I first tried fixing this by removing the large grill as a requirement for #6, but bread was the main issue. I couldn't find a recipe that would afford a favor for bread and use the oven instead. Eventually I decided that the extra time it'd take to make a Jelly Roll would be the easiest fix for this. Thus there are now 2 routes for #4 in case you get bread or not.

#2 was changing cheeseburger at #6 to pizza. The reason why I did this was, again, due to being short on coins since I got a bread start. I eventually found out that having bread for #2 and having meat for #6 was the most expensive route due to needing a large grill and a meat for 3/4 coins. I first thought to get a rabbit trap instead, but then you couldn't afford a salt rack at #3. Luckily I came across the easiest fix by simply changing the large grill requirement to large oven instead. It costs 4 coins less so that problem was fixed. Even better, the recipe for cheeseburger and pizza is exactly the same. The only difference is the cooking station, that's all.

If my old methods work for you, don't worry about it. You don't have to follow my guide to a T and I tried my best to allow for as much room for error as possible. It's only in the absolute worst route possible with no Wes that the budget truly becomes an issue and leaves little to no room for error, but I do have to keep this RNG-proof. Thanks for replying and don't let The Gnaw starve!

this is all solved just playing as wes, cuz wes is bes xD, your guide aims for any character which is great, congratz, the thing with the new redaction is that as i know the recipes i just look mmm round 3 is that, i cook, round 5 is that i cook xD im just to lazy to remember every crave for every round xD

1 minute ago, Extant said:

It is rather bizarre to see the original challenge character become so useful (especially in solo runs).

I wonder if that could be considered irony in its truest form?

what i really really like about the fist of jelly is that you make it on the pot, so if you dont get bread you just cook meatballs or fish stew (btw fix that you say fist stew instead of fish xD), so i just cook round 3 and 4 and deliver both at the same time and go open the gate 

2 minutes ago, Soulk said:

Just did a run with #2 bread and #6 fish with 300+ping and still did it, my advantage is that i know the recipes so i place them quick so the worse route still very good time wise.

That's wonderful. The goal of my guide and my reasoning for the stations/dish orders was to find the fastest and full-proof ones so that RNG is removed out of the equation as to whether or not you'd be able to beat The Gorge each play-through.

All I'm working on at the moment is finding ways to extend The Gnaw's meter even further to allow for a relaxed atmosphere even if the game throws the worst at you.

20 minutes ago, Werecrowe said:

I did it!!! I even had time to learn a new recipe at the end (rng blessed me with vegetable 2nd and meat 3rd)

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 1.42.34 PM.png

Congratulations! You can even use my guide to help you learn new recipes as soon as the 6th dish since, by then, you've access to Sammy and have a red mark. 6 can test meat, fish, bread, 7 pasta, and 8 cheese/dessert. co.op's guide works for testing out dessert easier and vegetable/snack/soup.

6 hours ago, Extant said:

That's wonderful. The goal of my guide and my reasoning for the stations/dish orders was to find the fastest and full-proof ones so that RNG is removed out of the equation as to whether or not you'd be able to beat The Gorge each play-through.

All I'm working on at the moment is finding ways to extend The Gnaw's meter even further to allow for a relaxed atmosphere even if the game throws the worst at you.

im working on a no silver plate 100% guide even if rng get you a lot of cheese instead of dessert xD

3 hours ago, Extant said:

Congratulations! You can even use my guide to help you learn new recipes as soon as the 6th dish since, by then, you've access to Sammy and have a red mark. 6 can test meat, fish, bread, 7 pasta, and 8 cheese/dessert. co.op's guide works for testing out dessert easier and vegetable/snack/soup.

if you do it with 3 ppl and follow the guide quick by the time you win you should have around 50% or more of the gnaw bar still filled so start using salt on carvings, one person can provide the simplest meal while the other 2 gather the ingredients for the recipes u need, thats what i do to help ppl with recipes

3 hours ago, Quoth143 said:

So close...But I couldn't get the cheesecake to bake fast enough. 

Cheesecake does take a while to cook. It's not a bad idea to have a total of 5 logs/manure so that you can re-fuel it once the fire goes down to tier 3.

Also, I'm assuming you probably got bread for #2 as well. It's amazing how much trouble a bread start really is. Even though I've made the guide to try and leave as much meter as possible, bread for #2, fish for #6, and dessert for #8 usually leaves even me with only about 20-25% of the meter at the end.

A minimal amount of practice is required to succeed every time. I'm sure you'll be able to win eventually. Don't give up, but don't stress yourself too much. Good luck and have fun!

22 hours ago, Extant said:

Can you got bread at 2 and bread at 6? Coz you still will have less coins.

Is so you can just separate blues, by buying second pack at 8.

10 minutes ago, Boriya said:

Can you got bread at 2 and bread at 6? Coz you still will have less coins.

Is so you can just separate blues, by buying second pack at 8.

Ah, I have made some big changes since the last time you replied to my thread. I realized that getting bread at #2 and bread at #6 is very expensive, so I've updated my guide with a few changes.

The 1st change is to make a Jelly Roll at #4 if you get bread at #2. The 2nd change is to pick up either the large cook pot or large casserole dish by the 2nd safe. Since you will always get at least 1 of these 2 by opening 2 safes, you won't have to buy either the large cook pot at #7 or the large casserole dish at #8.

As far as my math can tell, my current revision has no problems with budget anymore.

Scone for #6 requires 2 flours so you would be forced to buy more blue seeds anyways if you got bread for #2 and bread for #6, but it was a good thought and I appreciate your help. Thanks for replying and good luck! I know you can do it!

54 minutes ago, Extant said:

Ah, I have made some big changes since the last time you replied to my thread. I realized that getting bread at #2 and bread at #6 is very expensive, so I've updated my guide with a few changes.

The 1st change is to make a Jelly Roll at #4 if you get bread at #2. The 2nd change is to pick up either the large cook pot or large casserole dish by the 2nd safe. Since you will always get at least 1 of these 2 by opening 2 safes, you won't have to buy either the large cook pot at #7 or the large casserole dish at #8.

As far as my math can tell, my current revision has no problems with budget anymore.

Scone for #6 requires 2 flours so you would be forced to buy more blue seeds anyways if you got bread for #2 and bread for #6, but it was a good thought and I appreciate your help. Thanks for replying and good luck! I know you can do it!

So if you get none at 1rst run and got pod at second - you will have less coins to do meat?

14 minutes ago, Boriya said:

So if you get none at 1rst run and got pod at second - you will have less coins to do meat?

For #6 meat I now recommend making pizza instead of cheeseburger. Pizza uses the same ingredients as cheeseburger, but uses the large oven instead. Budget only becomes an issue if you get a bread start which means you have an oven already.

Even if you don't get the large casserole dish from the 1st or 2nd safe, you will have enough money to buy both the dish for 4 coins and meat for 3 coins. It's actually cheaper than buying 1 large grill for #6 bread as it costs 8 coins.

Archived