Join my "eco" challenge

Hello Guys,

I know there were thread about challenges before and many lost their purpose. So I always set some "restrictions" before I start a new colony just for fun and to challenge me to build "new" systems. Started with some ideas like just using "infinite" sustainable resources for food, or taking just "special" dupes (that means I set a combination of traits and I print only ALL dupes matching that criteria).

So to make it more concrete (that´s my rules right now, but I would like your opinions about it):

- Fatalistic / miserable Settings

- Only printing dupes that have the "Pacifist" trait

- Don´t use:

- "Rock granulator" (Will challenge you to use normal heavi-watt wire at least in the beginning)

- "Wheezeworts" (Harvest any wheezewort you can reach and don´t plant them)

- "AETN" (Same as above, to make temperature control more dependent on fixed output temps)

(If your up for it: don´t kill critters with other methodes and don´t use the omlette recipe)

GOAL: Keeping all dupes alive while progressing towards a 100% barbeque eating colony that can stay alive without player interaction.

1. I would call it "eco" cause your 100% sustainable. (You could live without further expansion and don´t just dump surplus heat/resources somewhere)

2. You will never actually "kill" critters, just collect meat if your critters die after their normal life cycle.

59 minutes ago, blash365 said:

All good and fine, but how is a colony, which is

a) relinquishing plants and

b) killing animals for food to a 100% meat diet

something you can call "Eco"?

19 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Well. It sure isn't vegan :wilson_vforvictory:

Ah...you guys are looking for DETA

Duplicants for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. The goals, naturally, are to embrace nature and all critters, respect them, and treat them fairly.

2 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

1. I would call it "eco" cause your 100% sustainable. (You could live without further expansion and don´t just dump surplus heat/resources somewhere)

2. You will never actually "kill" critters, just collect meat if your critters die after their normal life cycle.

Eco =/= 100% Sustainible

Eco literally means "environment"...so, yeaaah.

And I think it's kind of impossible to get towards a 100% BBQ colony without killing some critters...well, at least physically. 

Spoiler

Deep Frier. dupelenny.png.4329ba23ae8c8d43ec08628e3d4f9319.png

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Eco =/= 100% Sustainible

Yeah I know^^ (But gets more attention as a title^^)

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

And I think it's kind of impossible to get towards a 100% BBQ colony without killing some critters...well, at least physically. 

Not impossible and should be a challenge. (You will have enough workforce, but you will need to build huge critter farms and need a couple ranchers)

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Spoiler

Clickbait :3

17 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Not impossible and should be a challenge. (You will have enough workforce, but you will need to build huge critter farms and need a couple ranchers)

GAZE IN AWE AT MY MAGNIFICENT RANCHER COLONY!!! I HAVE 21 DEDICATED RANCHERS CONSTANTLY AT WORK, AND ALL OF MY CRITTERS STILL DON'T GET GROOMED!!!

jhfgdsdfgfhfgdfsdasfdghgsfad.sav

Spoiler

Partial clip:

20180527123405_1.thumb.jpg.d6e6acd723125302cc2182266920d2ac.jpg

Spoiler

Yes it's a debug colony shush.

On 27/05/2018 at 4:13 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

Hello Guys,

I know there were thread about challenges before and many lost their purpose. So I always set some "restrictions" before I start a new colony just for fun and to challenge me to build "new" systems. Started with some ideas like just using "infinite" sustainable resources for food, or taking just "special" dupes (that means I set a combination of traits and I print only ALL dupes matching that criteria).

So to make it more concrete (that´s my rules right now, but I would like your opinions about it):

- Fatalistic / miserable Settings

- Only printing dupes that have the "Pacifist" trait

- Don´t use:

- "Rock granulator" (Will challenge you to use normal heavi-watt wire at least in the beginning)

- "Wheezeworts" (Harvest any wheezewort you can reach and don´t plant them)

- "AETN" (Same as above, to make temperature control more dependent on fixed output temps)

(If your up for it: don´t kill critters with other methodes and don´t use the omlette recipe)

GOAL: Keeping all dupes alive while progressing towards a 100% barbeque eating colony that can stay alive without player interaction.

....when i read eco challenge, i'm thinking using glossy drecko to create plastic, hatch to made refine metal (or go looking for iron comet), puft to make algae, and acu to make polluted dirt to make new dirt, slikscter to make....euh nothing cause oil and pretroleum is not really eco (except if you need a coolant, something like this

I don't get the point that you disable all the cooling stuff. So how can we cool down the colony without wheezeworts and AETN?

And I think these should be regarded as `eco` because they do not cost any uncyclable resources.

On 27/05/2018 at 5:04 PM, watermelen671 said:

Ah...you guys are looking for DETA

Eco =/= 100% Sustainible

Eco literally means "environment"...so, yeaaah.

Reveal hidden contents

Deep Frier. dupelenny.png.4329ba23ae8c8d43ec08628e3d4f9319.png

lol I actually already play like this because I feel bad killing animals. I end up with surplus of BBQ just from them dying of natural causes.

It's not impossible, you just need alot of ranches. The critters die of old age faster than your dupes can eat them depending on number of critters and dupes.

You can do it easily with a very large dense puft farm and also pacus. Both have short life spans.
I have a monster dense puft farm in my current playthrough that I use to supply my base with oxygen. And as a dump for all the excess water from geysers and electrolisers etc.

Not being able to cook eggs is a bit silly though because you will eventually end up with the game lagging until it's unplayable. You need to get rid of the eggs with automation so that they don't overpopulate and break the game with lag.

This is my open ranch oxylite factory.

If I don't control the numbers by taking away the dense puft eggs every once in a while the game ends up lagging. There used to be way more but I had to kill off half of the critters in all of my ranches because the game was unplayable.

Across all of my ranches I was overproducing BBQ without 'murdering' anything though. Just had sweeper arms bringing meat and eggs to my base. I don't have a pincha nut farm either. 21 dupes.

Dense pufts and Pacus would be the easiest to do this with because..
Pacus don't require feeding after you have bred the number you want
There is usually an infinite supply of water on the map and the pufts can be fed with SPOMs. It's actually a really good way to get rid of water while giving yourself food tbh.

dense puft farm.png

Archived