Ore refinery does not work by unknown reason.

As you can see, refinery connected to my power greed try conductive wires and transformer. The system used 0 power at the moment, but even possible max below 2000wats. Dups run to it, switch it on, it starts, make a sound for 1 second and then stopping, showing no power. Batteries are full.

C4784F1CD5FB9D973B296CB5745695BBD721A9F1

548021E7609C2585FFF1DE4BA9FC18CE7B5D9DDD

63397D7828BEAD1BF7F7141DBD0BBC731A441189

Add a battery between the refinery and the transformer. Transformers have the weird feature that they can transfer up to 5kW(?) but cannot support a single device that asks for more than 1kW at a time.

5 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

I've found that using two Transformers in tandem into a spliced set seems to cure the problem for me most times I need to break the 1 kw limit on wires.  Two 1kw transformers into a 2kw pull for the conductive wires.

Each tick of the game engine (5 times per second), a Transformer can supply it's full 1 kW to the connected circuit.  So a single Transformer can support up to 5 kW of devices.  The second Transformer is simply taking up space and resources while producing heat.

Just now, PhailRaptor said:

Each tick of the game engine (5 times per second), a Transformer can supply it's full 1 kW to the connected circuit.  So a single Transformer can support up to 5 kW of devices.  The second Transformer is simply taking up space and resources while producing heat.

Narf?!  To the testing Rig, Hatchman!   We have confusion to relocate!

... Ahem, thanks.  Didn't know that.  But I do want go beat on it some, because I (at some point) needed to do this and want to go figure out what I did wrong.  That save's long dead, but can't hurt to poke at it.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, llunak said:

Add a battery between the refinery and the transformer. Transformers have the weird feature that they can transfer up to 5kW(?) but cannot support a single device that asks for more than 1kW at a time.

Ahhhh, thats what does it...

I just have the super heavy stuff plugged in to the power plants with conductive heavywatt wire.

I've always just had wire hooked up to the output sides of two transformers and never had a problem, no batteries involved.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:32 PM, PhailRaptor said:

Not exactly sure where you're getting this from but I believe it to be misinformation.

Nope that's right.

A transformer can supply 1 KW at a time 

The transformer itself can supply that 1 KW up to 5 times per second, so the total load on the transformer can be up to 5 KW, but no more

than 1 KW at a time to a single machine.

So any machine that needs more than 1 KW by itself (i.e. Aquatuner or Refinery, etc) will have issues.  However, if you put a battery after the transformer, then the machine draws from the battery and the transformer fills the battery back up, which gets you past the 1 KW limit.

Finally got around to getting back to this.  Okay, so, sitting a battery on the far end of the wire lets it push past the transformer problem.  Interesting.  However, from a heat perspective, doesn't a small battery sit on 6.5W of heat permanently, while a second transformer would be on 5W of heat?  So, for smaller space you get a bit more heat? 

Not sure if it really matters, though, thanks for the tip.  At least it gives me options.

4 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Finally got around to getting back to this.  Okay, so, sitting a battery on the far end of the wire lets it push past the transformer problem.  Interesting.  However, from a heat perspective, doesn't a small battery sit on 6.5W of heat permanently, while a second transformer would be on 5W of heat?  So, for smaller space you get a bit more heat? 

Not sure if it really matters, though, thanks for the tip.  At least it gives me options.

Yes, but why are you using any Battery other than a Smart Battery?  Only 2.5 W of heat, capacity is half way between Tiny and normal Batteries, and more importantly, has a much lower bleed-off over time.

6 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

use a smart battery +2.5W heat and connect an automation wire to the transformer so it will shutdown when charged saving on heat

5 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

Yes, but why are you using any Battery other than a Smart Battery?  Only 2.5 W of heat, capacity is half way between Tiny and normal Batteries, and more importantly, has a much lower bleed-off over time.

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

use a smart battery +2.5W heat and connect an automation wire to the transformer so it will shutdown when charged saving on heat

Heh, you two were racing for that result... XD  Mostly because I'm stingy with my refined metals, so I tend to use the cheaper stuff, as I can tear it down and replace it when it need to. 

I'm curious though why you would bother with the automation on the battery here, @Neotuck.  If it has a charge, it gets 2.5W of heat, so that's a moot point, as if it's empty, it'll be empty like any other battery and be 0 kW of heat with no juice.  Unless you're recommending that it has no heat when it's under 1kW of usage on the main line, as it puts itself up to full charge (20 kJ) and then has no heat while it's offline because it's maxxed out and not needed?  That doesn't really make sense to me, though, either it's charged or it's not.  Am I missing something obvious?

Just now, WanderingKid said:

Heh, you two were racing for that result... XD  Mostly because I'm stingy with my refined metals, so I tend to use the cheaper stuff, as I can tear it down and replace it when it need to. 

I'm curious though why you would bother with the automation on the battery here, @Neotuck.  If it has a charge, it gets 2.5W of heat, so that's a moot point, as if it's empty, it'll be empty like any other battery and be 0 kW of heat with no juice.  Unless you're recommending that it has no heat when it's under 1kW of usage on the main line, as it puts itself up to full charge (20 kJ) and then has no heat while it's offline because it's maxxed out and not needed?  That doesn't really make sense to me, though, either it's charged or it's not.  Am I missing something obvious?

the transformer turns off and generates no heat.  It will only be on half the time to charge the smart battery so think of it generating 2.5 W of heat average instead of 5 W heat total

1 minute ago, WanderingKid said:

He's suggesting you use the Smart Battery to actually deactivate the Transformer, since the Transformer will be producing heat as well while it's functioning.  When the Battery is full, turn off the Transformer.  When the Battery gets low (say 10%?  should vary based on your possible power output I'd think) the Battery will turn the Transformer back on.

Just now, Neotuck said:

the transformer turns off and generates no heat.  It will only be on half the time to charge the smart battery so think of it generating 2.5 W of heat average instead of 5 W heat total

I'll have to check this out.  I'd (obviously incorrectly) assumed that the transformer would be the primary and the battery secondary, so you'd be constantly getting 1kW from the transformer and the rest off the battery.  Thanks!

Just now, WanderingKid said:

I'll have to check this out.  I'd (obviously incorrectly) assumed that the transformer would be the primary and the battery secondary, so you'd be constantly getting 1kW from the transformer and the rest off the battery.  Thanks!

I'm able to maintain 2kW circuits this way ;) 

Archived