The game is now terrible

Just now, Saturnus said:

I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Is he the one responsible for the asinine and inane ninja updates?

Spoiler

c2eebaca68f21dc22dcd0962f1856082.png

fb95c43476a39a6435aa0178da558526.png

Those were some hostile words you used there.

Spoiler

Not to mention redundant, because asinine and inane are interchangeable, but that's besides the point. :wilson_dorky:

3 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Calling something extremely stupid is pretty hostile, but I'm not here to argue semantics.

Note. I did not in fact call anyone anything. I called the ninja changes that Klei keeps making that. Because they are.

As the issue in question is to reign in the Off Topic nature of the flow of conversation there is no single offensive post, however, summoning a mod or admin generally has the effect of ending all negativity and resuming natural discourse.  If we could do as much without them it would likely have already occurred, since it has not, this then becomes the inevitable result.

It's slightly hilarious how the devs keep breaking new stuff that doesn't seem at all related to the update they release. Just look at the mouseover tooltip vanishing with the first version of the latest release. Or the invisible dupe problems. Or ... *names half a dozen other crazy bugs*

What would be nice is if the devs had a bit more transparency.. like dev logs or whatever, that explain how issues like these appear and what they're doing to try to prevent that in the future.

10 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

It's slightly hilarious how the devs keep breaking new stuff that doesn't seem at all related to the update they release. Just look at the mouseover tooltip vanishing with the first version of the latest release. Or the invisible dupe problems. Or ... *names half a dozen other crazy bugs*

What would be nice is if the devs had a bit more transparency.. like dev logs or whatever, that explain how issues like these appear and what they're doing to try to prevent that in the future.

You are, quite literally, demanding of the Oni Devs to be omniscient. Changing code doesnt mean that the effects of that change are isolated to the bit of code you change, not to mention that there is more than one individual working on the programm, and since Klei are not a Hive-Mind, people are going to break each others work.

And people need to remember that you are playing on a preview branch of a pre-release game and demanding the quality and QA of a post release, while WE are supposed to do the QA, in turn for getting early access to the preview branch.

14 minutes ago, Cataca said:

You are, quite literally, demanding of the Oni Devs to be omniscient. Changing code doesnt mean that the effects of that change are isolated to the bit of code you change, not to mention that there is more than one individual working on the programm, and since Klei are not a Hive-Mind, people are going to break each others work.

Let me put it this way. As someone who was once going to college for a degree in programming, I am exceedingly curious what mashup of code resulted in some of those weird bugs. Especially the vanishing tooltip..

18 hours ago, w3amd said:

Invisible dupes, dupes that starve for no reason, performance issues, priority issues and the list goes on.

ONI runs 73 threads and no performance out of them.

Finally, the bug list keeps expanding and devs aren't on top of it.

You do realize this is a Preview within an Alpha state of the game, right?  As in, its not going to be perfect.  First, you're going to have performance issues because there's extra code in there for debugging.  Why is the debugging code in there? To help track the bugs added with the new code.  Which, IDK, might involve dupes disappearing.  But, hey..  What do I know.

Oh, and on the bug list, the dupes starving for no reason?  That was because the player told them they couldn't eat the food that was available.

11 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

...I am exceedingly curious what mashup of code resulted in some of those weird bugs. Especially the vanishing tooltip..

How is that curious? They obviously work on the UI and some of the changes had unitended side-effects that were not obvious or constantly present. This isnt a case of a "weird mashup", the new systems are, quite obviously, integrated into the UI.

But i digress, you are obviously the expert.

3 minutes ago, Cataca said:

How is that curious? They obviously work on the UI and some of the changes had unitended side-effects that were not obvious or constantly present. This isnt a case of a "weird mashup", the new systems are, quite obviously, integrated into the UI.

But i digress, you are obviously the expert.

I don't think they were being rude, I think they were genuinely pondering what would've had to have "mashed up" for that to happen.

at first glance they are switching from "generalized" language to a hierarchy structure, and anything from the shift in style to a change in the way graphics are parsed could account for the issues we have been experiencing.  Personally I noticed it seem to grow from the tooltip problem outward but I may be making a logical error :p

I've always found that sometimes small changes can have completely unrelated and unexpected results.  I wrote the code for a robot project and changed the data type for the timer to have more precision.  It had the unrelated side effect of the robot missing the final stopping point. Everything else worked perfectly, and the check for final stop didn't use the timer at all anyway.  It eventually turned out that the hardware itself didn't support the larger data type for the timer.  At about 6 seconds from the finish, the timer would start to over-write the variable holding the stop check requirements.

I'm not saying that is what's happening here.  I'm just using my past experience as an example.  Any time you change code, unrelated items can be affected even if they were previously functioning perfectly.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

As I jokingly said in a stream yesterday. ONI has devolved into a deca-pico-management game. That's micromanagement taken to the 10^-11th power. I feared that it would turn into simfarm style game at some point, and as I see it, it has unfortunately.

100% agree, the micromanagement is really starting to hamper my fun. I imagine some new players may feel the same (not to mention overwhelmed), it's fortunate these are previews and that the sandbox mode is available. I came here for the goofy physics.

I've been overwhelmed since automation came along, I have absolutely no understanding of how it works, the only thing I can do is copy designs I've seen. Much like with math to me, I need to know WHY something equals something, not just that it does, the formula, for me to understand. (WOW RUN ON SENTENCE!)

That said, if I had to guess, ONI is the most advanced game Klei has ever undertaken and it is cool that the model allows for community influence, while at the same time, the community is the QA before a big release. That's the trade off. I participated in starbound pre-release, by the time the game had been finished, so much had changed that it was too difficult to relearn how to play for me.

Honestly, there are some rocket scientist/brain surgeons taming this game to their will, they post data gleamed from assemblies, they push the game to the limits and break them, they make spread sheets and diagrams, unintentionally and intentionally, those people make the game better. (Such as yourself). Also, not without saying, some have an excellent grasp from playing such a long time.

For myself, I can't imagine ever mastering or even becoming average with as complex as this game is and is evolving to be, generally speaking, I can't stand survival games, but as mentioned, I came to ONI for the physics aspect. (Realistic or not.)

2 hours ago, Ambaire said:

What would be nice is if the devs had a bit more transparency..

Well, they did this, and people strangly complained that their dupes were invisible ! Players don't know what they want, obviously : give them transparency and you'll make them angry.

(Ok, it's a bad joke, but i wasn't able to resist)

3 minutes ago, eggsvbacon said:

100% agree, the micromanagement is really starting to hamper my fun. I imagine some new players may feel the same (not to mention overwhelmed), it's fortunate these are previews and that the sandbox mode is available. I came here for the goofy physics.

I agree that there is a lot to understand and a lot to micromanage. For example, i don't understand a lot about jobs.

A part of it is solvable with some kind of tutorial, and another with good enough options. Like, for example, the egg/critter management. It should be possible to solve a lot of problem this way.

Archived