How I Lost My Favorite World

this world of mine was very special to me

it was a seed i liked to use over and over, cause of how close the oasis and a spider quarry were very useful for oasis-basing webbers, like me

the world i spawned in even had both berry bushes, and both sources of twigs. lucky me!

the first autumn was a very productive one, my oasis-quarry base was fantastic, i just loved that world so much

have some shots of my world that i saved long ago

5a8ea4d9caa3b_amazingboi.thumb.PNG.d138122392254489cb1d10237b9eca1e.PNG

friends.PNG.2245ad30fd867f901935fd2edf724bfe.PNG

skin.thumb.PNG.ce5c221387c1074df9217c4eae727f79.PNG

my first summer had fell upon my world just a few in-game days ago, and i thought to myself, "why not go to the ruins? its a good season for it"

so off i went to slaughter antlion, and successful was i after one death due to my stupidity of not bringing healing items the first time

i packed my things, preparing for the danger down below

it wasnt long until i was down in the caves, searching for the ruins, which i did find

found this set piece at the entrance of the ruins

20180219170240_1.thumb.jpg.ad4ea7ab064fcd12c9d27551f18164f3.jpg

days passed as i was down there, and boy was it surely was a successful ruins clearing

cleared about 2/3 of the ruins, cheesed the a.g., and had lots of ruins gear

20180220023611_1.thumb.jpg.bc02ebc9f07e794ceb661c83fb89aa6e.jpg

the rest of my stuff was with hutch and my science machine, at the entrance of the maze

i was leaving, and had to deal with a few monkeys attacking my poor hutch at the cave exit

after such a successful ruins clearing, i thought id take a 30 minute break to clear my mind from the craziness that just happened down there

i paused it with the global pause mod i subscribed to, and off i went to have my break

i came back, and the weirdest thing happened

i unpaused the game, and suddenly, it auto-saved and went into the loading screen

i was so confused since i never did any commands or touched the too many items mod, i thought either the world was regenerating or just rolling-back

the loading stopped, and it somewhat rolled-back? i was back where i was dealing with the 5 monkeys, but now there was x5 more of them

the weirdest part is that the world was on day 91, approximately 5 days after i dealed with those wretched shadow splumonkeys

i died due to shadow monkeys and a fistful of lag added to the mixture

this wasnt right, so i decided to cheat myself back to life, but the reset timer was still counting even as i was alive! i shouldve screenshotted this moment, but my worry for my world didnt make that thought cross my mind

i panicked, trying to rollback using the console and the too many items mod, but rolling-back didnt work

panicking intensifies, worried that i would lose my amazing progress, and so

i left the game

i rolled-back using the rollback tab in the server settings, and attempted to rejoin

but i couldnt

it wouldnt let me in

i even left it to attempt to load the world for a whole HOUR

it was useless

my world, my progress, all unloadable

i tried my backup, but my dumb self forgot to back-it-up properly, so it was no use

so what did i do? i gave up and deleted the world

and that's the story of how i lost my beloved world

i was planning to use my worldgenoverride.lua to bring that seed back, because of how much i loved it, but for some reason, after the over 10 times of trying to generate the seed, it wouldnt come back!

i was confused, and thought maybe i was placing the worldgenoverride.lua in the wrong place, because i couldnt remember where i put it last time

or maybe new updates caused the seed to change? i guess i'll never know

goodbye beloved world, hello sadness

Another tip: if you have hosted servers that are a bit older already and you want to keep them, it is worth to make a back-up of if. That way you can restore your world even after such a fatal error, losing minimal einvested time compared to the world age. If you bakced it up regularly, at least. 

Take it from someone who lost TWO previous favourite worlds (one on Day 612, the other on Day 340-something) just because a mod became incompatible when the Forge came in with its new programming...backups are important.

Well, technically that wouldn't've helped ME...but it can still help other people.

...Notorious

@Cyberboy2000

i only ever use global pause to make my game catch up when it starts lagging, and sometimes for a quick pause

from this i've learned that the second is a very bad idea

@fimmatek @CaptainChaotica

i mentioned in the story that i did create a backup, but i forgot to move the Master and Caves file too, so it was no use

half of the reason i lost my favorite world was cause of my own stupidity

Whoops, sorry. I didn't read through your whole post.

By the way, I usually copy the whole DoNotStarveTogether folder, this way all my worlds get safely backed up and I cannot forget any file. Also I had some issues earlier when I was moving single worlds, so since then I prefer to move all files there together. 

I hope you'll have better luck next time, and most importantly better backup ;)

Archived