Could the mechanics of The Gorge mechanics for cooking and farming be implemented for the normal game in a future update?

Implementing event mechanics into the core game.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Should some of The Gorge cooking mechanics be implemented for the core game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should some of The Forge combat mechanics be implemented for the core game?

• Yes
    • No

Title says it all essentially. Wheat and potatoes in particular seem like the most common items for making food, and in fact a lot of the recipes technically are supposed to have them in the game, but they don't, and we end up with meatballs that can be cooked with a monster meat and three ice.

Cooking mechanics seem a bit more involved here as well. May be grilling meat would be better than just straight up cooking it, which could be wroth the slightly longer wait?

Being able to dig up ground with a hoe also seems more natural way of growing plants rather than making a farm. May be farms could then be turned into something that would grow plants much faster or in bigger abundance, while digging up ground to plant seeds would be slower, but easier? This could solve some balance issues and make more sense in terms of food when it comes to gameplay.

In fact, some of the mechanics from The Forge could also be in place for the normal game; when Dragonfly, Bearger, Treeguard, Gmoose or some other boss swiped, it's kind of bizarre that they don't make you fly off 2 tiles away. This would make bosses more of a challenge too and give incentive to strategy?

10 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Being able to dig up ground with a hoe also seems more natural way of growing plants rather than making a farm. May be farms could then be turned into something that would grow plants much faster or in bigger abundance, while digging up ground to plant seeds would be slower, but easier? This could solve some balance issues and make more sense in terms of food when it comes to gameplay.

I honestly quite enjoyed the tilling part of crops, but I don't think they would rework farming in the survival since it works already and would kinda be a waste of time that could be put else, But it would be fun if we could till the ground

1 minute ago, GiddyGuy said:

I honestly quite enjoyed the tilling part of crops, but I don't think they would rework farming in the survival since it works already and would kinda be a waste of time that could be put else, But it would be fun if we could till the ground

maybe farming still same but just give us little crops like carrot , onion but other side we can till and gather big crops maybe special area for that crops ? like watermelon wheat bla bla idk but i like that farming mechanichs

Difficult to say? I do want both, but would be very happy with the farming alone.

I loved the farming: is easier, feels more "natural", takes less base space, is faster, and is much cheaper*, the only downsides it has is that it will require 1 inventory slot (temporarily), is much less permanent (1 tile, 1 seed, after that has to re-tile), and will be more "annoying" (having to re-tile man, but would actually make me bother to plant seeds before the first winter). One of the main reasons almost nobody bothers with farms at the beginning is because they are expensive. Of course, for crops that actually grow on trees (durian, pomegranate, and dragon fruit) this might be a bit "unnatural", but maybe that could be the main function of the farm: for crops that require a lot of "space" to grow; or maybe that can be simplified and make very small "trees"?

* Even if the hoe only had 5 durability, that is 4 more crops planted at the same time than 1 farm, and if the cost of a single hoe is 2 twigs, and 2 flints (same as a shovel), it is very well worth it (IMO); the only benefit of the farm is that it is much more permanent.

The cooking in DST is already very complicated (reason why everyone goes meatballs, and other easy recipes; also one of the main reasons of why Warly is so bad); so adding this new system would complicate it even more unless they somehow add a cookbook recipe that updates with every new recipe (similar to this event) and you can see in-game (that would actually be pretty neat). But it would also add a lot more depth to the cooking mechanic too. My biggest fear is that, if added, would reduce cooking efficiency greatly (like the popular 6 cooking pot stations with fridge in middle).

EDIT:

As for the Forge thingy. I don't know... I can see a "healing staff" of sorts being added and maybe a buff to the grass armor. but bosses throwing you down would be very annoying unless you attack it in group (I know, it is "Together", but maybe you are killing the bearger or dragonfly alone even thoguh there is a groupd of other people for example, and him throwing you down can really disrupt the momentum? Specially the dragonfly which might be able to throw you out of her zone, de-spawning her and having to start over again. Would give the marble armor some use though. Might be cool, but might be annoying).

Yes, and no...

I personally would love to see them in base game, since they would add more flavor to mundane tasks like farming stuff / gathering resources. I know Klei is adding tons of new content and I'm really, really grateful and happy for that, but the base mechanics have been mostly same from the launch. Which is at least from game design point good thing, because even though it would probably please some veterans it would confuse the hell out of players that haven't been playing the game so much. The learning curve is pretty steep atm and making basic mechanics more complicated woudl make it even worse.

Also more complicated basic tasks would limit exploration, which is great part of the game. 

So if it was in the game I'd love to see it as "advanced cooking" / "advanced combat" somewhere in the settings that you could turn on / off as server owner. Though it would probably split the community and made the game more confusing.

It's an excellent mod idea though. Like after 100+ hours most players try mods anyway and just the thought of having a base with proper kitchen and  more complicated raids would make me beyond happy. Think I even saw somewhere on workshop a mod with Forge weapons.

I love cooking stuff so I'm always a little sad that the cooking system in DST barely gets updates if any at all. The graphics of dishes and tools in the Gorge are all so amazing, it'd be great to have some of that in the base game as well.

I would really love the ''recipe book'' to go into the live version. Sure, there are mods that tell you immediately what recipe you get but I like the idea of having your experimented recipes get recorded on the first time you make them so you can look them up later.  I can pretty much only rely on meatballs because that's still pretty much the only recipe I can actually remember even after all these years.

Archived