Could we just get rid of the unnecessary grind for once?!

5 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Stingers too can be a nuisance from lag standpoint, yet can be avoided with some planning (not camping close to killer bees and/or not placing other mobs beside them/bee boxes etc).

Also, if stinger were more useful, rather than being used in two or three items, people would pick them, use them in items and it would help solving the issue in a way.

4 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Also, if stinger were more useful, rather than being used in two or three items, people would pick them, use them in items and it would help solving the issue in a way.

True. For a resources so abundant it sure has too a few uses - could get some balance (aka maybe some new traps, weapons - this was already suggested from what I recall) - still is not of such importance to warrant immediate Klei intervention.

2 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

still is not of such importance to warrant immediate Klei intervention.

There is, from my point of view, very few things requiring "immediate intervention" anyway. And when it comes to balance, time is often useful. So i agree. And Klei said in the past that at the moment they are busy with second event, so nothing will come soon anyway.

In case anybody was wondering (you weren't) what my opinion about the ACTUAL SUBJECT was, it...well, it isn't that interesting.  I kinda agree with Kertinker, in that the "tedium" part doesn't really bother me that much.  I mean, if all the harvesting stuff was super-fast, then...what would you do, all day?  Would it be all excitement, all-battle, all the time?  In that case it wouldn't feel like the same game anymore.  I mean, I get that it can be annoying, but...what exactly would you replace all that saved time with, and how would you speed up the harvesting and crafting processes in a non-OP kind of way?

Which is why we're all suggesting mods, 'cos I can't think of how that would work in a balanced, fulfilling way.  That's the main problem is...if you save all that time, then what do you DO with that time now?  There are _so_ many possibilities--and everybody will have their own ideas. 

I dunno...one of my nicknames for the game is "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Harvest Moon'" for a REASON, and..I kinda _like_ that aspect of it... Quiet routine moments are nice every now and then between the bouts of absolute terror.  (shrug)

...Notorious

My dude, how about you look into the mod section of steam instead of bitching and being so arrogant that you think game mechanics should be moulded around what you think is useless or annoying. The game itself gives you many optional settings for you to change it as it pleases you most. If that isn't enough, this game has lots of mods that - I'm certain - will make the gameplay more of you liking.

So I'm too lazy to read through all of this but I (think) get the main point: some people think that the game has too much grind or other stupid things (animation for harvesting, having to reset 100 tooth traps) and some people like it about the game and don't agree.

Hmmm. So maybe klei should add difficulty erg... changer(?) when you create a server? Like an easy setting where all harvesting animations are replaced with picking animation, tooth traps auto-reset after 10 seconds. Then there would be normal setting which is game how it is. And a hard settings which would... idk add thirst to the game, make characters need to use sticks too cook or else they get burn dmg. Make wounds a thing where we get slowed down.

And the funny thing is...a lot of those things in the hard mode already exist with mods!  There's at least one that involves wounds, the kindling mod (not the same as "burn yourself unless you use a stick to cook", but it does make campfires harder to start in the first place), and I've been using the Thirst mod myself recently:

dstcivday45raininginthesnow.png.50c74cb264185570343c29a02d5d9b2e.png

That's what that bright blue icon on the left is from. It also comes with a lovely well!  :)  (yesilikeusingscreenshotsshutup.  : P)

Of course, this doesn't work for players on console, which is where your idea comes in.  The other problem is, not everybody will want the SAME difficulty level, unless you set it up ahead of time and play only with friends who think about the same way about the game as you do.  There's also just telling people about the world in the description; but who reads THAT, amirite?  I've seen many people join a world that clearly said it was, say, full of walrus camps, and then be shocked that there were walruses everywhere.  (facepalms like Walani is doing in the above picture)

So basically that's a neat idea, and I myself love tweaking worldgen settings for fun and profit experimentation, but everybody's individual mileage will vary.  Also, since that would probably involve a LOT of new programming from Klei and take a while even if they were willing to look into it...for now it's probably best just to use the aforementioned mods. :\

HEY KIDS!  WANT SOME UNPREDICTABILITY IN YOUR DON'T STARVE GAME?  TRY OUR NEW RANDOMIZED SEASONS!  Now with Actual Season Randomiser Mod(TM) expansion pack!

(but seriously that's something I do to up the difficulty all the time, that can be done by _any_ player right in the worldgen settings before you start the game. Unfortunately, unless you have mods it'll be the SAME new season lengths every year, but...)

...Notorious

Archived