Ranching Upgrade Mark II Preview Is Here! - 264752

5 Seconds after loading my save file from my base the game crash inside a black hole. I hate those patches destroy everything build up in many many hours and often having no chance getting the old save files back when the patch goes live.

1 minute ago, Transwarp said:

5 Seconds after loading my save file from my base the game crash inside a black hole. I hate those patches destroy everything build up in many many hours and often having no chance getting the old save files back when the patch goes live.

That's your own fault, own up to it. It is CLEARLY stated this a preview version. It will contain bugs. It also clearly stated that you can't revert the save file after loading it with the update preview. If you had made a separate save file before installing it, you would not have been in this position.

15 hours ago, Ecu said:

One of the issues I see currently with the existing system is a mechanism to allow for automated harvesting of meat.  I'm not quite sure how this would play out in practice. 

Perhaps a station that harvests creatures over a set amount within a ranching room, perhaps an alternative drop-off location that is used to harvest, or even just allowing one to specify a creature type in cooking recipes which are automatically harvested for their meat.

Regardless of the mechanism, it would be really useful to be able to have this process made automatable now that we have so many sources of meat.

I've got to be honest with you, the cuter the try to make the critters the more I suspect they're going to remove meat as a source of food.  The in-game tooltip for the Attack order already tries to guilt you by saying "Drag to attack poor wild creatures."

• Haha 1

Since this update is around ranching and we have a series of shine nymphs that all require phosphorite, I think we need a renewable source of it.  This is especially true if the drecko are actually supposed to eat peppers of the peppernut plant (right now they essentially eat nothing).

25 minutes ago, TG pro said:

Does someone else realised that the new sandbox mode is just an improved version of the debug mode? :p

As said on the stream, the debug mode was never intended to be used by players. It is a development mode that does not aim at being bug free or user friendly.

The new sandbox mode is supposed to fill exactly this gap. A mode, supported by klei, which provides all the features that people need to play around with the various ONI systems.

Or - as one of the devs put it: photoshop for ONI.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2018 at 10:47 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Hello friends!

It's the start of the third trimester for Ranching Upgrade Mark II. Through extensive breeding, Duplicants have begun observing strange eggs... could this be a new species variation? Or a whole new creature? In addition, they've just finally noticed how cute those freshly-hatched critters are!

Meanwhile, some industrious plumber Duplicant has been busy in the lab to bring us new pipes and sensors, and it's a good thing too, because there's more ports to plug those sensors into.

All this new automation has given the Duplicants a power complex, and they've decided to make the whole world their sandbox. Mind that temperature tool!

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content for the next two weeks before it goes live. As always we appreciate your feedback, so please share your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum. Thank-you!

What does this preview contain so far?

The following content is available in the Ranching Upgrade Mark II preview:

Reveal hidden contents
  • New Critter Morphs -- by breeding creatures new kinds of eggs might be laid
    • Hatch Morphs
    • Shine Bug Morphs
    • Slickster Morphs
    • Puft Morphs
  • Baby critters added to the critter lifecycle
  • New critters:
    • Drecko
    • Drecko Morphs
    • Pacu
    • Pacu Morphs
  • Gaseous Element Sensor
  • In-pipe sensors (liquid and gas)
    • Germ sensor
    • Element sensor
    • Temperature sensor
  • Radiant pipes (liquid and gas)
  • Memory Bit logic component
  • Added logic ports to many more buildings
  • Sandbox Tools
    • Sandbox mode can be enabled on new custom games, or from the pause menu

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is a preview of the upgrade being released on May 3rd, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs or crashes while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing the preview.

Regarding performance, the preview has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Ranching Upgrade Mark II preview, it cannot be reopened again in the Mark I Upgrade or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Early Access branch until the Ranching Upgrade Mark II releases in full on May 3rd. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to test the Ranching Upgrade Mark II preview, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

Just switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Reveal hidden contents

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "ranching_upgrade_ii_preview"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this preview of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

View full update

Game is now so slow that i'm only getting 2-4 fps.I don't see ONI going anywhere unless this game is optimized

3 minutes ago, ArunPrasath said:

Game is now so slow that i'm only getting 2-4 fps.I don't see ONI going anywhere unless this game is optimized

That always happens during preview. It will be optimized when the full update comes out in 2 weeks

On 4/20/2018 at 10:39 PM, Ecu said:

Since this update is around ranching and we have a series of shine nymphs that all require phosphorite, I think we need a renewable source of it.  This is especially true if the drecko are actually supposed to eat peppers of the peppernut plant (right now they essentially eat nothing).

They actually eat pincha peppernut leaves from the plant. If you watch dreckos in a cavern with peppernuts, they'll munch on the plant, reducing the plant's maturity.

On 20/04/2018 at 3:04 PM, TheScaryOne said:

Were any other changes made to worldgen, IE, can regenerating a current seed still spawn the same map, but now with Pacu and Drecko?

Nope, The World Gen on Test Branches works differently, so the same seed from a stable branch will not generate the same map on the test branch.

13 hours ago, Kiros said:

They actually eat pincha peppernut leaves from the plant. If you watch dreckos in a cavern with peppernuts, they'll munch on the plant, reducing the plant's maturity.

They actually reduce the maturity of the plant?  If it actually reduces the maturation though, we still need renewable phosphorite, as without it the plant won't mature and we would still be unable to support drecko and shine nymphs over time.

I am curious, what happens if there are too many drecko?  Will they destroy the plant completely, or will they just run out of food as the plant tries to regrow?  Or even, is it just broken and they can eat from a very immature plant endlessly?

12 minutes ago, Ecu said:

They actually reduce the maturity of the plant?  If it actually reduces the maturation though, we still need renewable phosphorite, as without it the plant won't mature and we would still be unable to support drecko and shine nymphs over time.

I am curious, what happens if there are too many drecko?  Will they destroy the plant completely, or will they just run out of food as the plant tries to regrow?  Or even, is it just broken and they can eat from a very immature plant endlessly?

you can build drecko room with wild pincha

1 hour ago, landromat said:

you can build drecko room with wild pincha

Utilizing wild plants isn't a good long term solution and limits you to the amount of plants growing wild.  Once again, if the purpose behind this game upgrade is to allow us to create our own ranches, we need the tools to create said ranch.  In this case, we need the tools to be able to grow peppernut plants reliably.

For that, we need renewable phosphorite.

Additionally, shine nymphs need phosphorite as well as food.  This means even if your argument was to exploit the idea that wild plants don't need fertilizer for dreckos, it doesn't solve the problem for shine nymphs.

Edited by Ecu
  • Like 1

It's bugged right now. They receive all the calories they need from any maturity level of the plant. Looks like an oversight.
Using the wrong value when getting the calories. 100% growth of a plant is 100% calorie storage of the Drecko though.

Wild Dreckos can hold 40 cycles of calories. Wild pepper plants grow in 32 cycles.
So theoretically need 5 wild pepper plants in a maxed out room of wild Dreckos.
When tame and domesticated it's 10 cycles and 8 cycles. Same ratio there.
Wild plants and tame Dreckos would be 3.2 plants per Drecko then.

I have noticed that the morphed critters (Sunny Shine bug, Puft Prince, etc.) are occurring naturally in the biome. I will often finally get to pockets and the original "mother" is dead and I am left with just the morph. I would suggest that you make the morph possible as part of a breeding program that the dupes do to get the traits that they want. Maybe make a "natural morph" in the wild ultra rare.

Just my 2 cents anyway.