Doodle Time

On 3/22/2018 at 1:08 AM, Swollson said:

triumwil.png

You did very well on her face, it's very fetching, yet also clearly Willow. The fire hair and red tie is also appealing.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:34 AM, Swollson said:

had this comic idea pop into my head, and i just had to sketch it all out lmao xDD

I don't entirely know what's going on here or who exactly she originally thought she was saving, but this is hilarious. 

On 6/21/2018 at 7:12 PM, Wesminator said:

wes-wolf-oven-small.thumb.png.cd3913ba4a8fa55a4b43a2f2cd3cc180.png

Wes looks like he's trying to get a bite of the food for some reason, it find it amusing and kind of cute - Both of them. Wolfgang looks concerned. Maybe concerned about Wes sneaking off a nibble of food.
They all must be hungry after fighting in forge right? And only person who gets to eat is Gnaw.

Maybe it's like that episode of Spongebob, with the pizza delivery.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vixenine said:

Is it me or are they wearing spandex under those aprons?

B) you know it!

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

Maybe it's like that episode of Spongebob, with the pizza delivery.

How convenient! I was just talking about spongebob!! And yesss!! Wes is def squidward.

Wolfgang's pizza, is the pizza for Wes and me~

• Haha 2

Took a break from animating my ANR shot to play the Gorge; finally got all the achieves *jazz hands* so here's a dancing Wes serving that cheesecake B)

DST-Wes-Hipsway.thumb.gif.20ad0b7644b69330e28a127cb4cc4dcc.gif

For some reason, I keep having these weird thoughts of the DST gang rapping o(-( I know it's super OOC but someone hit me up with some DST lines. Imma rap as Maxwell aka Maxy the Great aka Lil Willie Carter aka ShadowMan, please save me!

I'm the top chef and you're a 2nd rate cook,
Who needs to rely on an old recipe book,
Cooking should just come very secondary,
You need proof? Here's my confectionery,
I'm Maxwell the Great, pinnacle of perfection,
Make use of your time, the salt's in that direction

LMAO ok @Swollson I'm challenging ya! Or anyone else who wants to have silly rap battles about Gorge stuff :p

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Wesminator said:

Wes is def squidward.

Exactly what I was thinking.

He might burn his hand though, that pot looks hot. Wolfgang is holding it with oven mits but Wes looks like he's about to lift that lid while it's still steaming. 

36 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

DST-Wes-Hipsway.thumb.gif.20ad0b7644b69330e28a127cb4cc4dcc.gif

There is very good understanding with motion in this, and how his shoulders move. Have you taken some animation classes or something?
The whole thing is very smooth and animate, very flowing. 

• Like 1

Exactly what I was thinking.

He might burn his hand though, that pot looks hot. Wolfgang is holding it with oven mits but Wes looks like he's about to lift that lid while it's still steaming. 

Lol Wes is a silly bean. Wolfgang will look out for mime son before he completely destroys his hands.

There is very good understanding with motion in this, and how his shoulders move. Have you taken some animation classes or something?
The whole thing is very smooth and animate, very flowing. 

Ahh thank you ; v ; I love flowy animations so I try to incorporate it into my style! I have taken a few classes but most the learning has been through experimentation and a lot of patience o(-( I might provide the base file so others can slap more DST characters in there. Might do another with Wilson or Wicker lol

Edited by Wesminator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wesminator said:

Lol Wes is a silly bean. Wolfgang will look out for mime son before he completely destroys his hands.

Maybe that's why he looks so concerned XD

2 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

Ahh thank you ; v ; I love flowy animations so I try to incorporate it into my style! I have taken a few classes but most the learning has been through experimentation and a lot of patience o(-(

I sure bet it took patience.
How long did it take you? Probably a very long time, I'm predicting.

Just now, gallusvarius said:

Maybe that's why he looks so concerned XD

I sure bet it took patience.
How long did it take you? Probably a very long time, I'm predicting.

Uhhh ngl this one was rather fast (compared to other B&W pieces I've done). Took about 12hrs from start to finish (I also colored half of it but then decided against it.) It would've been a shorter time if my workflow wasn't all over the place but I like that crayon/sketchy look. *shrug* Have you ever animated anything Gallus?

• Like 1

Just now, Wesminator said:

Uhhh ngl this one was rather fast (compared to other B&W pieces I've done). Took about 12hrs from start to finish (I also colored half of it but then decided against it.) It would've been a shorter time if my workflow wasn't all over the place but I like that crayon/sketchy look

I know what you mean by working all over the place. My detailed pieces can take 8 hours and usually more if I sit down and work from beginning to finish... But especially lately, I make them take weeks by working on little them little bits at a time. 

1 minute ago, Wesminator said:

*shrug* Have you ever animated anything Gallus?

Uhh, yes. Usually nothing successful. I have an animation program but lack understand of 'how things move' or how to depict a difference between quick and slower movements.
I am significantly more successful with animating animals though. They're really my specialty more. I know more about how a dog runs or how a squid swims than how a human stirs a pot with a spoon - and I know because I've animated all three of these with considerable failure on the human part. 

I saw your 'new reign animated' though. I thought about trying for the spot for the hounds being released from stone because it's short and also, they're animals, and also, it doesn't seem like anyone else wants that part. But I wasn't sure if I'd be able to, so I wanted to see if I'd make it on my own accord and then offer it when it was already done - Allowing someone else to make a better one or beat me to it, or in generally leave the position open in case I fail. 

1 minute ago, gallusvarius said:

Uhh, yes. Usually nothing successful. I have an animation program but lack understand of 'how things move' or how to depict a difference between quick and slower movements.

Movement and Timing are things that develop over time. Even I struggle with it but what if I told you that the best way to actually combat that is to use arches/circles/spirals. I won't go into a big lecture about it but if you look at a lot of movements, they follow an arch (ie) the way your feet move when you walk, a ball bouncing, animals runnning, etc If you legit map a circle/arch/spiral out on paper then place each frame (separate drawing) along it's path, your animations will start to have a nice sense of movement. I think this is one of the most important things to grasp and could help you as you continue to learn. Also look at tons of references!

With timing, if you lay out our drawings all on top of each other, we call this onion skinning, you can actually see where your spacing is and what needs to be altered. More frames/drawings = slower movements and less frames/drawings = faster movement speed. There's tons of different ways to space things but usually it depends on the movement.

I hope this helps! I might bust breakdown my wes gif for you to better illustrate (I'm a visual learner tbh).

12 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I am significantly more successful with animating animals though. They're really my specialty more. I know more about how a dog runs or how a squid swims than how a human stirs a pot with a spoon.

Lmao maybe you can teach me a thing or 2 about animals. I'm so clueless but I understand the basics

13 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I saw your 'new reign animated' though. I thought about trying for the spot for the hounds being released from stone because it's short and also, they're animals, and also, it doesn't seem like anyone else wants that part. But I wasn't sure if I'd be able to, so I wanted to see if I'd make it on my own accord and then offer it when it was already done - Allowing someone else to make a better one or beat me to it, or in generally leave the position open in case I fail. 

If you want the shot and have the time, you are more than welcome to send me an application. The project is meant to be fun and enjoyable, regardless of skill. So whenever you're ready :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

Movement and Timing are things that develop over time. Even I struggle with it but what if I told you that the best way to actually combat that is to use arches/circles/spirals. I won't go into a big lecture about it but if you look at a lot of movements, they follow an arch (ie) the way your feet move when you walk, a ball bouncing, animals runnning, etc If you legit map a circle/arch/spiral out on paper then place each frame (separate drawing) along it's path, your animations will start to have a nice sense of movement. I think this is one of the most important things to grasp and could help you as you continue to learn. Also look at tons of references!

Interesting bit about the circle.
I knew 'lines of movement' and knew them even for drawings/non-animated things that they could help. I'll try to keep this in mind next I'm animating something. 
References was something I knew, yeah. Although, with a person stirring a pot of food ( Like Wilson is right now on the title of DST because of Gorge), me and my sister were trying to figure it out, and pretending to stir pots to try and reference each other...  First try I got the speed right but the motion completely wrong. Next time I got the motion right and the speed completely wrong. And then I retreated back to drawing. I dabble in animation, with 'dabbling' probably not being enough, but... I used to draw with the mouse for years, so it was hard. I have a wacom tablet now, so maybe I should try it again, but with that instead, and see if it makes a difference for me.
One thing that helps me with animals is I actually know the science behind a lot of their movements. Squids, for example, have a siphon-jet-thing, they propel themselves through the water by shooting water out of said siphon. It's kind of like having a rocket jet for a nose and shooting yourself off the ground by breathing really hard out of your nose, and then jumping around like that. Via nose-breath-power. (The siphon is comparable to their nose.)
  I noticed you too had this because Wes's shoulders were also moving vividly with the rest of him, something I know I would have never thought about, but is certainly true and realistic for that movement in humans.
The first successful thing I did with a human at all, even if low-detail and done in 3 hours (So very, very simple, few frames, very chunky), I did after watching myself walk enough to know the motion and then to animate it. 
In truth though, I have very little practice. In the course of my time trying hard to do art-y-things, I've made maybe about, ten animations. So not very much at all...
Well, wait, now I remember I did some stuff for a mini-video game me and my sister tried to do. I animated little betta fish sprites. It went really well only, we failed on the programming part. They swim around but that's all they do. We wanted to add some kind of fighting, which is very complicated programming to make from scratch apparently, and it was an online development background... Basically, we weren't free to program whatever the heck we wanted.
I looked around and found out a fighting game has never ever ever been made with that program, so we didn't try any more after that. But I remember those little betta fish being pretty successful. 
So in addition to those, about ten. 

Bah, I went on a tangent. I'll see if I can dabble again maybe even today though.
How do you upload animated things on here? I have one displayed here but to see it, you have to click on the link. 

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

References was something I knew, yeah. Although, with a person stirring a pot of food ( Like Wilson is right now on the title of DST because of Gorge), me and my sister were trying to figure it out, and pretending to stir pots to try and reference each other...  First try I got the speed right but the motion completely wrong. Next time I got the motion right and the speed completely wrong.

Funny thing timing at least you made an attempt at both, now to merge them together to get the ultimate wilson stir-fest! (timing is the biggest can of worms orz)

Wilson-2.gif.79f99a524852f9deacaef1942422dfae.gif

And yeh just keep dabbling! If at first you don't succeed, try and try again! Feel free to ask me anything if you need more help or an explanation. As far as uploading gifs, I just saved it as a gif then uploaded it through choose files here on the forums at the bottom. oOo

Edited by Wesminator
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wilson-2.gif.79f99a524852f9deacaef1942422dfae.gif

Interesting, you made it go at a different perspective than we tried. I see the circle too.
It's a cute little wilson.

Funny thing timing at least you made an attempt at both, now to merge them together to get the ultimate wilson stir-fest! (timing is the biggest can of worms orz)

Thank you for the encouragement. I might try again after doing what I'm currently working on to see if I can do a better job.
I animated one of silly things that happened to me and a friend in DST, and it turned out better than the comics I tried doing for them, so I had tried to animate another, which ended up far less successful.
I think the reason I only dabble is because I know there are things I do better, and I have a tendency to just want to stick with those sometimes, but that's only why I dabble occasionally - I haven't stopped poking animation because of it. 

I think our problem with the pot stirring was our attempts to get the whole body in motion with it. It looked really weird each time. I tried making the body lean in with the outward stirs and then come back, to have the elbows and arm go from bent to more straight, but none of it seemed right.
...If I'm not doing it wrong, then humans must look very strange when stirring soup?

I'll try uploading it to see if the files are compatible for me.
Hmm, nope, looks like it's still a link... My program wants to export things into 'MP4' for some weird reason. I use Pencil. Probably not the best program for it, but free. I think I don't understand half, or more than half, of the gadgets and bits and things in that program. At least I found the onion skin, which I needed for anything to be good at all. 

I think our problem with the pot stirring was our attempts to get the whole body in motion with it.

One day im going the just break down the principles of animation and show you all the neat tricks to getting that motion to have a sense of flow because the things your struggling with can be easily explained with such. There's also a nifty book called Animator's Survival Kit. Its got ton of information to help you on your dabbling journey! (I'll search for the other few books I've used that might help)

Mp4 is a movie file. I havent used Pencil but a quick google search and it doesn't seem to have the .gif capability yet. I bet there's some online converting website that can do the trick. Otherwise I mostly use Photoshop to create basic .gifs

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

Otherwise I mostly use Photoshop to create basic .gifs

Whhhhyyy does everyone have photoshoppppp DX   
Kidding, mostly. I use GIMP for my digital art, I hear it can do animation too. However, after around four years of using it, I still don't know how on earth I'm supposed to make it do animations.

21 minutes ago, Wesminator said:

One day im going the just break down the principles of animation and show you all the neat tricks to getting that motion to have a sense of flow because the things your struggling with can be easily explained with such

I figured they were things easily explained, problems with understanding of how humans move or something, considering the animals I've done have felt pretty successful. 
I would appreciate that, if you can find things that explain it. I wouldn't want to take up too much of your time. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wesminator said:

Mumsy please, I just wanna make mac & cheez

What-
On earth

This is hilarious, and I definitely didn't expect it.

Wilson's expressions are hilarious. How did you get snipets of his vocals? I know he has a vocal file in the game files, did you just take a small recording of that or something?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vixenine said:

Brilliant! Nothing like Mumsy's milk to bring all those starvers to the yard XD

#makethemworkD:

Ya know! But hey ya gotta fulfill that cheez craving Wilson so chop chop! Milk the desperate talking mommy goat that has slight merpes. Not awkward at all.

The original inspiration came from rewatching the Hamlet trailer where Wilson goes into the store. @Swollson and I were saying he'd go in there and order a #5 or some chicken nuggets and a milkshake...then it just went downhill from there.

How did you get snipets of his vocals?

People have ripped the SFXs for Dont Starve plenty of times. So a quick google search and you can download all of them then create madness :) I bet the sound files are here on the forums as well. Of course everything belongs to klei respectively.

Edited by Wesminator
  • Haha 2

On 6/24/2018 at 10:43 AM, Wesminator said:

Even I struggle with it but what if I told you that the best way to actually combat that is to use arches/circles/spirals. I won't go into a big lecture about it but if you look at a lot of movements, they follow an arch (ie) the way your feet move when you walk, a ball bouncing, animals runnning, etc If you legit map a circle/arch/spiral out on paper then place each frame (separate drawing) along it's path, your animations will start to have a nice sense of movement.

Klei actually made a few videos on animating including circles and arcs :)

https://www.twitch.tv/kleientertainment/videos/all

On 6/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, Wesminator said:

Mumsy please, I just wanna make mac & cheez o(-( This is what 5-minutes and staying up late will get ya. I'm not sorry for it tho lmao. I am sorry for Mumsy's horribly drawn face, lack of horns, and the bad quality orz

Mumsyv01.mov

I cam imagine Wilson would be pretty disturbed when buying milk from Mumsy ^^; Least's it's "Fresh from the source" ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (Wilson so loud I can't hear that last word XD )

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wesminator said:

WHEEZE heres some animated maxy. Might color it laters *shrug shrug* The smoke was fun to play around with. Got my animation bug going so gotta make the most of it am I right?

I can feel his lungs deteriorating - Kidding. For all I know his cigar could be an illusion while he's on the throne, I didn't see a cigar get sucked into the Codex Umbra with him and Charlie.
Or maybe one did and it just belongs to the throne now. 
Maybe, maybe it's not the survivors who rule - But the cigar is the true ruler of nightmares, the only one to truly remain on the throne- Okay, I'll stop now.

There's seriously a lot of motion in this. Especially the little details of movement, like down to the way his hand moves as he brings the cigar to his lips - This is really impressive. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Oooh, nice. I like how he puts his entire body into sucking that cigar, but never opens his eyes. The hand is really well done too.

Aah thank you! I thought puffing his chest out more than usual would help to emphasize the motion since he really doesn't move much. I'm thankful you noticed the hard work on them hands, its one thing I still need to practice.

47 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Maybe, maybe it's not the survivors who rule - But the cigar is the true ruler of nightmares, the only one to truly remain on the throne-

Smoking cigs is how nightmare fuel is created... Jk jk

49 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

There's seriously a lot of motion in this. Especially the little details of movement, like down to the way his hand moves as he brings the cigar to his lips - This is really impressive. 

Yeah, tracking all those details can be a pain but I dont think I'd do Maxy justice if I didn't take the time to do so. And thank you!

Thank you all for the kind comments/support! ; v ; I really appreciate them~

• Like 2