How to survive the spring? (world generator is buged?)

Wilkinson

Does anyone know how you can survive the spring?
Does anyone know other (equally effective) ways to get food than to settle in the savannah and hunt for rabbits (by mass setting up traps). It's impossible to use at spring, because then rabbit holes are colapsed.
At this moment, the only playable season giving player a real chance to survive is autumn.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: 

Why Wilson ALWAYS start at Autumn, when other characters ALWAYS start at Spring? I guess the world generator isn't that random as should be?

You are quite new to the game right? DS was meant to be hard to learn, but once you get into it, nothing is too difficult to survive. Monsters and fights can mostly be avoided, there are alternative solutions for many things, for getting food too.

Your spring and the rain for your advantage and pick the berry bushes as often as you can, you'll have tons of berries. You can also replant the bushes at your base to reduce travelling time. 

Have you made a cock pot? If not, I'd strongly recommend to build one. With it you can cook one meat (can be monster meat as well, which is easy to get from hounds or spiders) plus 3 fillers (almost anything works, berries, ice, fruits, etc) to get meatballs. A great food to start with. It's not a very good recipe compared to others, but it's more than enough to survive ;)

30 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

You are quite new to the game right? DS was meant to be hard to learn, but once you get into it, nothing is too difficult to survive. Monsters and fights can mostly be avoided, there are alternative solutions for many things, for getting food too.

In Don't Starve everthing is difficult and anyone who has played at least once without cheats (no console, mods and default world generator settings only) knows about it. Especialy, if RNGesus (world generator) will not be gracious. You need specific items to survive, otherwise you will be dead very soon. For crate those items, you need a specific materials. For example, if game don't give to you flint, you will be dead. If don't give you gold, you will be dead, and so on. There is realy easy to die, even accidentally. Especialy in RoG.

Fight cannot be avoided, if you want to collect mandatory resources, like a gears for example, what is needed for create Ice Box or Ice Flingomatic. And, when hounds attack for example. 

42 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Your spring and the rain for your advantage and pick the berry bushes as often as you can, you'll have tons of berries. You can also replant the bushes at your base to reduce travelling time. 

Tons? You mean a few berries, that the forst thing. Second, a replanting things is the other phase of the game, when you have some basic resources and can waste time for replanting. It's especialy hard for  plants what a need be fetilize after replant, so grass and berry bushes need rot or manure. That means you need a lot of time to gather all of those things for they be effective. It's impossible in Spring, when you don't have rabbits... 

47 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Have you made a cock pot? If not, I'd strongly recommend to build one. With it you can cook one meat (can be monster meat as well, which is easy to get from hounds or spiders) plus 3 fillers (almost anything works, berries, ice, fruits, etc) to get meatballs. A great food to start with. It's not a very good recipe compared to others, but it's more than enough to survive ;)

Of course, I know it is very easy to survive. Just do not die. Oh, wait... You talk about crock pot. Thank you, captain obvious!

Try imagine, I'm not an idiot. I know a basic things and know how to use a Google. Don't tell me, I should just survive. Tell me, how to do that at spring.

Oh, and no, monster meat isn't a easyly to get. Especialy from hounds. They are deadlyif you don't have log suit and spear. Spiders can be catch using traps, but still it's tkaes time for find them and find other things to mix it with monster meat.

All of those things take too much time. Especialy, when days at spring isn't long enough, and you had to stay warm, because freezing is still a problem.

With full respect... If you don't have any helpfull and smart to say, just do not speak.

47 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

In Don't Starve everthing is difficult and anyone who has played at least once without cheats (no console, mods and default world generator settings only) knows about it. Especialy, if RNGesus (world generator) will not be gracious. You need specific items to survive, otherwise you will be dead very soon. For crate those items, you need a specific materials. For example, if game don't give to you flint, you will be dead. If don't give you gold, you will be dead, and so on. There is realy easy to die, even accidentally. Especialy in RoG.

True, DS is quite difficult and one can die very easyly a lot of times, until one learns their way to how to survive. Once you find a way to overcome these difficulties, the game will get much easier for you. However, there are always enough resources for a start in a new world, flint, boulders, berries, grass and twigs etc. If somehow not, then there was a huge error during generation, but I have never encountered such. Even if you don't find the gold on the first day, keep looking till you get to the rocky or mosaic biome, you'll find it sooner or later. Try to follow the roads or the edge of the map.

53 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

Fight cannot be avoided, if you want to collect mandatory resources, like a gears for example, what is needed for create Ice Box or Ice Flingomatic. And, when hounds attack for example. 

Yes, fight can be avoided if you want in almost every case, even in early game. Here are some methods (in spoilers, so look at it only if you don't want to experiment yourself):

Spoiler

When the hounds attack, go to a beefalo herd and run around them untill they kill them. A pig village can do it as well, or a spider den, tho the latter is a bit dangerous.

If you want to kill clockworks, spiders or other small creatures: feed pigmen some meat and they'll fight for you.

If you want to get gears, you can completely avoid fighting by opening tumbleweeds in the desert. This takes some time tho, but a lot safer.

1 hour ago, Wilkinson said:

Tons? You mean a few berries, that the forst thing. Second, a replanting things is the other phase of the game, when you have some basic resources and can waste time for replanting. It's especialy hard for  plants what a need be fetilize after replant, so grass and berry bushes need rot or manure. That means you need a lot of time to gather all of those things for they be effective. It's impossible in Spring, when you don't have rabbits... 

If you don't have manure yet, then don't replant them. You could base near the pig village (or any other place with more bushes), or just visit it every now and then. Once you find it, you'll have enough berries, believe me. 

A great way to get food during the day is to kill butterflies. Not that easy at first, but it can be learnt fast by some practice. And butterfly wings also give much hp, so they're pretty useful. Furthermore, they're available every day out of winter, so even in spring.

Of course, I know it is very easy to survive. Just do not die. Oh, wait... You talk about crock pot. Thank you, captain obvious!

Try imagine, I'm not an idiot. I know a basic things and know how to use a Google. Don't tell me, I should just survive. Tell me, how to do that at spring.

Oh, and no, monster meat isn't a easyly to get. Especialy from hounds. They are deadlyif you don't have log suit and spear. Spiders can be catch using traps, but still it's tkaes time for find them and find other things to mix it with monster meat.

What I said I didn't say because I thought you're an idiot, but because it looks like you have little experience about the game yet. You seem to think that rabbits are the only reliable source of food, but that's far not the case. I recommended the crock pot because I don't know how much you know about the game and thought you might haven't tried it. (Even I didn't use it at the beginning because I thought berries are better food).

If you don't have rabbits for meat, kill spiders for monster meat, that's also good in the pot. You can kite spiders, but you can also tank if you go to small dens, there will be only 3 of them, so they won't do much damage to you if you wear armor. Getting 6 berries and 2 monster meat is more than what you need for a day.

In general, I can recomment to go, explore and experiment in the game. It isn't meant to be easy and learning it usually takes a longer time. You could also turn RoG off and start playing the vanilla DS, that is easier and once you can reliable survive there, you can try out the DLCs.

4 hours ago, Wilkinson said:

Why Wilson ALWAYS start at Autumn, when other characters ALWAYS start at Spring? I guess the world generator isn't that random as should be?

I think it was just coincidence. Before you generate the world, you can change the world settings. Starting season is Autumn/Spring by default if I'm right, but you can change it to Autumn to have a less difficult start.

1 minute ago, fimmatek said:

However, there are always enough resources for a start in a new world, flint, boulders, berries, grass and twigs etc.

No, it's simply untrue. You have no idea about this game and play with console commands. 

10 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

No, it's simply untrue. You have no idea about this game and play with console commands. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know this game was impossible to play without the console commands. It seems you have way more and deeper knowledge about DS then I have.

Just now, fimmatek said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know this game was impossible to play without the console commands. It seems you have way more and deeper knowledge about DS then I have.

Obviously. You just you are talking commonly nonsense what about which everyone knows and repeat it, although it is not true and does not make sense. Typical "youtube knowledge".

Some examples about "always is enough basic resources" from my new games:

1. [Shipwrecked] I start at small island with only 1 flint.

2. [RoG] I start at spring on grassland. Find only a 3 flints. I run around searching more, but didn't find. Run to other biomes (I was sorrouding by forste bomes). And nowhere I can find a flints.

3. [RoG] I start at  world witch absolutely no stone biome and no gold anywhere. I delete it after 3 days searching it. 

21 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

Obviously. You just you are talking commonly nonsense what about which everyone knows and repeat it, although it is not true and does not make sense. Typical "youtube knowledge".

Some examples about "always is enough basic resources" from my new games:

2. [RoG] I start at spring on grassland. Find only a 3 flints. I run around searching more, but didn't find. Run to other biomes (I was sorrouding by forste bomes). And nowhere I can find a flints.

3. [RoG] I start at  world witch absolutely no stone biome and no gold anywhere. I delete it after 3 days searching it. 

I don't look yt videos about DS/T, or if so it's about someone's megabase, the soundtracks or new methods someone invented. But not about basic guides.

I never encountered a situation where I didn't find enough flint for the start in DS (neither RoG, nor SW, even tho I played them a lot of times), and it also isn't supposed to happen. Btw, 3 flints are already enough to make an axe and a pickaxe to get enough logs and further flints for the first days.

You should go further and explore biomes that aren't close to your spawn point. Walking on the road makes it pretty fast and you should see at least a few boulders, even if not full biomes with rocks, to get some more flint.

Also, it isn't necessary to find gold and rocks in the first few days, you can survive by eating the carrots, berries, butterflies that you find on your way, and in that time you can explore a huge part of the world.

Enough to make axe and so you can craft log raft + thatch pack. You clearly are the one lacking knowledge or just being lazy.

3 flint means you can craft axe and pickaxe. This means being able to craft some campfires and get more flint by usage of pickaxe. There is always small savanna biome with boulders close to place where you spawn. And also "starting biome" - flint, saplings, grass tufts, birchnut trees etc. I guess that's what you meant by grassland.

Again, this simply does not happen. @fimmatek gave pretty good tips.

I also noticed how you consider many things "waste of time". Replanting berry bushes, spider nests etc is an investment, you bring them closer so later you save time.
 You can't move rabbit holes and so you need to go there every time to harvest traps. How is this not a waste of time, I ask?

20 minutes ago, Maslak said:

Enough to make axe and so you can craft log raft + thatch pack. You clearly are the one lacking knowledge or just being lazy.

No, if you suddennly are attacked by snakes and try kill them. Lost my axe because of that. Game over.

22 minutes ago, Maslak said:

3 flint means you can craft axe and pickaxe. This means being able to craft some campfires and get more flint by usage of pickaxe. There is always small savanna biome with boulders close to place where you spawn. And also "starting biome" - flint, saplings, grass tufts, birchnut trees etc. I guess that's what you meant by grassland

You need a rocks for mining. No rocks - no mining. Saavy?

25 minutes ago, Maslak said:

Again, this simply does not happen. @fimmatek gave pretty good tips.

He give preaty rubbish from youtube, what is so obvious and totaly unsulfeull.

Continues...

I play wigfrid now. Start at spring and it's my 13 day for now. But still is a dancing at the edge, because almost all time raining cats and dogs. My sanitydrop as hell because of that and I can't copensate it fighting. I set base at forest biome, near spiders. I have some items, but the main problem is everything is going too fast. I literally don't have a time for anything except runing or fighting. Can't check my stuff in boxes, can't even coocking becasue those filthy Shadow Cratures try eat me all time.

Out of curiosity I checked vanilla and this seems to be a lot better balanced than RoG. It's too bad, because I do not want to opt out of additional content in RoG, but playing this is a pain in the ass if you don't start at Autumn. What is a only playable season what give you a chance to do anything. there is too many factos against player what happend at the same time or right after one by one. 

Vanilla is completly difference experience.

36 minutes ago, Maslak said:

I also noticed how you consider many things "waste of time". Replanting berry bushes, spider nests etc is an investment, you bring them closer so later you save time.

Of course, but there is so many things to do, and all of them need a lot of time. The time is a luxury goods which are always missing. Especialy in any season except autumn, and if you have crap world set and you had to a lot walking for get resources.

So, you need a find bushes, a dig them, and need a some rot or mesure to fetilize them. It's a waste of time if you can set traps by rabbits or take a ice.

41 minutes ago, Maslak said:

You can't move rabbit holes and so you need to go there every time to harvest traps. How is this not a waste of time, I ask?

That's why you want to set a base near rabit holes. Luckily rabit holes always are few on small area and that is the key. You set a few traps 6-8 should be enough, but if you want more, go ahead, nothing is waste.

Harvesting traps is realy simple and you don't had to do it constantly. You can go back there after some time and pick up meat, bcasue if you don't pick a rabbit, he goes to meat automaticaly.

9 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

That's why you want to set a base near rabit holes.

I'll pass.

9 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

You need a rocks for mining. No rocks - no mining. Saavy?

As I said, there are always some rocks in small savanna next to spawn area.

10 minutes ago, Wilkinson said:

No, if you suddennly are attacked by snakes and try kill them. Lost my axe because of that. Game over.

Snakes come out during dusk or when you step too close to their nest. Nests can be easily located.
If you start with just one flint then avoid getting in fights with snakes, it's that easy.

Maybe I'm a fool feeding troll. I hope so, actually. Because I don't want to believe there are people who can be THAT wrong.

Season start is random, but yeah, I've noticed that I tend to get Spring starts more often when playing RoG-specific characters. Coincidence or confirmation bias? I dunno. I do know the code says "random" though.

Seriously, just don't start in Spring, force an Autumn start. You can choose that in the world generation options before you start the game. Starting in Spring is like "hard mode" on an already hard setting. Some people like to do it for the added challenge, to really push themselves, but I don't. Nothing wrong with that! Klei gave us all these options so we can play how we want to play. 

2 hours ago, Wilkinson said:

I play wigfrid now. Start at spring and it's my 13 day for now. But still is a dancing at the edge, because almost all time raining cats and dogs. My sanitydrop as hell because of that and I can't copensate it fighting. I set base at forest biome, near spiders. I have some items, but the main problem is everything is going too fast. I literally don't have a time for anything except runing or fighting. Can't check my stuff in boxes, can't even coocking becasue those filthy Shadow Cratures try eat me all time.

These are all troubles that are caused because you start during spring. As the others also said (and even I as well), just set the starting season to autumn. You don't have to turn RoG off for an easier start, tho it's recommended to learn the game a bit easier. 

Archived