New Splumonkey Farm for non-Wicker players (expensive!)

Edgy Rick recently did a great video on splumonkey farms for Wicker mains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-N6qDISXkw

But I wanted to find an alternative that could be used in solo DST even if one is not playing as Wickerbottom. The method I came up with involves fences placed in a square, with one fence gate, and inside of this box the player stands. The box should be at least 12 x 12 fences, and inside of it, Houndius Shootiuses are placed. The box should be built away from mobs that can destroy it. Since shadow splumonkeys will not attack fences, if they are the only mob at the farm it will be OK. The more Houndii you use, the faster the monkeys die.

To start the farm up, it is quite simple; run out to splumonkey pods in the nightmare phase and get shadow splumonkeys to follow you, then run back to the fence square, go inside of it and shut the gate. Then let the Houndius Shootius do the rest.

Pros vs Edgy Rick's guide:

- can be created without being a Wickerbottom

- gathering drops is far less dangerous since Houndius Shootius will not attack the player unless provoked

- no need to waste uses of lazy forager / explorer to escape the trap and gather drops

- the only danger from enemies in the farm is from the splumonkies/shadow creatures following you (or other creatures you attracted)

Cons:

- can be considered very expensive depending on your playstyle (Houndius Shootius need the (Ancient Guardian & Ancient Fuelweaver) + Deerclops to be beaten once per turret unless the Deerclops drops are obtained from a Loot Stash)

- kills shadow splumonkies much slower since the turrets use single-target attacks

- the walls are much more vulnerable to damage from other mobs, but they are also cheaper (perhaps using end tables as walls would prevent this? i didn't test)

- more dangerous when entering farm since gate must be closed behind you

I have a short video showing how this works (the file is uploaded along with the post)

Note that the footage has been sped up by 8x (original length was ~1 minute to kill ~40 shadow splumonkies with 5 Houndius Shootius) and the farm was set up with godmode in an empty world.

Just thought I would share this since I found very few splumonkey farms in my research. Happy killing guys! 

SpluFarm.mp4

Well is not actually new the concept of using Houndius Shootius for "farming" any kind of mob that can aggro on oneself while somehow protecting the Houndinus(es) and getting yourself out of immediate danger. Thus good to go vs Monkeys too if that's one's objective.

Will bunnymen go after shadow splumonkeys? How about rock lobsters? There's also good old tooth traps. If you have a tooth trap farm up by hound mounds or a walrus camp, you can make a huge field and lead them through it. The bastards have 5hp more than 2 tooth traps, but if you have like 50 traps, vs. 15 splumonkeys, you can get the lot of them. Even if the traps aren't enough, you could er... retreat to the safety of your fenced-in area, and just await the end of the nightmare cycle, even if you have no Houndius Shootius.

...can you fence off all the splumonkey pods?

I've frankly died much more to splumonkeys than shadow splumonkeys. Lantern stealing *******s...

Oh, there's also this strategy where you use Antlion's helpful fun boulders to get all the monkeys stuck right next to something flammable and a dwarf star. Because ash is way more valuable than cave bananas! Anyone with some slurtle slime, a star caller's staff, a lazy explorer and a pissed off Antlion could pull that one off.

well, rather than using shootius, what about reanimated skeleton?
if you kill FW and have shadow thurible, you can reanimate stalker.

cause character has thurible, stalker do not attack character but not monkeys.

3 hours ago, Altari said:

One could use that in combination with Bush Hat or Snurtle Shell Armor when apex nightmare phase hits; theoretically Shadow Monkeys should aggro on Reanimated Skeleton sitting beside you (while you yourself are hiding in mentioned items). This will be a pretty funny strat too, not to mention the possibility of easy relocation as opposed to Houndius Shootius.

18 hours ago, Altari said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOJ-lXnXCY

It's a pretty boss strategy, I have to say. Almost as boss as using the poor guy to chop trees for you.

Bunnymen do attack shadow splumonkeys, and shadow splumonkeys do not attack fences.

I think you're all overthinking this a tad bit, fence the huts in and put down a hutch or two. Way cheaper than using a houndius shootius, or doing whatever the hell Erick is doing there, what with all the walls, end tables, and tentacles. 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:21 AM, Firnen said:

Erick recently did a great video on splumonkey farms

Uh huh.

Archived