Is the Tigershark spawn chance glitched or have been patched out and not changed on the wiki?

Is the information about the spawn chance still accurate? I have been riding like 50 waves and still no Shark. 5% chance means every 20 waves should make it spawn, but it didn't.

Also it says that the Tiger Shark has a chance to spawn by Fishing, Reeling and Catching. What do each of these mean? Does fishing mean when you put your fishing rod in the pool? Or does it mean something else? I have been clicking and unclicking on a shoal like 50 times now and she doesn't spawn, even though it says it's 1% chance to spawn. Am I just getting bad luck or does it mean something else? Need to be specific here!

http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Tiger_Shark

Well, each wave ridden has the same chance, so you're constantly on that 5% chance.

The tiger shark has showed up when I've been fishing shoal, but in order for the dice to be rolled you need to actually catch something first, although it's more likely to get crocodogs or hound sharks.

If you really want to get the Tiger Shark I suggest finding their den, it's the best location to look.

I hope this is helpful.

Yes, the information is still accurate. The possibilities here are:

1. You got the tigershark to spawn while riding waves but didn't notice. This can easily happen because the tigershark spawns offscreen and does not attack the player unless attacked (or you spawn it by getting too close to the sharkitten den); it may chase some nearby mob further off screen and just despawn without you knowing it was even there.

2. You just got really unlucky. 50 waves is pretty unlikely but definitely possible. As for fishing, it shouldn't be any surprise at all that you didn't trigger a 1% chance after 50 attempts.

If you want to know for sure what's going on, you can put

print(GetWorld().components.tigersharker:GetDebugString())

into the console. If "Can Appear In" is anything but 0.00, you triggered it showing up but it despawned without you seeing it.

5 hours ago, TheMetalMan said:

The tiger shark has showed up when I've been fishing shoal, but in order for the dice to be rolled you need to actually catch something first

This is incorrect. You can absolutely trigger the spawn just casting, regardless of whether you ever catch anything.

And what "fishing, reeling, and catching" describes is the three actions involved in fishing: casting your line, reeling the fish in, and pulling it out of the water/catching. Each time you perform one of those actions, the tigershark has a chance to spawn providing its appearance cooldown is up.

I'm pretty sure that the Tiger Shark's only signal that she's actually spawned is a line of Big Waves cascading away from her as she comes in. It's very easy to miss her if you spawn her at night. The easiest way to make her appear again is to approach the Den, because she'll always jump from wherever she is to defend it.

Archived