Dedicated Server Play Offline Mac OSX

Hi Guys,

I have a dedicated server on Mac OS X working great online. I want to be able to play LAN only offline with my cousin in the same room. Is this possible? I try to start my dedicated server while not connected to the internet, and it fails to login to Steam. Any suggestions? I used this guide:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/64687-dedicated-server-quick-setup-guide-mac-os-x/

You have to set your server as "offline" otherwise it will try to communicate with Steam to be listed on the game's server list. To do so, add this line to your cluster.ini file, within the [NETWORK] group:

[NETWORK]
offline_server = true

Alright not being connected to the internet is probably the issue then as the script (according to the guild link you posted) always try to install/update the game on startup. This line in step 9. run_dedicated_servers.sh, specifically:

On 2/23/2016 at 9:33 PM, 255 said:

./steamcmd.sh +force_install_dir "$install_dir" +login anonymous +app_update 343050 validate +quit

This requires an internet connection to install the game; if it's already installed it looks for game updates and validate the game files. You can comment this line and try it out, could possibly work to play disconnected from the internet (although I can't tell for sure). 

Important things to notice if you comment this line:

• You have to run the script at least once while connected to the internet so the game files will be downloaded (first time setup)
  • If your computer is connected to the internet (at any point) with Steam open, your game client could potentially be updated. If that happens your dedicated server will mismatch your client version, thus you'll need to update your server to be able to find it and play on it (pretty much the step above, just run the script once with that line uncommented)

Not sure why you're playing disconnected from the internet, but if the sole reason is to not have your server listed, setting the offline_server setting takes care of that already.

Thank you again for your quick reply. Yeah, that is a good thing to point out in the script. I am having mixed results with trying to make it work offline, and it seems being online is really the only way to go.

I will be disconnected from the internet because my grandma doesn't have internet at her house. Just trying to emulate that for when I head over there. I could mobile hotspot if I need to, though. I want a dedicated server because it reduces lag heavily. What do you recommend, sir?

14 hours ago, neal rauls90 said:

What do you recommend

Well I couldn't recommend anything really as I only played offline disconnected from the internet once, and it was alone on a "server" hosted from within the game client, not a dedicated server.

14 hours ago, neal rauls90 said:

I am having mixed results with trying to make it work offline

Can you describe what are you trying and what results you're getting? I know one should be able to play offline on its own; not sure if others would be able to join your server though. Guess it's a matter of really trial x error to get it right - or to figure out it doesn't work at all :/

Archived