Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

Okay, so, first time doing anything with these forums at all, for me, actually. But I come here to present some of the stuff I do for this game, because otherwise it's not shown to anyone but close friends, and that's no fun, not when you spend enough time on it.  I come here because you can't just throw stuff anywhere, I wanted a relevant community to display it in. I hope, that this would be that relevant community. 

I also hope that I will maintain activity here. My inspiration for a certain thing comes and goes like the tide. It may fade, but it will also return. The real question is, if I spend long enough gone, will I have the guts to show what I have done here again once more?  Probably. 

For starters, I guess I have this, it was sort of a request from a friend though. Webber is always fun to draw, but this is a really tiny sketchy thingy.
I don't have a whole lot of digital art other than gameplay comics I do. Which is silly because digital-art is my specialty. 

20180107_131854_1__by_gallusvarius-dbz97

Let me fetch those gameplay comics. Gonna do the best ones first, since I have some pretty old ones of considerably worse art quality.

Spoiler

don_t_starve_together_comic_by_gallusvar
(Copied description from deviantart)

Me and my little sister were playing Don't Starve Together... She made a lot of meatballs. Over 40 meatballs. 

It was sorta my fault for killing so many things, as to cause an overload of meat. 
It was bad because the started to go stale.
Then I got in a tangle with a treeguard (Killing too many things again...) and, stale meatballs restore 1 HP, so... I ate them, all of them for 1 HP and recovered by that.

When characters eat stale food, they remark, so she was watching me stand there with the fridge open, repeating the phrase 'that was stale beast,' again and again and again, though she didn't know what I was eating. She never figured out where all the meatballs went until I explained it later. 

---------
So, this is me and my sister playing together. She's the Wendy, I'm the Wigfrid. I have two sisters who play this game, so the cosplays in this first post will be of the other sister. I guess we all kind of have 'mains,' if you will, of characters very fitting to our personalities. One sister is much like Wendy, I carry an amazing amount of similarities to Wigfrid, and the other sister is much like Walani, so it's only natural that we gravitated towards those characters, I suppose. I mean, we're not exactly like them, but there is enough similariety that we imprint(?) or impose enough of our own nature upon the idea of them. Wise of playstyle, I appreciate a great many of the characters, as much for playstyle as being a fan of the character themselves as well, so I don't just play Wigfrid. But in DST I usually do.

I don't have an original character for Don't Starve like many other artists, it seems. Nor does my 'cannon' of the lore include any extra characters of my own design. I have my own characters but I keep them out of the DS storyline, I like to try and be as straight-forward as I perceive I guess. 

Next up, me and my brother.

dstcomic4_png_by_gallusvarius-dbw1exq.pn

I drew the hat and skirt (His articles of clothing) to help separate him from the usual webber I draw, that being my webber-maining friend.   Basically, we were surviving on a public server as nomads, and, well... This happened somewhere along the way.   The penguins and the beefalo both, ended up being the death of him.
Next time, hopefully he won't stand in the middle of hordes of creatures only to have them turn on him.

They aren't the best execution of beefalo, but I wasn't interested in spending time on the details or even fixing the line-art with them. If it were a true illustration and not a comic, then maybe.

I have not made a full-scale illustration for DS or anything concerning it yet, oddly. I probably should.  I made a half-illustration ( I probably spent 4 hours on it where as the serious stuff I do can take 9 or more. Sadly, I don't think the extra time spent really helps improve what I do... But every detail counts I guess.) for the icon here, when I realized I had no full-illustrations, despite my recent focus on the lore.   So I drew something, -specifically- with the purpose of being my icon here. 
So, here's a literal close-up of my icon.

iconihope_by_gallusvarius-dcabh7n.png

Her ear is too small. Oh well. I'll make something better later, most likely. If not, then it just means the energy was expended on some other illustration. But this is what I mean by a 'half-illustration.' I have not weeded out flaws or given it full detail like I should... You can see fuller illustrations of mine on DeviantArt, of which I will put the link to at the bottom of all this.

I also have a little animation I did, undoubtedly worse than the quality in my comics, but like the comics, it has one purpose, one message it's trying to get to, so there is reason for it. Let me see if I can find a way to link animations/videos somehow.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/84e9/f/2017/352/f/5/woodie_and_the_tentacle_by_gallusvarius-dbx5fr2.mp4

Yep, there you go. You'll probably want info before clicking a random link though. It's basically an animated version of this comic here:

tentacleambushcomic_by_gallusvarius-dbwk

Basically, my friend was going through the swamp, winter, had his helmet I gave him, ect... He started to get colder, so he put his hat on, and the second he did, tentacle popped out and smacked him down. Instantly.  Lag had literally murdered him earlier, so his max HP was low, and the Tenta more or less one-shot him. Or two-shot if you wanna be literal, since Tenta seem to attack twice but just quickly. 

So far, I only have a smidgen of literature for DS, but I think you'll find this poem worth it. 

A poem for Don't Starve's Summer:
Roses are red,
And violets are blue.
Now they are on fire.
And now you are too.

Me and my Walani-Maining sister are working on cooking food from the game too. Ever eaten something in-game and been like, 'Man, this makes me hungry, I wish I could eat that in real life?' As the title of the game ever been far too ironic to how you feel at a given moment? Well then, this'll probably just make it worse considering these are only photos and therein not edible!

Cosplay and photos of banana found in this 'hidden content' dropdown.

Spoiler

For now, all we have is the Banana Pop from Shipwrecked. We live in a subtropical area so we went to a park with cane plants (It looks like bamboo, grows in tropical places, we basically live in Shipwrecked. And honestly, I like Shipwrecked worlds more than ROG ones, probably because SW looks like the wildlife and such around here.) and used it as a background for the food photo and Walani cosplay. 20180430_155029_by_gallusvarius-dcaek9s.

(And some better shots but that did not have the benefit of an epic, fitting bamboo backround.) 

20180430_003421_by_gallusvarius-dcaelis.
20180430_003405_by_gallusvarius-dcaeljd.

Unfortunately, it looks like a plain, boring, frozen banana on a stick. I guess in-game that's what it looks like too, and actually is.
However, in reality, this thing was really tasty. You see, to prevent the banana from turning brown overnight like bananas do, and to improve flavor, I made a glaze out of honey, lemon juice (To further prevent browning & it also tastes good with banana), sugar and vanilla, and that glaze is literally frozen onto this banana. You just can't see it. Which is just as well, you shouldn't be able to, or else it wouldn't look like the in-game food.
latest?cb=20151208105712
The in-game banana pop. 

We glazed more bananas like this because they were delicious. But the photo one used a real stick from our backyard that we washed furiously. The others used normal wooden skewers that were less likely to leave splinters in our food. The skewers were less thick though, and do not hold the weight of the banana as well as the stick from outdoors did, so maybe the DS characters aren't crazy. Maybe. Or maybe we should check their sanity stats. Anyway- These bananas hurt your teeth when fresh from the freeze though, kinda like frozen-hard ice-cream, so you gotta give them just a little bit of time out of it before they stop doing that. The banana itself melts into a strange, ice-cream-like texture that I had not expected, but it makes sense; Ice crystals formed within the banana as it froze, crystallizing the water within it, causing it to explain and breaking down cell walls inside the banana, and then when thawed, it becomes a mushy thing of liquid and broken cell-walls. (Now I sound like Wilson, talking about all this science. I could see it happening though:   Willow: Why is it mushy now?   Wilson: The juices inside crystallized and burst the original fibrous cell walls, and then melted again.  Willow: Oh. )

I wanted to make the Guacamole too, I have the ingredients for it, I'm stumped because it has a very unique bowl that I don't know how to get without ordering it online or something just as complicated, and I want to avoid spending money for a single purpose like this, even if we'd probably just use the bowl in the future. 

latest?cb=20140417075919
The in-game Guacamole, and the bowl that stumped me.

I hoped to carve the light-pink center of a tomato into a star-shape to use for the 'mole-noses.' 
Me and my sister kind of hope to make a lot of, if not all, of the DS recipes, though the Taffy would be an example of something we'd just buy, most likely... Factories do a better job of wrapping and coloring candy than I do. I make candy, but it's not pretty candy. Tasty candy, but not pretty. 

We also have some Walani cosplays here. The day was cloudy when we took the shots... Just pretend it's hurricane season. The first one was taken on a different day before we had the earrings made, though.   I put together the costume, the surfboard, and the earrings. (They are 'clip-on' and made of wire painted gold. No piercings here.)

20180406_161418_by_gallusvarius-dcaell1.
(Taken from our balcony, our palm tree still made it kinda accurate?)
20180430_153648_by_gallusvarius-dcaelmv.
(...We all look so sleepy... I guess that's fitting too.)
20180430_153709_by_gallusvarius-dcaellt.
20180430_154623_by_gallusvarius-dcaelk4.
Oi, windsurfers snuk into our pictures. You can't see their faces though, so oh-well.  Just pretend they're not there?...
20180430_155018_by_gallusvarius-dcaelo0.
Walani and the banana pop. She covered her face on the original idea that we did not want the internet to see her face, but after discussion, decided otherwise.
20180430_154818_by_gallusvarius-dcaelpw.
Walani, tired from a day of surviving, tries to enjoy her banana pop. Until a random person with a phone walked up and started taking pictures.
20180430_154730_by_gallusvarius-dcaelqv.
Next up, the last one.
20180430_154952_by_gallusvarius-dcaeloz.

There we go, that's all the cosplay for now. I think my sister makes a pretty great Walani.  By the way, no good photos showed it, but the surfboard has the three 'spikes' on the other side of it. I will try to get some photos of the individual board to present here. I may someday redo the paint on it too.
Also some of the photos that banana is missing one tip - She bit it while we were taking photos. It was just too delicious, I suppose...

I have some more sketches to show,  but my sketches are kinda bad because I always work with digital art... Forgive my quality, if you will. 

Spoiler

20180114_012731_by_gallusvarius-dcaeoti.
One of my first drawings, I had just saved Wes with Wigfrid after farming Adventure mode a whole lot, and was feeling especially inspired around this time.
I still haven't gone out of my way to actually win yet. Taking my time I suppose, but I've gone through Adventure mode and 'suicided' a lot to avoid 'winning.' Silly, isn't it?
20180114_012746_by_gallusvarius-dcaeouk.
Ugh, the flower is in the wrong spot. Were this a digital form, I'd copy and paste it somewhere else. But alas, no, I'd have to erase and re-draw it... I'm bad with eraser marks.
20180114_012853_by_gallusvarius-dcaeoso.
This is like, my only drawing where she is actually wearing a helmet. I forget to draw it a lot. Also my only drawing where I had a white-eye'd character actually having PUPILS. 
20180502_001930_by_gallusvarius-dcaeqnn.
Wendy and Webber, Shadow Variety. The steam tarding cards by Klei feature them together, so regardless of people's ideas for shipping or not, here they are, together. My phone has not provided a good quality though, but... The drawing itself is a lot better than some of the other, less-good ones I've been putting here. (Though I have some 'respect' or 'Acknowledgement' for the possibility of romantic feelings occurring between the survivors. Direct 'relationships' might be more questionable, but, a scene like, Webber silently crushing on Wendy would... Make some sort of sense? He is still a human in there.   I have this feeling for any 'ship' depicted on the steam trading cards or in any other way subtly 'verified' by Klei, provided it does not contradict. For example, Willow and Wilson are obviously frequently paired together, but whether or not I perceive that either has feelings for sure or is even honest about said feelings may be more questionable.   I guess you could say, I 'Acknowledge' Wilson and Willow liking each other, Webber and Wendy, Maxwell and Charlie, Wigfrid and Wes. While the cards also depict Wx-78 & Woodie, I think that was result of Woodie clearly being implied with Lucy, and Wx-78 is a 'genderless' robot, So those two were paired because they were the odd ones out, or a clear example of 'We're just friends.' Wicker seems more like a 'mother' to the child-minded Wolfgang, that would make more sense than romantic association, so that explains their pairing.)
20180502_001729_by_gallusvarius-dcaeqto.

Formal skins. I had dialog going through my head.
Webber: We know you hate parties, but you really don't need to look so grumpy, Wilson. Be dapper like Wes here.
Wilson: -Eyeing Wes's flowers- ...I forgot to bring Willow's flowers. 
I have not yet drawn Willow, Wicker, Winona, Or any of the Shipwrecked characters, oddly. It's especially weird that I haven't drawn Walani yet because I use her a lot for SW, the surfboard is really useful. 

Now, I do have more than this, but we're gonna stop right there. This has been a lot, and I should allow for response before I dare to add more.
But as promised, for those who want to see more, here is my DeviantArt.
https://gallusvarius.deviantart.com/

Edited by gallusvarius
Added 'spoilers' to make it easier to read and no longer an intimidatingly huge wall of art. It may still be intimidating but at least less so at this point.
  • Like 7

I notice that there's a progression of time with your art. Nice to see the time you've put with the game.

Your Wigfrid really looks different from the other interpretations. Has more of a wildchild feel in your interpretation.

Nice look on your Walani cosplay! Being nearby the ocean also helps.

(Forgive me if I do not know how to respond to things on these forums/whatever random buttons I'm supposed to press.)

Yeah, I have some old comics from over a year ago, but in recent times I've increased in interest.

I noticed my interpretation was different. There is not a whole lot of focus on her, and a lot of it doesn't seem to do her a lot of justice, from my eyes, but... I try to depict her more as I see Klei do.   Some say she's really tall, but in Forge Trailer, she didn't look any bigger than anyone else? Actually, looked a little smaller.

I think my idea for her would be, like, eh, a honey-badger; Small, but goes out and beats up lions.    I feel stronger towards this because she doesn't deal as much direct damage as Wolfgang, for example, but gains sanity and Hp (Which would more likely be result of attitude) from battle. Just a lot of tenacity and stubbornness making her hard to bring down, instead of raw strength like it is for Wolfgang. (It being his physical strength is further implied to me by how he scales with his stomach, where as Wigfrid's defense and damage buffs stay with her to the last, dying moment.)
Her max hunger is less than many others as well. Wolfgang has a larger stomach and hunger drain; I mostly associate more drain being an indication of a character being 'bigger,' since that's what matters, but I'll take size as a more subtle indication too.
They are not the only indicators, since we can imagine there has to be some size differences between Wilson, Winona, Wendy, Willow, Woodie, and everyone else with normal appetites. It's only a minor indicator to me that helps me decide for those characters who do happen to have differences. Sometimes if given a reason though (Webber has to feed himself AND a spider??) I can still overlook something.
Wes becomes confusing because he as a small max hunger but large hunger drain. This is why I said drain takes priority. He technically eats more than Wigfrid or most others do. Wigfrid and most others will eat 3 steaks daily, he'll eat four.  And then Wolfgang will come and eat even more-
My Wes is pretty normal, kind of Wigfrid's opposite. Tall instead of short, flimsy instead of strong, gives in instead of stubborn...  Ect ect.

I'm mostly just really particular about details and will ramble on about reasons for things forever... I like reasons and debate, but please don't take it as a denial to others to depict the characters as they please. There are all sorts of representations of the characters that even different from mine, I enjoy.  Feel free to present your own reasons, of course, should any wish, though, if they also like reasons as much as I do.

Aside of that, thanks for the compliment. I will make sure to let my sister know of the positive things people say.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I think my idea for her would be, like, eh, a honey-badger;

That's adorable, I can just imagine Wigfrid as a honeybadger while the other starvers stay out of her way.:wilson_ecstatic:

11 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I will make sure to let my sister know of the positive things people say.

I misunderstood your photos as you but she does a good job with the cosplay.:wilson_goodjob:

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I misunderstood your photos as you but she does a good job with the cosplay

Yeah, that's my sister.   She makes a great Walani though. Has the personality to match. XD
I have another sister that's gonna be Wendy, we're still waiting for the chance to get a fitting flower hairclip, but otherwise, the bulk of the costume is completed.  None of us are Blonde in any way, though she has the lightest hair of us all (This sister is light orange, not red like Wigfrid but not Blond like Wendy, so...  We went and got a wig, but it's not the end of the world.

Unfortunately, I do not make a great match for any of the characters, facial or hair-wise. I mean, my hair is like Woodie's wise of color, but otherwise, the wild and thick, frizzy nature of it is a near replica of Wigfrid. I even keep it in two braids all the time like she does, because that is the only way which it is manageable.   I guess I have a kinda square jaw, so any wider-faced character would be more fitting (Ex: Wendy, Walani, Wigfrid), but I am still far from any particular appearance.. . I guess Wigfrid is still my closest match, so that's why I'm doing her cosplay, but there are still people who match far better than I do. Oh well.  We can at least enjoy the success of our other cosplays. 

I wonder if my mother would be willing to be Wicker for a short time.

• Like 1

Going to add a little more now that some time has passed. 

Comics of my gameplay on servers, these are real people, and as a result, are usually out-of-character.

Spoiler

dstcomic_by_gallusvarius-dbruj0k.png

Here we have, my very very very first time on a public server, ever.  I already had quite a bit of experiance under my belt before I ever even barely approached public servers. 
The one I joined was a PVP one, which seemed interesting, at least. I was going along nomadically, minding my own business and no problems surviving, when I game to the world's main base, and this basically happened from there. 

I had actually practiced PVP battle privately with a friend before joining any servers, but this guy had a pan-flute and a fire-staff he got from boons, so I didn't really stand a chance, no matter my skill. He most just stayed away from me, put me to sleep and set me on fire. He made the mistake of engaging me in battle face-to-face for a moment, I did some good damage but he retreated pretty quickly from that and didn't get any closer from there.
Looking back, i should have 1. Made more helmets before engaging him and 2. When he caught me on fire, I should have still chased him down, since he would have also taken damage from the very flames he set on me.

The camp owner revived me.

(Copied description from DeviantArt)

"I was playing Don't Starve Together on a server for once and it was PVP.  I was playing nomadically and stopped by someone's camp for their machine.  Someone had been going about killing the other players, and when I entered the camp, immediately this is what happened. The owner of the camp was just like "WIGFRID THERE HE IS QUICK KILL HIM"
...And I was like "oh okay" 

The killer and the camp owner are both badly drawn WX-79's. I colored in the chestplate of the killer to help identify him from the owner. "

I would like to again find a PVP server one day and go nomadically on it. While you are sure to get jerks on it, I have some fellow friends who would be nomads with me, and what I've learned from private PVP has taught me... Players attack often enough that they can stunlock each other, like the way you stunlock a spider. Whoever hits first has the advantage. Don't try to kite, just rush in and start hitting - And if someone else gets the first hit on you, just try to run.    If you have multiple people, a gang, and ambush from all sides, that multiplies the stunlocking ability and also makes it impossible to escape, more or less dooming your target. 

I would sure love to be a crazy gang of nomads beating up whatever trolls or griefers or killers pop up. Nomads because, if you keep your camp inside your own inventory, then they can't burn it unless you drop your backpack.

dstcomic2_by_gallusvarius-dbruj0p.png

Here we have another nomadic adventure, this time with me and my webber-maining friend.  We wanted to use the camp of a very territorial Wolfgang, who later threw water balloons at us.    We had bush-hats, and plotted the revenge seen in the last panel, but deerclops did not choose to go after us, so we did not have that option. I drew in our plans, however, because two talking bushes among the chaos just seemed too beautiful.

Some traditional/pencil drawings I did, there are some examples of it with the scanner further down.
These will be in-character.

Spoiler

20180502_002038_by_gallusvarius-dcaer2m.
A traditional thing I did after some cave exploration, again inspired by my own experiences in gameplay.
This is a Depths worm, and also a badly drawn lantern.  And hey, I actually put her helmet on! I forgot I drew her with her helmet in this one.

20180502_001901_by_gallusvarius-dcaeqop.
A more recent Shadow wigfrid that I'm actually pretty proud of.  I made the spear jagged on one side, following the idea of how silly the DS people use spears... That having a sharp side and a 'glaive'-like nature might be an interesting theory to both kinds of spears in the game.   On the other hand, there is a spearjab animation mod. I wonder if it effects how quickly you attack though?... 

Edited by gallusvarius
Adding 'hide spoilers' to make it easier to read.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I love the composition of the glowworm piece. There's strong silhouettes and your anatomy is getting stronger.

The first comic has a interesting design for a stranger. You could make that your own character if you wanted. Like he could be from the shadows.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I love the composition of the glowworm piece. There's strong silhouettes and your anatomy is getting stronger.

The first comic has a interesting design for a stranger. You could make that your own character if you wanted. Like he could be from the shadows.

My anatomy is far better with animals than humans, since I've actually worked with animals for a long time but humans are a little more recent.
Any comics won't have impressive anatomy, I don't really try with them, since I generally have an agenda with comics not the same as what I would do when, say, illustrating what I actually think characters would react with... 

The stranger is a real person I encountered, both of them were. I forgot the name of the 'Killer,' but the white-chestpiece-camp-owner's username was Spaloo.

Basically, they're real people I encountered on public servers. 
If I were illustrating interactions between the actual characters themselves and not out-of-character interactions between the humans playing the characters, I might concern myself more with the appearances. 

Usually, you can find 'true attempts' in my traditional work, because I haven't done anything serious for DS in digital yet.  Which is kind of sad, because digital is my specialty. 
I will try to consider doing my best for an illustration for this game when I can. Most of what is depicted here is over a course of, I believe over a year, and is done as small, off-to-the-side things, at least as far as drawings go. The cooking and cosplays are more seriously-attempted.   Thank you for your observations, however.

• Like 1

Phew this took a while to read through (that's what I get for not checking the forums regularly ^^; )

I like all the drawings and all the comics. Seems you've really played your game to the fullest. Also your sister's cosplay resembles Walani well :)

I too and a Wigfrid main btw but I don't consider myself a lot like Wigfrid at all. But I still enjoy playing her cos of her perks ^_^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

I too and a Wigfrid main btw but I don't consider myself a lot like Wigfrid at all. But I still enjoy playing her cos of her perks ^_^

Ha, sounds like my relationship with Walani.   I like SW a lot, I find it very fun, and I primarily use Walani for it, and love Walani as a character... But our personalities are reverse, or to say, we're opposites or something in many ways. (Not in all ways. I like the ocean too, for example. But in form of temperament or assertiveness, or just how loud/talkative we might be...)  However, the people I get along with the best are alike to her. 

Yeah, I got into it when my brother introduced me to it while playing with some friends in DST, a very long time ago. I never had my own progress on the game for the longest time, I just played my father's account, with pre-unlocked characters.
So I may be one of those rare few who has nearly no history with Wilson. As a character and personality, I am much less familiar with Wilson and sort of rely almost on what I see others depict of him. The heavy amount of puns in his quotes always confused me, I wasn't sure if the puns were the voice of Wilson or the voice of the developers.   Webber, Wendy, Wigfrid, Wes, and sometimes WX all seem to play larger parts in what I draw as far as character interactions go.   (Me and my friend like to think Wigfrid and Webber have a sibling relationship of sorts. Big-sister-Little-Brother.)

The works of 'The-Letter-W', who I found on Deviantart, helped me understand Wilson a little better, as they developed the copious amounts of puns into a teasing, bad-joke kind of personality for Wilson, added as a flavor perhaps, to someone who might also be 'logical.' Or think he is anyway. It helped me develop my own interpretation of Wilson a little more, but mine may still be loose.
Some form of sarcasm has to be going on, at the least? He seems the sort to be mildly sarcastic, following along the nature of both puns/sense of humor, + being sucked into a nightmare world of evil things that want to torture you. 

As far as reading these forums go... I am similarly daunted by the sheer... Walls Of Art, of the same nature with which I have presented my own, but further than that, the Walls of Comments, and as someone new, it's hard to know where to start.
I'm guessing new topics and new people is probably where to start, since they're far less intimidating. 

• Like 2

Hello those who ever look at this - I am adding in some waffles me and my sister tried to make, again attempting to copy the food we see in-game. These did not come out as accurate as we had hoped... We may try again in the future. For now, that you may see what we have tried to do.

You can find them here in this spoiler.

Spoiler

20180504_135824_by_gallusvarius-dcaq3ui.
The yellow stuff is honey + Butter mixed together. We originally had circular waffles because our waffle-iron is a circle, so I cut them into quarters and tried to turn the 'corners' out to make them appear square. 
20180504_135919_by_gallusvarius-dcaq3sc.
I wish they were prettier waffles. Again, I may try at this recipe again in the future. For now, here's the in-game image of waffles for comparison. 

latest?cb=20121216162615
Yep, mine looks nothing like it.
I used really small strawberries for the three berries on top.

I should probably try to scan my traditional drawings instead of taking photos with my phone, I will see about doing that at some point. As I mentioned before, I am working on a more detailed illustration of a Depth worm, one of my favorite creatures in this game. Maybe I can do one for the Bunny-men too.  Or the Tiger shark.   Creatures would better be my strong suit than the characters, after all.

Edited by gallusvarius
'Hide spoiler' added to make it easier to read, also removed text asking how to make spoilers
  • Like 3

I found the 'spoiler' option. 

Before I go up and fix everything in the atmosphere above me, here are the drawings that I got with the scanner. You may find them much better now. At least the formal skins.

Wendy and Webber

Spoiler

scan20180505193536_by_gallusvarius-dcar0

Formal skins/Formal interaction for Webber, Wes and Wilson

Spoiler

scan20180505194616_by_gallusvarius-dcar0

Depth Worm Vs. Wigfrid

Spoiler

scan20180505195541_by_gallusvarius-dcar0

Okay, so I'm unsure this one even really improved, but still. Here you go.

Shadow Wigfrid:

Spoiler

scan20180505193900_by_gallusvarius-dcar0
I had too many failed attempts on her face... I'm not ultimately skilled with the pencil, now it is all dark with eraser marks.  Also her right arm is partially concealed by the cloth sash around the waist, that's why it seems awkward, it's just down by her side in a fist.

You can see a lot of little notes and bits around some of these.  Usually chore notes for Don't Starve, actually. Over the years I've known this game, of course I draw of it while I play it, so you often find doodles and game-notes in the same place. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Time to tag @Donke60 since he loves pics of Wes in his GOH outfit.

Interesting.

I drew, not Wes's entire forge skin but, with other forge outfits and his own forge facial, that I may post here eventually. Whether they like that as well or not is yet to be determined, I suppose. 

Meanwhile, also for today, here are some floating heads. 

scan20180505194026_by_gallusvarius-dcar0

Floating heads with added game notes and math notes from homeschool... 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, gallusvarius said:

Ha, sounds like my relationship with Walani.   I like SW a lot, I find it very fun, and I primarily use Walani for it,

To be fair, Walani is the easiest to use in SW. Heck even I use her sometimes (or atleast used to. I don't play SW so much anymore).

On 5/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, I got into it when my brother introduced me to it while playing with some friends in DST,

Heh, it was a friend from Aussie who got me into it. He first gifted me the two games and I played a bit but it didn't catch on for me at first. Then again the gameplay was pretty addicting and I ended up unlocking quite a few characters first.

Then after I saw more fanart and lore of the game, I got more hooked ^_^ (Maybe it's because I saw the characters personalities? Idk but lore of certain games has always fascinated me).

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

20180504_135919_by_gallusvarius-dcaq3sc.latest?cb=20121216162615

Hey that looks really good! I wish I could taste foods I see through the screen ^_^

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DragonMage156 said:

To be fair, Walani is the easiest to use in SW. Heck even I use her sometimes (or atleast used to. I don't play SW so much anymore).

On 5/4/2018 at 2:14 AM, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, I got into it when my brother introduced me to it while playing with some friends in DST,

Heh, it was a friend from Aussie who got me into it. He first gifted me the two games and I played a bit but it didn't catch on for me at first. Then again the gameplay was pretty addicting and I ended up unlocking quite a few characters first.

She is, but also challenging in her way, and entirely different from Wigfrid sometimes. Her stats are reversed for one thing, high sanity and hunger and a low health.  Her health is 7 points more than Wes.  She also drains on hunger just a little faster, also like Wes.

It didn't catch on with me at first either. I played it a little but not as much as I do now. Except for Shipwrecked. When the beta came out, my father got it and I was trying to play that immediately, made it to day 36 on my first try (And at the time, that was my personal record for any DS/DST/SW gameplay at all.). 

I did not get an account for my own progress of the game until rather recently. Before then, I unlocked Wes for my father because he hadn't already, so I sort of beat him to it when it came to throwing myself into Adventure mode. I deliberately avoided saving Maxwell though, figuring he wanted those honors.

I think what boosted my interest in the normal, non-SW game was playing DST with a close friend of mine, and that activity being something of bonding for us. Around a certain moment I randomly stumbled upon Klei's trailers on youtube which stunned me because I really didn't know that much about the lore, saw stuff about how to kite bosses (Had never seen guides for the game prior. Self-taught kiting, learned with SW's really-easy-to-kite snakes and on from there to self-taught werepig kiting... I had some weird idea in my head that bosses couldn't be kited though? Don't know where the idea came from.) and I thought it was pretty intense. Then, just as I was discovering all this lore and forming my own ideas in my head while I grinded Adventure mode for the rare chance of Wes, Forge came out and a large majority of my family followed me into it and joined me there. As of currently - I have a brother, a father, two sisters, and a close friend who play DST.  It's... In my family? Kind of hard to ignore the game at this point, it's suddenly become more active in my life. Causing a surplus in art.
As it became more active, I started thinking about the characters more, and agreeably, I really like them too. I usually don't get too attached to characters that aren't my own design, but playing so much inspired me to throw some of my own design into it.   I do think of character interactions sometimes. I should draw them more, people would probably like to see them.
I have, a sort of... Timeline, thought up, or my own interpretation. It doesn't include the actions of every character, and the SW characters are oddly lacking (Why would I lack in them if I play SW more?)... I am remembering though, when me and my other sister were drawing a whole lot of DS stuff, we'd prompt each other like the people on tumblr do and stuff.  Some of my sketches you make see up here eventually are from that. On example would be Wolfgang cuddling a chicken. We keep chickens, cuddly ones that sit on our laps, so it makes sense to us. 

I think of things like Warly being horrified when he comes back and someone's eaten his carefully-crafted dish. Man, do I know that feeling. 'I made this chiffon cake just five hours ago?? WHY IS IT HALF EATEN ALREADY??"
Me and my friends/family figured, with Wilson's sometimes pun-y nature, some might play their own sense of humor back onto him. 'Ukulele' being a 'Weapon of Annoyance' by Wigfrid's standards, we joked about her and 'Little brother' Webber playing it loudly while Wilson was trying to study or something, with Wes miming all sorts of odd, meaningless charades in some silent attempt to join Wigfrid in her sudden choice of shenanigans.

Aaaand there we go, I did it again, another block of text. Maybe I should throw spoilers in this too, just to condense all the words I say a little.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

made it to day 36 on my first try (And at the time, that was my personal record for any DS/DST/SW gameplay at all.). 

My DS alone record is 60 days iirc. Though I haven't played in a while ^^; DST is a bit different...

18 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I unlocked Wes for my father because he hadn't already, so I sort of beat him to it when it came to throwing myself into Adventure mode.

I've never been able to get far in adventure mode so I've never been able to unlock Wes or Maxwell ( ._.)

20 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

As of currently - I have a brother, a father, two sisters, and a close friend who play DST.  It's... In my family?

Lucky. I wish my mum would atleast understand DS is not a game you can simply walk away from every 5-10 minutes. Hence why I try to play more at night or at other specific times.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DragonMage156 said:

My DS alone record is 60 days iirc. Though I haven't played in a while ^^; DST is a bit different...

...Oh.  What keeps killing you, do you know?
My first serious try with normal DS was the usual Wilson, I failed miserably, and didn't wanna mess with it too much after that because there wasn't much for me in it at the time. Wasn't really connecting with Wilson I guess.
But after some failed attempts at DST survival with my friend, I became inspired to figure things out, since we weren't managing to go without camp... Usually going up in flames, somehow. Nearly each time. I had been doing some SW survival before this but it wasn't helping me with the main game.
So I went in again, the single-player game, with Wigfrid (A character I had history with but, had not developed on a whole lot for some reason, there is a long comment somewhere on these forums giving a detailed description of my start and what Wigfrid had to do with it), and nearly died to starvation but had a touchstone... Second chance, I didn't play around, ate monster meat and whatever else I could get my hands on and based quickly, and lived beyond day 100. That world still exists on my father's account, but I dropped it to play on my own account now and of course because I have more developed worlds.

I was always more naturally-in-tune with SW somehow, I guess. Maybe something about it made more sense? It looks like the environment where we live here. It's sub-tropical and near the ocean, and we have a relative of bamboo that grows here that looks more like the SW bamboo than real bamboo does. (This plant is shorter, unlike real bamboo which can grow much taller and preferes misty mountain peaks.) Maybe that's why I did better there.
These days though, SW is almost the harder one. Boats are horrifically dangerous as it becomes increasingly apparent to me as I play, and even worse, dry season. I had rarely ever made it to Dry in the past, and never lived past it prior to a few games...  Problem with Dry season, is it rains molten lava rocks on you and destroys base, unless you run away from base. It gives you about 3 tremors/screenshakes, a few minutes separate of each other, as a warning. You know the next eruption is closer with each tremor.   If ever I once count the tremors incorrectly (Miss one for whatever reason, or count it as 'tremor 2' when it was actually 'tremor 3,') then base is doomed.
In ROG summer, I can make an iceflingomatic and keep my base safe.   A lot of people just stay out of SW in the dry season, use the Seaworthy to travel to the ROG world, but at least for games started in SW, I wanna stay in SW and see how far I get. ...Before dry season inevitably destroys everything I love because I counted these screenshakes wrong.
Some make a base outside of their main base. I don't like the idea of it, but it may be what I gotta do if I really want a permanent solution.  I just hate having two separate bases. I like to stay in one spot. I move resources I like (Spiders, pigs, trees, bees, whatever else) near me, and then base next to the things that I can't move. (Usually rabbit holes. Rabbit holes rabbit holes rabbit holes. To make lots of small jerky.  And sometimes ponds too.)
If you like Wigfrid, here are some tips to surviving with her. 1 Koalaphants will be a serious early food source, if you can learn to fight them. five hits and then run, if you want to kite them.   2. Killing spiders will provide you with ample healing and sanity if you're in trouble. You can even live off of monster meat like webber and thrive, because the sanity and health gained restores what is lost, provided you are the one killing them. And 3. I suggest making base around a lot of rabbits, then trapping them, and making a lot of drying racks, and drying the meat. Jerky provides a fair sanity and health gain, and dogmatically killed rabbits and drying the meat will give you a lot, that will fill any holes in your needs (Health, hunger, sanity) when other endeavors do not provide. 
I still mass-produce jerky from rabbits and take stacks of it with me into ruins or on other perilous journeys, because it lasts long and does good for all stats. 
I use stale jerky in my cooking, or give it to the pig king for much-needed gold as Wigfrid. Stale jerky can also be turned into eggs and then, 1 stale jerky + 1 monster meat + 2 eggs = Guaranteed bacon and eggs... 
Never underestimate the power of jerky.

20 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

I've never been able to get far in adventure mode so I've never been able to unlock Wes or Maxwell ( ._.)

Sometimes finding the portal to adventure can be an issue. I found it once long ago on a solo-world and it kinda sealed my fate for saving Wes. Back in those days, I think Wigfrid was the only one I knew how to use  for normal DS, but she taught me a lot about fighting and how to fight different things, because she kind of forces you to fight more. 
To save Maxwell in my current game, I spent a long time searching a world for the portal, didn't find it until I had explored the whole rest of the map by day 13. It was very annoying.   The portal can be pesky. But if you ever find it, consider it good luck I suppose. Adventure mode is harder than the normal game, and even stunned me at first.  I learned more how to survive without a camp at all and to live nomadically there. These days, sometimes I go on public servers and live as I learned to back in Adventure mode - With my camp 'All in my inventory.' I just use other people's science machines and then I'm good. I've lived a whole year like that on a server once... Which mean't I played longer in one sitting than I should have, but it was worth it. I had a friend there. 
I suggest getting the basics of sandbox survival covered before attempting adventure mode, but it's up to you.

26 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Lucky. I wish my mum would atleast understand DS is not a game you can simply walk away from every 5-10 minutes. Hence why I try to play more at night or at other specific times

Our mother is the only person in the family who doesn't play this game. 
True, DST isn't that kind of game. Normal DS kinda is, I pause pretty rapidly, on-and-off sometimes, myself. In normal DS, try to pause whenever you scratch your back or think or do ANYTHING other than direct playing, because time is valuable, and it lets you save that time. 
...I bet you 1/3rd of the registered hours on DS that steam has for me, is probably 1/3 spent with the game paused, thinking or drinking or finding a snack. 
Sometimes the game would make me hungry, which is really, really ironic. Especially because blue eggs served with bacon, which I hate, shouldn't look delicious to me but it did.
Seafood Gumbo in SW looks tasty to me as well. But I hate gumbo. This game is causing me to want things I hate. Help. 
(I am a very picky eater, and sometimes my parents get frustrated and won't put up with it, like, won't bend to the pickiness, telling me I should find my own food, which I think is fair. But I understand Wigfrid who would rather starve that eat that ratatouille. I tend to feel and behave the same way, though at least my diet isn't 'only meat.' It's more like, basic food. I like veggies and fruits and meats and a lot of things, but I don't like very many combined or mixed foods. I like apples but not apple pie. I like beef and onions and whatnot but please do not put them in that stew... I guess you could say, I prefer to eat the ingredients, but it's not always the case. I like, uh, omelets? That's a combined food. But I'm weirdly picky about a lot of very, very specific things.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

She is, but also challenging in her way, and entirely different from Wigfrid sometimes. Her stats are reversed for one thing, high sanity and hunger and a low health.  Her health is 7 points more than Wes.  She also drains on hunger just a little faster, also like Wes.

It didn't catch on with me at first either. I played it a little but not as much as I do now. Except for Shipwrecked. When the beta came out, my father got it and I was trying to play that immediately, made it to day 36 on my first try (And at the time, that was my personal record for any DS/DST/SW gameplay at all.). 

I did not get an account for my own progress of the game until rather recently. Before then, I unlocked Wes for my father because he hadn't already, so I sort of beat him to it when it came to throwing myself into Adventure mode. I deliberately avoided saving Maxwell though, figuring he wanted those honors.

I would disagree Her and Wes even at a hunger level aren't that similar i find low health really fun. adds much needed tension though i can understand your struggle if you have played mostly wig, i myself mostly played Wes to even teach myself the game. and now i play Wes and Warly.

they are my two husbandos don't tell my gf she'll get jealous. :p

These days though, SW is almost the harder one. Boats are horrifically dangerous as it becomes increasingly apparent to me as I play, and even worse, dry season. I had rarely ever made it to Dry in the past, and never lived past it prior to a few games...  Problem with Dry season, is it rains molten lava rocks on you and destroys base, unless you run away from base. It gives you about 3 tremors/screenshakes, a few minutes separate of each other, as a warning. You know the next eruption is closer with each tremor.   If ever I once count the tremors incorrectly (Miss one for whatever reason, or count it as 'tremor 2' when it was actually 'tremor 3,') then base is doomed.
In ROG summer, I can make an iceflingomatic and keep my base safe.   A lot of people just stay out of SW in the dry season, use the Seaworthy to travel to the ROG world, but at least for games started in SW, I wanna stay in SW and see how far I get. ...Before dry season inevitably destroys everything I love because I counted these screenshakes wrong.

travaling and the start of SW can be a lot harder but if you take the collect everything main base style nothing can really force you out for long. periods of time. Though i can understand it is very different especially to the community when it first launched so a lot of "veterans": found the game hard and died really early and easily most accounts are from poison

out and a large majority of my family followed me into it and joined me there. As of currently - I have a brother, a father, two sisters, and a close friend who play DST.  It's... In my family? Kind of hard to ignore the game at this point, it's suddenly become more active in my life. Causing a surplus in art.

weapon of Annoyance' by Wigfrid's standards, we joked about her and 'Little brother' Webber playing it loudly while Wilson was trying to study or something, with Wes miming all sorts of odd, meaningless charades in some silent attempt to join Wigfrid in her sudden choice of shenanigans.

he needs a triangle or a therman

I had been doing some SW survival before this but it wasn't helping me with the main game.

mhm

I am a very picky eater, and sometimes my parents get frustrated and won't put up with it, like, won't bend to the pickiness, telling me I should find my own food, which I think is fair.

play Warly

15 hours ago, minespatch said:

Time to tag @Donke60 since he loves pics of Wes in his GOH outfit.

thakns

mmm OP if you have a discord i suggest you join the discord group in my sig

its the biggest one your'll fine it also has a pretty popular art room

Also halfway through writing that I got distracted by memes and forgot about it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Donke60 said:

I would disagree Her and Wes even at a hunger level aren't that similar i find low health really fun.

Of course the two are different from each other, I never mean't to imply they were identical.
The hunger drain is no where near the same, since I believe Walani's drain is dependent - I could be wrong, but she has to be surfing/on the water? Again, I could be wrong.
Their sanity is very different. She has 200 sanity and gains sanity for waves surfed, in contrast to Wes who has 150 sanity and looses it for balloons blown. 
She also has a larger max hunger, near twice as much max hunger as he, so without a doubt that makes things different too.

But she's more like Wes than Wigfrid is. 

Low health is interesting at the least.  I'd say the game is fun either way you go, and the difference is nice. Challenge comes in a new category with it. 

i can understand your struggle if you have played mostly wig

I don't really have a struggle with her, or with Wes.  Only that I find anything battle-intensive much easier with Wigfrid, but that should be obvious. Her ability to 'live off of battle' can make things really easy sometimes, when it comes to raw survival, like Adventure mode, where spiders and monsters you can eat are prevalent.
But I find that I can usually do things with Wes all the same, he's just less forgiving of mistakes, but at least I can eat berries early on instead of starving because I didn't bump into any living things for long enough.
One time on DST, I had to hunt tentacles from a swamp for meat, because I had failed to locate anything else. No spiders, no merms, no koalas, no pigs... It was terrible. It only happened once though.

play Warly

I did once, he's pretty fun. I have a screenshot where I gathered all the food I made on a single moment or run in 15 days to see how much and how much variety I could possibly achieve with him. I just haven't started any long-term games with him. I really only have two long-term games, one for 'Only SW' with Walani and one for ROG and all that with Wigfrid, and anything else isn't long-term-survival oriented. Both of them around around 400 days. (I had other long-term games in the past but abandoned them when I got my own account. They're still there on my father's account. I don't think I've had the misfortune of loosing a long-term game yet, aside of failed attempts on SW ended by the cruel and unforgiving volcanic dry season.)

And since I actually cook food, I do also feel 'similar' to him. Not sure his gameplay is one I'd like for long-term survival (I might get annoyed with it after a while.) but for a short-term challenge, or a world that I delete after attaining a certain goal I set for myself, (Rushes and stuff), he is definitely interesting.

I had thought a little on his past.  I think he mentioned something about not liking pirates, and about a grandmother who taught him to cook? Perhaps he was taken captive by pirates around somewhere when he was young, and after finding he was a good cook they set him to cook for them? That prior, his grandmother had taught him all these excellent recipes and was a 'master chef' herself, and that he practiced his cooking further still because it reminded him of her and his family?   Of course, then assuming as he got older he got away from the job as a cabin boy for pirates, but, this is all just me theorizing. Theories and nothing more than such. 

travaling and the start of SW can be a lot harder but if you take the collect everything main base style nothing can really force you out for long. periods of time. Though i can understand it is very different especially to the community when it first launched so a lot of "veterans": found the game hard and died really early and easily most accounts are from poison

Oh no, I found the start easier, SW was the first thing I ever tried. 
I mean, yeah, poison existed back then, but I started off with Webber, so I could run from that which I knew was venomous and let my spiders deal with it.
It's all in the dry season for me. And sometimes the ocean, but not as much. It can be harder to flee in the ocean sometimes.
That said, I have quite some experiance with Webber, too, not just Wigfrid, Walani and Wes. 
Any character I've played, I've probably played enough to say I know what I'm doing with them well enough to stay alive.  For most of them. All the others, I've never even tried. 
- Never touched Wicker, Wolfgang, WX, Winona, Woodlegs, Maxwell...   On my own account, I wanted to get the other characters, so as Wilson I unlocked Webber and then lived to around Day 100 to make sure I got the most of them, but he's not that different or hard anyway, just kind of a vanilla character with a beard I should make note of. I never actually used any meat effigies or touch stones, and it ended up, when I deliberately committed suicide in the end, that all the touch stones became an issue and I had to take the trouble to find different ways to kill myself. 
Runs with Wilbur have been very successful before too.

mmm OP if you have a discord i suggest you join the discord group in my sig

You are suggesting I join a discord group?... It's for Don't Starve? Is it related to these forums specifically or is it just, a collection of people? Sorry, a little bit confused. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

Yup, it's for Don't Starve.

I went over to it. I guess we'll see how it works out, then. 

For the meantime, before I go and answer a bunch of stuff I mounted up for myself, 
here is Wolfgang cuddling a chicken.
(Shh it's relevant to us because we keep chickens as pets and cuddle them)

20180502_002114_by_gallusvarius-dcaer1s.

You can see Wigfrid and Wes below it, I'll get a picture focused on that in a moment. I took these pictures a while ago, before I got the scanner set up. If people complain about quality, I might get the scanner out for it. 

The chicken has sanity in this little scene. And it's apparently draining because Wolfgang smells bad. 

And here's a full-view of the thing with Wigfrid and Wes. 

20180502_002104_by_gallusvarius-dcaer25.

It would appear she is drawing out a battle-plan in the dirt. Not as proud of these, but I didn't come here to hold back what I've got. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

...Oh.  What keeps killing you, do you know?

No. It's usually a mixture of stuff. I guess it's usually being either unprepared or too impulsive with/because of low stats.

Boats are horrifically dangerous as it becomes increasingly apparent to me as I play, and even worse, dry season.

Never made it to dry season myself. Hurricane season always gets me (and it's not even usually the weather or flooding either). I knew it was probably like summer but I didn't expect the volcano to be largely involved 0_0

I suggest getting the basics of sandbox survival covered before attempting adventure mode, but it's up to you.

I know a lot about sandbox and probably don't need everything in these adventure chapters but I usually get A Cold Reception or King of Winter. I think I've gotten Archipelago at one point as well. The furthest I ever got was in The Game is Afoot (one piece left. Tribal pigs killed me).

Eventually I gave up. Though I've been meaning to watch some guides for a while now ^^;

5 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Runs with Wilbur have been very successful before too.

Never unlocked Wilbur or Woodlegs either (then again the latter is quite hard since it involves quacken).

Whether I fight or befriend monkeys, I always run into one of two problems. Either I'll get the crown and die before I find Wilbur or find Wilbur and never get the crown (or never find either).

I think I can definitely say I don't get the best of luck in this game ^^;

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

here is Wolfgang cuddling a chicken.
(Shh it's relevant to us because we keep chickens as pets and cuddle them)

I used to do that in California. I'd chase a chicken and then cuddle them. Feeding them tiny apple pieces. Chickens can sometimes act like kitties.:wilson_smile:

Wolfgang's a sweetheart. He's a gardener, so being a farmer wouldn't be too far off.

True, DST isn't that kind of game. Normal DS kinda is, I pause pretty rapidly, on-and-off sometimes, myself. In normal DS, try to pause whenever you scratch your back or think or do ANYTHING other than direct playing, because time is valuable, and it lets you save that time. 

#relatable

The lady who's staying with us temporarily forces me off so I have to pay attention to her has killed me in DSt time and time again.57a54933963ed_arielsweats.png.7e7d7f360bc047ce1e14cd4d6acd52e6.png

• Thanks 1