Smooth hatch should produce raw metal from minerals

We already have 3 ways to get refined metal: Granulator, Metal refinery and Volcanos. Smooth hatches are 4th method, and it's pretty bad, because you need a lot of time to get them and they produce only 75% of consumed ore. They just not worth it.

There is no way to get raw metal, so it's not infinite. Would be very very nice to see hatches that can eat minerals and produce raw metal instead of smooth hatches or maybe even new type of hatch

Well they do act as a middle-ground for metal-refining. 25% units more effective than a rock granulator, you get eggs from them and they don't cost an unholy amount of power like the Metal Refinery does. Thats why it should just be a new Hatch variant instead, that consumes 140kg of refined metal and makes 50% of it into its Raw counterpart. Maybe it has a dual diet where it needs to eat both Stone and Metal to combine them in their innards to the Raw metal?

3 hours ago, Alfons100 said:

Well they do act as a middle-ground for metal-refining. 25% units more effective than a rock granulator, you get eggs from them and they don't cost an unholy amount of power like the Metal Refinery does. Thats why it should just be a new Hatch variant instead, that consumes 140kg of refined metal and makes 50% of it into its Raw counterpart. Maybe it has a dual diet where it needs to eat both Stone and Metal to combine them in their innards to the Raw metal?

so, if there is no metal volcanos, you have to refine you raw metal to get less raw metal

1 hour ago, landromat said:

so, if there is no metal volcanos, you have to refine you raw metal to get less raw metal

Well, otherwise you can have a permanent feeding loop, right? Or did I phrase something wrong

On 5/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, Alfons100 said:

Well, otherwise you can have a permanent feeding loop, right? Or did I phrase something wrong

As long as this is a new variant. It works. Agreed an infinite feeding loop would allow free eggs to be made without ever losing mass.

I think it would be better/easier to simply guarantee a random metal volcano.  This still makes your world unique since some world will have to make do without infinite gold or wolframite or whatever metal they like.   Also, simpler on dev time.

This also preserves the usefulness of smooth hatches while also solving the finite metal issue.  I like smooth hatches as is because in midgame if I already have 80t+ of gold, I don't mind just making a one off stable of 7 smooth hatches for a loss of only about 5-10t.  This gives me no heat, unlike the metal refinery, so it's great while I'm setting up more permanent solutions.  Plus if I do find a metal volcano, I can keep using them if I like for slightly less labor in refining. 

I agree that it is kind of annoying to get them, though.  I usually end up having to make 5t or so refined metal by hand while I'm setting up the stable., which means I have to research metal refinery anyways since that's a fair amount of metal loss with a rock granulator.  But I guess you could just take a hit of a few tons of metal even then and just keep your granulator.

I'd rather see smooth hatches convert metal to metal of another sort (e.g. copper to iron).

The motivation behind it would be that it is very likely to have one metal geyser on the map, but not one of every kind, so naturally there will be a shortage of one metal (let's say iron) and a superflous of another (let's say copper) on the long run.

Smooth hatches could cover this niche, allowing players to convert metals.

16 hours ago, blash365 said:

I'd rather see smooth hatches convert metal to metal of another sort (e.g. copper to iron).

The motivation behind it would be that it is very likely to have one metal geyser on the map, but not one of every kind, so naturally there will be a shortage of one metal (let's say iron) and a superflous of another (let's say copper) on the long run.

Smooth hatches could cover this niche, allowing players to convert metals.

I don't know, you always can refine metal you want. With any metal volcano you don't need that much. Main problem for me is raw metal is finite

The heat difference with smooth hatches is actually quite significant, though.  I ended up smelting about 5k iron ore with a refinery and this heated up about 15t of water that was 35C water to 60C.  And I'm sure volcano metal is much worse than that.

It would be nice. Because volcanos are infinite refine metal but you'll eventually run out of the other metals.
Have them eat different minerals to produce ores.
Phosphorite/Refine Iron - Iron
Sandstone/Refine Copper - Copper
Sedimentary Rock/Refined Gold - Gold

Refined material would return a 1:1 and the mineral would be a 3:1

Archived