RNG is my Nemesis

I was testing a world, to see if I configured it right, so that it was playable and hopefully I could play with some people in it (after resetting). Did everything right, had a firepit and plenty of berry bushes, and enough of everything for a crockpot except rocks. So I went looking for rocks on day 4. And looking... and looking... and then I ran into a killer bee biome. Those aren't too bad, since as long as you keep moving, the bees can't sting you. It was a little tight, but I managed to get past it, and found Chester to boot.

Then I immediately ran into a hound mound, in a forest biome.

Thanks to Chester's diligent loyalty, I couldn't shake the hounds, because they kept aggroing on him as he merrily bounced along behind me. I thought of sacrificing him by relinquishing the eye bone, but my reflexes are so slow, that by the time I did that, I'd be hound chow. Plus who could sacrifice such a darling little chest monster? No problem though, because I just passed through a killer bee biome!

So instead of running laps around this tiny chokepoint between the killer bees and the desert (where the hound mound had spilled over from due to mapgen error), I led the 7 or 8 hounds on my tail through the killer bee biome. I was trying to distract them with the bees, as is the right thing to do, not realizing that I'd just spent the entire day exploring without finding a single boulder... and that was the exact moment that night chose to fall.

I had a torch, of course. But it was only at 35%, and it's kind of hard to craft torches when you're running mostly blindly through a giant field of killer bee hives with hounds nipping at your heels. Due to the torch's small light radius, it's also hard to not run into beehives, giving the bees a chance to strike, or to get lost and end up running into the coast that you thought you were running parallel to. So my torch ran out, I had to stop to construct a torch, the bees stunlocked me, and then Charlie gave me a nice friendly hug.

At least I took those damn hounds with me.

Sounds like some of the nights I've had.  : P  In my earlier version of the March of Civilization (mark 2) world--as in, before I did The Stupid--I had one night where I ran through killer beehives with torches, in the rain, ALL NIGHT LONG.  Thankfully I didn't also have hounds, and I made more than one torch ahead of time (it was already spring, so I knew I'd need them) but...yeah, that was a long scary time.

No, when I DID have hounds was that earlier time when I was running through the rain on a hound night, past three Mosling nests, straight onto a spiderweb, got hit by lightning three times almost in a row and THEN the frogs started falling.  And then I died.  Of freezing.

10/10, would die most epic death ever again.  XD

I also had a similar thing to you with the hound mound not being quite on the desert fairly recently, but that was more understandable in this case--I was using the Multiworld/Megarandom mod(s) (you need both to make it work properly) and on default settings, the biomes are _nuts_.  Mosaic 2.0?  It was more like mosaic on METH.  Put it this way:  The sleeping Bearger kept getting woken up by hounds, and he was in a FOREST.  I just stood there and calmly collected the teeth for free.  :)

...Notorious

Well, I tried again. I think the seed changes when your world regenerates? It looked somewhat different, and I couldn't find those killer bees. But I found a nice autumn biome, and set up a firepit... and I'd been trying out a Teleportato mod, so I then discovered a Wooden Thing about 1 screen away from my firepit, defended by 3 hound mounds.

And then I died for totally unrelated reasons, because I accidentally clicked on a tree while running around leading spiders into traps. Wickerbottom did Lucy proud, going down mid-chop.

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I was using the Multiworld/Megarandom mod(s) (you need both to make it work properly)

That does sound nuts... I was trying out the Set Piece Config mod, which I think adds more set pieced by default, and a mod called Force Biomes which might have spiced things up a tad. (By default I think it selects many more biomes more frequently.) I've avoided the Multiworld mod, as I don't fully understand how Shards connect, and didn't want to depart too far from vanilla DST. Also because I can't think of many things more terrifying than a herd of Ewecus.

I do think Force Biomes needs a lot of configurating to be workable, because even after my world reset, it still took forever to find a rocky biome, and my grasslands seemed to be entirely devoid of Beefalo biomes. Haven't God Moded my way around to verify this though.

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

And then I died.  Of freezing.

Of course!

got hit by lightning three times almost in a row and THEN the frogs started falling.

Did you have an Eyebrella? Or were you unlucky enough to start out in Spring?

No eyebrella...I started out in Autumn, but it was kind of a weird world to begin with (for one thing, no Glommer) and my main fellow player was a seven-year-old who didn't fully speak English.  (So he kept getting killed by red-butt beefalo, picking the beebox flowers...)  But I can't use any of that as an excuse 'cos I ALWAYS just lure the first Deerclops off somewhere.  Sometimes the other things there kill him on their own, sometimes they don't...I don't trust my kiting abilities well enough to properly fight him and I never have anywhere near enough tooth traps by then.  : P  (And I usually end up playing alone.)

The lightning was NUTS even for a DS spring, though.  Wow.

The Megarandom/Multiworlds mods...as I understand it, it doesn't have to be shards at all--it can just put everything right on the surface.  Sure, this can result in fun stuff like this:hisharkkitties.png.f8c13780960aaa878e4c7ff113b4b0f5.png

(I love how Winona's default expression looks like:  "Really?")

...but you can also turn a random corner and run SMACK into a Ewecus out of nowhere.  There's also a giant pink rabbit running around somewhere (near the Bearger, actually).  I call him The Easter Bunny.

It took me several worldgens to get one that DIDN'T kill me immediately at spawn and eventually make this:

megarandombase.png.36fe37f2b4b8332a4632564dea5638b0.png

...but that was before I found out you can CONFIGURE it.  You can make cave biomes not show up on the surface at all, cut down Ewecus sightings and take out that terrifying CITY of Walrus huts that spawns sometimes.  But I didn't know that--this world is a default-settings Megarandom, which means I have to tiptoe around _very carefully_.  On the other hand, I've got tons of USEFUL stuff right nearby too, so...  (DISCLAIMER:  Oxygen Apple trees not included; those are from a different mod.)

Really the most fun thing about that mod is the freaking SURREAL screenshots you can take.  I think I got two of my Steam friends to try it out from that alone.  XD  I took a screenshot of me running through a meadow with a cave-stalactite overlay in the foreground, and they were like "WHAT is THAT?!"

...Notorious

Archived