How ham solves (kinda) the DS canon

When the Forge first came out, I watched a Volx stream in the middle of a library where everybody was wondering where the wifi went. Then when I first noticed the pigs in the crowd I spazzed out in the chat with a very large and incomplete lore theory. This was met with much "shut up, that theory is just plain stupid". Then I got around to buying SW and noticed the pigs in that to, and then finished the theory.

STUPID THEORY TIME

In vanilla DS, ROG and all forms of DST, the three games confirmed to be canon, there is some variation on the pigmans or merms, the inhabitants of the constant. However, all the non-confirmed canon games (SW and Hamlet) also share this element, but with a small twist. Thousands of people per day screaming "ADD SW TO DST". Now, anybody in there right minds would just tell them that SW isn't canon, and if they could please stop bugging them, it's pretty annoying. But Klei hasn't done that, despite the utter confusion (and annoying posts) surrounding SW. Same for Hamlet. What I'm saying is that SW and Hamlet are just some other worlds in the portal, like the ones that Punga refers to in his monologue.

This could (maybe) mean one of two things:

1: Klei are incredibly cruel, and just want to torture us.

or 2: Hamlet and SW are canon, they're just withholding the information.

Do please not this is just a stupid theory, so if it turns out to be incorrect please don't murder me in cold blood, I have a family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raspberry Milk said:

What I'm saying is that SW and Hamlet are just some other worlds in the portal, like the ones that Punga refers to in his monologue.

Wait... I thought the devs had all but confirmed this to be the case(?)
It's gotta be somewhere around here...

I've thought for a while that SW itself is at least some form of canon. Maxwell's head laughing in the smog of a volcano in a trailer, his mentioning towards the SW creatures if you play as him too... And that I can still take over the nightmare throne with a SW character shows there's some close intertwining. 

I think Hamlet is also supposed to be cannon of some kind, placed somewhere between the  beginning of Wilson's entry and Charlie's reign. At least from what I think I've seen Klei say. I think both Hamlet and SW are in the constant, but probably very distant places.

On our earth we have many diverse areas and biomes but all really quite distant. Going between the desert of Africa, then to the jungle of India, then to the temperate forests of Europe or Russia, would be no simple task, and no short journey. They all may be incredibly far away, but probably still in the same dimension/world, right?...

But then, the survivors were said to be in separate facets of existence or something before Charlie connected them with the florid postern, I think. Prior to Charlie's reign, it seems that the only other way to break these separating walls was Adventure mode - The throne and finding Wes, or other forms of character-unlocking. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I've thought for a while that SW itself is at least some form of canon. Maxwell's head laughing in the smog of a volcano in a trailer, his mentioning towards the SW creatures if you play as him too... And that I can still take over the nightmare throne with a SW character shows there's some close intertwining. 

I think Hamlet is also supposed to be cannon of some kind, placed somewhere between the  beginning of Wilson's entry and Charlie's reign. At least from what I think I've seen Klei say. I think both Hamlet and SW are in the constant, but probably very distant places.

On our earth we have many diverse areas and biomes but all really quite distant. Going between the desert of Africa, then to the jungle of India, then to the temperate forests of Europe or Russia, would be no simple task, and no short journey. They all may be incredibly far away, but probably still in the same dimension/world, right?...

But then, the survivors were said to be in separate facets of existence or something before Charlie connected them with the florid postern, I think. Prior to Charlie's reign, it seems that the only other way to break these separating walls was Adventure mode - The throne and finding Wes, or other forms of character-unlocking. 

That makes.. quite a bit of sense. However, I don't think the characters interactions in the games are canon, seeing as it's never brought up. However, I don't think Hamlet is part of the constant, due to it (most likely) being the pig exclusive of the elder bog, so it makes more sense for it to be it's own plane.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

However, I don't think the characters interactions in the games are canon, seeing as it's never brought up.

I think they said they want to be vague on character interactions because everyone had their own way of getting around. I know they said Wilson, when Charlie came to take the throne, wasn't the only one to have had been sitting on the throne between then and Maxwell - Others had come but they didn't say who, probably because that answer is different for every single person who's played the game. 

The order which certain characters are throned or what character unlocks/rescues who is different for each person. So what kind of interactions/who interacts with who isn't canon because it varies... But the fact that at least some very small amount of prior interaction occurred is probably canon, I think? I'm not Klei, after all.

9 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

However, I don't think Hamlet is part of the constant, due to it (most likely) being the pig exclusive of the elder bog, so it makes more sense for it to be it's own plane.

I think I remember it being said that the pigs came from another plane, so that would make sense, and I was kind of thinking that. I don't know how Wilson got into there.    But maybe we'll see a lot more when we get to actually play Hamlet... If the darkness is still out to kill me, I'm going to guess it's the constant.

Forge was definitely a different realm... No hunger, no impending darkness wanting to kill you, and it was verified to be a different realm itself. I think game mechanics must change when a realm is truly different. And Hamlet does have shopping? But that might not be enough, trading already existed in the constant, this would just be a more complicated form of it.

The spiders and other few native creatures in SW among other things tell me it must be the same world - A SW character can march to the throne, Charlie is still present, ect... These indicate to me that SW is in the same 'world,' just a different place or biome in that world. But Forge is completely different. So I'd probably determine Hamlet off of these two examples, myself.

We'll just have to see how different Hamlet is, I actually don't know a whole lot about it yet, so I can't say anything for sure myself. But my original thoughts were just what you said - Probably a different place, probably the origin of the pig-men or something. Not that I know how Wilson would get there if it is, but I'm sure we'll find some explanation if that's the case.