Can anyone suggest a super cooler?

Hello Everyone,

I will keep this short and sweet I am looking for a design which can turn gasses into a liquid, preferably hydrogen, If someone know how to, without using any bugs, cheats, exploits, or questionable mechanics whether intended or otherwise.

I know that wheezeworts can liquefy and freeze Chlorine and Carbon Dioxide, but Ideally I want to liquefy my Hydrogen and Natural gas so I can store it in a more compressed state (I always have excess and I would rather store it for experimental purposes later)

If I can get liquid Hydrogen, I can use it in conjunction with an aquatuner to creature more Liquid Hydrogen.

My plan was to use thermo regulators cooled with water in a vacuum to chill Hydrogen to just below condensation point, after that I was either going to let it break the pipes and become liquid in the vacuum (Where it should retain its temperature if the walls are abyssalite) The water will be drained from the room before the last run of gas otherwise they would mix up and then the hydrogen would get hot again.

Edit - I am not looking for storage solutions for the gasses, I just want them to become a liquid for various purposes.

Can anyone think of a design that would work better of if they think this design will fail?

personally I would use a staged lox maker but put hydrogen in the cooling blast chamber and bring the entire temp just a few degrees above condensation.  Now the tricky part is the kick, you need something that can reach atleast 10 degrees below hydrogens transition point and drip that against a rail, idealy it would be liquid hydrogen being pumped through an aquatuner.  This mainly works to increase your storage capacity on an existing hydrogen liquifier.  As you run the pump inside the tube it is pulling the liquid out, dropping heat outside the system before returning the colder liquid to cool the gas below transistion point and add more liquid hydrogen to the system giving room for more gas above.  That being said, gas has no max limit and will not cause pressure damage to the structure it is stored in.  Liquids need atleast 3 walls thick to prevent pressure damage.

Unfortunately expansion does not cause rapid cooling in gases, I wish it did, but if it did then compression would heat them up, which it does't it only speeds up the combining of the heat values. 

11 minutes ago, Master Miner said:

Here's a simple way to liquefy natural gas:

image.thumb.png.d2ddfa7f20505373e532ad29f119b0e0.png

Since Occupation Upgrade I am pretty sure the Nullifier was nerfed to only function at -50 now IIRC

I seen your response in the other thread, so maybe it is working and it is just a few gas pockets causing it to be buggy

If you don't mind using exploits you also can use Overpresure by other ressource to Store Huge amounts of Gas/Liquids.
So if you put an other Gas/ Liquid than you want to store at the Gas/liquid Output the output will never Overpressure.

image.thumb.png.37879ff9a45bdd01845e2b16ae6c9bbf.png

(Liquid on the Bottom must be at least 2 tiles wide and between ~100g and ~1000g, would also work with c02, but it could be pumped out)

2 minutes ago, SuMaSLo said:

If you don't mind using exploits you also can use Overpresure by other ressource to Store Huge amounts of Gas/Liquids.
So if you put an other Gas/ Liquid than you want to store at the Gas/liquid Output the output will never Overpressure.

Sorry I should have said that I do not want to use exploits for gas or liquid.

5 hours ago, BlueLance said:

If I can get liquid Hydrogen, I can use it in conjunction with an aquatuner to creature more Liquid Hydrogen.

You cannot. Aquatuner cools everything by 14 K. Hydrogen is liquid between 14 and 21 K, that's less than 14 K difference. Even if you got some liquid hydrogen with regulator and broken output pipe, you would never be able to use it as coolant with aquatuner.

The best you can realistically get and use is liquid oxygen.

5 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

You cannot. Aquatuner cools everything by 14 K. Hydrogen is liquid between 14 and 21 K, that's less than 14 K difference. Even if you got some liquid hydrogen with regulator and broken output pipe, you would never be able to use it as coolant with aquatuner.

The best you can realistically get and use is liquid oxygen.

Liquid oxygen isn't a very good coolant though. Methane would probably be a better choice. But I realize that wasn't the point.

Anyway, I can confirm the above. I was able to get tiny amounts of liquid hydrogen by running hydrogen in a thermoregulator in a loop. The thermoregulator itself being in a vacuum. Whenever it got near breaking due to overheating I'd replace it. And in the end pipes broke and left a few grams of liquid hydrogen on the floor. However, it would be impossible to collect it and use it for anything as trying to mop it by alt-Q'ing in a dupe instantly vapourized it. 

Archived