Chase the Grade: Insane Challenge Spike

I was doing fine with this game right up until Chase the Grade. I can accept failure in these games just fine, but Chase the Grade requires an unreasonable amount of sustained perfection compared to all the levels before it. There's a couple things that go into this.

1. Time. This is the first level with such a limited time requirement. You can't assess the situation for more than a second before the game starts literally blinding you, making it even harder to figure out what to do.

2. Lack of Checkpoints. I saw this brought up in another post, but it bares repeating. Every level before this had checkpoints. I actually looked up a playthrough of this level, and the fact that it's as long as other levels with no check points is ridiculous.

To be worth me playing through, the level would have to either be shorter or have checkpoints. After fully appreciating how much precision would be required to finish this level, I'm not sure I can keep at it. And the fact that the game currently gates progress not by stars, but by completing the previous challenge, and only the previous challenge, bottlenecks the ability to continue. Why create a star system that superficially resembles the one from a 3D Mario game if you're not going to offer any of the freedom.

I'll probably take a week away from this beta and see if anything changes with this.

Beta wave 2 has ended last night, so that week will be extended to however long it is until the next wave, alas!

For this map you'll need to invest multiple hours repeatedly going and failing over and over to complete.

It is a huge spike in difficulty to be sure, but once you do beat it the feeling is glorious.

I find that the map's beginning is the hardest part and easiest to mess up since it does need the precision of jumps to make it through.  After the wooden poles bit, however, you don't need to do any tricks or special maneuvers to beat the level.

I'm not sure what progress gate you're talking about- this is the last level in the map and you should be able to go to the master class map to pick up skills you'll be using in this chase the grade part.

Please don't feel obligated to get every (map/stage)'s stars 100% before moving on if you're unable to do it.  I tried this and it's a bad strategy for this title.  While possible to do, if you're missing or lacking the technical knowledge or capability then you would be best suited to going to a level that helps you learn it before trying to apply it.

I have the same problem. I've completed all the other levels with little problem, but a hundred or so attempts into this one and I've barely even made it to the wooden poles at the furthest. I've gotten both the lowest-time star and the no-death star on a couple other levels, but the fact that Chase the Grade forces you to do both at once to even complete it at all is insane. As it is, I'd expect it to be the last level in an 'Expert' set of maps, not in the starter set. It's not a fun level as-is, just incredibly frustrating.

this level makes me want to literally throw my computer through the wall

I can do speed runs.

I can do no-death runs.

I CANNOT do a no-death speed run. I'm sorry, i'm not that skilled. I'm not doing this level anytime soon because it makes me want to delete the game from my library, and i DO enjoy the rest of the game when it isn't crap like this

I fully disagree with nerfing Chase the Grade. Beating it gave a sense of accomplishment i had not felt from gaming in years. I would love for each map to have 1 optional ultra-challenge, akin to chase, with even harder levels to come. Of course, I would not expect these levels to be required to beat to progress.

3 hours ago, car keys said:

I fully disagree with nerfing Chase the Grade. Beating it gave a sense of accomplishment i had not felt from gaming in years. I would love for each map to have 1 optional ultra-challenge, akin to chase, with even harder levels to come. Of course, I would not expect these levels to be required to beat to progress.

i like that idea, and i'd like it even more if Chase the Grade was made wiht an optional 'normal' mode where you can have checkpoints to at least get through it lol. I don't mind practicing a level over and over and over until i get speed run and no death run, but having to start from the beginning each time when i'm still learning the level sucks awfully

Made a Klei account just to add my agreement to this as well.

While I don't think the current Chase the Grade should be nerfed, it definitely should either be optional, or be a "hardcore/hardmode" version of the same run (with the normal one still being timed, but with checkpoints). 
The game felt like it went from a nice (but challenging) parkour game, to an unforgiving, speedrun race to keep up.

The main issue is the no checkpoints, coupled with being forced to rush to keep up with the floating "grade". You can't even surpass the floating grade (to gain some extra time to take other parts slowly), as the floating grade will just speed up when you get close to it. 

For the last run on the first zone, it's quite the leap in difficulty. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------

While we're on the topic; (as of writing this) I have yet to beat "Chase the Grade", but can anyone else confirm to me if there's any other no checkpoint & timed parkour missions aside from this mission? If so, I think I'll be taking a breather from the game, as (while I enjoy challenging myself), I like to do it at my own pace.

1 hour ago, Owlski said:

Made a Klei account just to add my agreement to this as well.

While I don't think the current Chase the Grade should be nerfed, it definitely should either be optional, or be a "hardcore/hardmode" version of the same run (with the normal one still being timed, but with checkpoints). 
The game felt like it went from a nice (but challenging) parkour game, to an unforgiving, speedrun race to keep up.

The main issue is the no checkpoints, coupled with being forced to rush to keep up with the floating "grade". You can't even surpass the floating grade (to gain some extra time to take other parts slowly), as the floating grade will just speed up when you get close to it. 

For the last run on the first zone, it's quite the leap in difficulty. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------

While we're on the topic; (as of writing this) I have yet to beat "Chase the Grade", but can anyone else confirm to me if there's any other no checkpoint & timed parkour missions aside from this mission? If so, I think I'll be taking a breather from the game, as (while I enjoy challenging myself), I like to do it at my own pace.

The Wholesale level has a similar stage as the last one, but its a lot easier. And I should mention that you don't HAVE TO complete Chase the Grade at any point if you dont want to. If I remember correctly, all the areas (like School and Wholesale) should be open by default. Meaning that you don't have to complete every stage in the previous area to move on to the next. This is what I remember hearing about the progression of the game but obviously I could be wrong or it could be changed in the future

1 hour ago, Fateless27 said:

The Wholesale level has a similar stage as the last one, but its a lot easier. And I should mention that you don't HAVE TO complete Chase the Grade at any point if you dont want to. If I remember correctly, all the areas (like School and Wholesale) should be open by default. Meaning that you don't have to complete every stage in the previous area to move on to the next. This is what I remember hearing about the progression of the game but obviously I could be wrong or it could be changed in the future

Oh? I wasn't aware of this. 
I'll need to check it out then if true, as I thought the game was sorta level-based/restricted in that I had to finish Chase the Grade in order to proceed to the next area, but however never looked if I actually couldn't. Thanks for the info. 

Archived