I can understand why you'd like to have a fuse or breaker, but it wouldn't work with the way ONI implements power.

In reality, power flows from the positive side to the negative side of a circuit, two polarities, and the breaker typically is wired in series with the positive side, and breaks open when the overload limit is reached. In ONI, all the wiring is one wire, no polarities. You can mesh every single tile into a massive "grid" of wires, with multiple power sources and drains placed anywhere. There would be no logical place to put a breaker.

The current implementation of power is simple and easy for anyone to use. Overloaded circuits is ALWAYS the result of poor planning, which is the key to success in ONI.

Duke is right, all we need is a wattage sensor that can go on an existing line and we can make a breaker.

I could also see potential for a more primitive (available in the first or second tech tree tier) object called a Fuse which acts like a valve and simply breaks when its wattage is exceeded and then must be repaired with a small (few grams?) of metal, thus saving metal compared to overloaded wire repairs and time as you can place it such that it's more convenient to repair (in the base right next to a stockpile of metal).

I personaly woudn't mind a smaller transformer or something similar role of akig ure circuit don't overload like a fusebox, because as it is, 3*2 square is kind of lot of place for what it does realy. Would make more advanced elecric ciruits with heavy watt wire easier to build and more worth it.

Archived