Comic Script W.I.P. Don't Starve

Comic script:

Prologue: The Final Act

Subs: (Showing a poster of an advertisement for “The Amazing Maxwell!” and one of his shows)

Once,A long time ago. There was a man known as Maxwell who traveled across the world with his assistant and wife, Charlie. Maxwell had performed his amazing magic tricks with the shadows without ever realizing what he was doing. However though, during one of their shows… everything was going as usual; Maxwell constantly leaving the crowd bewildered and thrilled trick after trick.

Maxwell: (Showing Maxwell raising a shadow hand with the gesture of his hand) Okay! I’ve had my fun there, but now it is time we perform the final act of tonight’s show!

Charlie: (Charlie walks over to Maxwell and asks him the following quietly) *Shall I pull out the book we planned on using?*

Maxwell: (Replies quietly) *Please, thank you Charles.*

Maxwell: (Goes back into performing voice) And now, for the final act! For our final performance of the night, I am going to pull shadows incarnate from this mysterious tome!

(Charlie holds the book facing towards Maxwell while he puts his hand in the book)

Maxwell: (hears whispers of “them” saying: no more no more. Sides of box are darkened.)

Maxwell: (He begins to pull something out of the tome. In the next box he is grabbed by a shadow hand)

Maxwell: (Is pulled onto his hands and knees by the hand as it grabs it head and tries to drag him in)

Charlie: (Has been and still is frozen with fear)

Maxwell: (The shadow hand lets go and hides in the book.)

Charlie: (Runs to his aid)

Maxwell: (Looks up at her but the book suddenly opens by itself and pages turn but suddenly stop)

(The shadow hands fly out of the book and snatch Charlie and Maxwell and flies around rapidly in random directions before the ceiling collapses.)

(Show Magazine saying: HUNDREDS DEAD AT MAXWELL’S SHOW! CHARLIE AND MAXWELL NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!)

Chapter 1: The beginning of the end

Subs: (Show Wilson’s house.) It has been 95 years since then, it happened in 1906 and it is now the year of 2001, 95 memorials held once a year for all those who had died that night… including Maxwell and his beloved Charlie...

Wilson: (Show wilson pouring the hydrogen from the small test tube to the larger container) Just a little bit more of hydrogen with the oxygen…

(Next box is completely covered with smoke from the explosion with large text saying: POOF!)

Wilson: (Wilson face palming) Crap! I forgot to lower the gosh darn temperatures of the two!

Wilson: (flops on chair in frustration)

Maxwell: Hey pal, looks like you’re having some trouble! I have secret knowledge I can share with you. Think you are ready for it?

Wilson: (Is listening to his radio and gets excited, he nods his head eagerly)

Maxwell: Okay then!

(Craftable items float around him as Wilson learns the secrets,)

Wilson: I’ve got an idea! ( Remember as he lists each item, show it in the box) Two lab rats, multiple nails, a hammer, paint, lightbulbs, blacksmith mask, and a drop of blood.

Maxwell: (Wilson is facing towards Maxwell’s door) Excellent! Now throw the switch. (Wilson hesitates for a second) DO IT!

Wilson: (Mocks Maxwell’s words but pulls the lever anyway)

Maxwell: HA HA HA HA HA HA! YOU STUPID FOOL!

(Shadow hands appear and grab Wilson, dragging him down)

Wilson: (awakes in a grass field by a birch tree forest.) Argh… my head….

Maxwell: (Maxwell appears) Say pal, you don’t look so good. You better find some food before night comes!

Wilson: (Reaches out confused and unaware the speaking box was him) Wait! What happened?! Where is my home!? Wait! Are you The amazing Maxwell from the shows? What happened?! Wait no hold on! Please don’t…..leave…….. I’m so….confused..

Wilson: (Gets up) I might as well do what he said, he is the amazing Maxwell after all, I think…

(Plucks grass, picks up flint and rocks, gathers twigs/sticks, makes axe, chops down trees, hunts rabbits.)

(Wilson pulls out the last live rabbit)

Wilson: Aww, no I can’t... come here bud (Wilson pats on his lap and the rabbit jumps in his lap). Ummm.. aha! (pulls out a carrot from pocket) Here you go. (rabbit eats the carrot in his lap while Wilson strokes it) I’m going to name you… Zen. I might as well have someone to live with. Who knows what will happen to m-(Zen is looking up as if he was clearing his throat and expecting something) Sorry… us is what I meant to say.

Wilson: (Wilson looks up into the sky) Well, let me get the fire going. (Makes campfire) Zen, how and why is your fur black and white? It’s so… odd…. Anyway… I’m going to cook some food. Here, I will make a quick little bed for you. (Fluffs and shapes cut grass into a bed-like structure and Zen hops in and get comfy. Wilson smiles at this.)

(Something dashes by and makes Wilson feel uneasy, especially the fact that he knew it wasn’t in his head; Zen had perked his ears at it as well.)

Wilson: Hold on, aha! Flowers, flowers, flowers…. (Makes a flower crown) Here buddy… (Makes a smaller version of a flower crown for Zen)

(Zen gets up and leans back in a threatening pose of some sorts)

Wilson: Zen come back, we don’t know what that is-

(Wilson is cut off by growling, snarling, snapping, and barking. Zen makes a awful and terrifying sound: (Make hyperbole saying, Huuuuuuuuuuaahhhh)

(Zen turns into a monstrous beast, turning all out black, his eyes turned to a solid blue but then to solid red, his tail stretched out into a furry tentacle shape without spots nor spikes with a raindrop-shaped poof of fluff at the end, grew massively larger; just barely smaller than a hound, his nails grew into long and sharp claws, and his teeth turned sharp and scary.)

Wilson:Z-ZEN?!

Zen: (Lets out a piercing shrill, exposing his teeth and still facing the direction of the creature)

(Hounds lunge out the dark at Wilson, Zen grabs them and throw them away. One slams into Zen and hits his chest hard. Zen lets out a cough)

Zen: Oh you just don’t know when it’s best flee huh? (Zen kicks his opponent and grabs him by the neck. Zen tosses the hound at the others, and they all go whimpering away.)

Zen: (Snorts and turns back to Wilson, his eyes going back to solid blue)

Wilson: (Flinches and pulls away) Since when c-could you-u do that?! And why can you talk!?

Zen: The world brings many questions and many will never be answered. Luckily for you I can easily answer those questions and not waste precious time. I was born as a plain and solid white rabbit. The reason you do not see many different colored rabbits other than white and brown is because any other color is considered a bad omen and will cause the warren misery or even for the warren to completely die out. Therefore different rabbits are sent away to die or never return.

• Like 2

Comic script:

Prologue: The Final Act

Subs: (Showing a poster of an advertisement for “The Amazing Maxwell!” and one of his shows)

Once,A long time ago. There was a man known as Maxwell who traveled across the world with his assistant and wife, Charlie. Maxwell had performed his amazing magic tricks with the shadows without ever realizing what he was doing. However though, during one of their shows… everything was going as usual; Maxwell constantly leaving the crowd bewildered and thrilled trick after trick.

Maxwell: (Showing Maxwell raising a shadow hand with the gesture of his hand) Okay! I’ve had my fun there, but now it is time we perform the final act of tonight’s show!

Charlie: (Charlie walks over to Maxwell and asks him the following quietly) *Shall I pull out the book we planned on using?*

Maxwell: (Replies quietly) *Please, thank you Charles.*

Maxwell: (Goes back into performing voice) And now, for the final act! For our final performance of the night, I am going to pull shadows incarnate from this mysterious tome!

(Charlie holds the book facing towards Maxwell while he puts his hand in the book)

Maxwell: (hears whispers of “them” saying: no more no more. Sides of box are darkened.)

Maxwell: (He begins to pull something out of the tome. In the next box he is grabbed by a shadow hand)

Maxwell: (Is pulled onto his hands and knees by the hand as it grabs it head and tries to drag him in)

Charlie: (Has been and still is frozen with fear)

Maxwell: (The shadow hand lets go and hides in the book.)

Charlie: (Runs to his aid)

Maxwell: (Looks up at her but the book suddenly opens by itself and pages turn but suddenly stop)

(The shadow hands fly out of the book and snatch Charlie and Maxwell and flies around rapidly in random directions before the ceiling collapses.)

(Show Magazine saying: HUNDREDS DEAD AT MAXWELL’S SHOW! CHARLIE AND MAXWELL NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!)

Chapter 1: The beginning of the end

Subs: (Show Wilson’s house.) It has been 95 years since then, it happened in 1906 and it is now the year of 2001, 95 memorials held once a year for all those who had died that night… including Maxwell and his beloved Charlie...

Wilson: (Show wilson pouring the hydrogen from the small test tube to the larger container) Just a little bit more of hydrogen with the oxygen…

(Next box is completely covered with smoke from the explosion with large text saying: POOF!)

Wilson: (Wilson face palming) Crap! I forgot to lower the gosh darn temperatures of the two!

Wilson: (flops on chair in frustration)

Maxwell: Hey pal, looks like you’re having some trouble! I have secret knowledge I can share with you. Think you are ready for it?

Wilson: (Is listening to his radio and gets excited, he nods his head eagerly)

Maxwell: Okay then!

(Craftable items float around him as Wilson learns the secrets,)

Wilson: I’ve got an idea! ( Remember as he lists each item, show it in the box) Two lab rats, multiple nails, a hammer, paint, lightbulbs, blacksmith mask, and a drop of blood.

Maxwell: (Wilson is facing towards Maxwell’s door) Excellent! Now throw the switch. (Wilson hesitates for a second) DO IT!

Wilson: (Mocks Maxwell’s words but pulls the lever anyway)

Maxwell: HA HA HA HA HA HA! YOU STUPID FOOL!

(Shadow hands appear and grab Wilson, dragging him down)

Wilson: (awakes in a grass field by a birch tree forest.) Argh… my head….

Maxwell: (Maxwell appears) Say pal, you don’t look so good. You better find some food before night comes!

Wilson: (Reaches out confused and unaware the speaking box was him) Wait! What happened?! Where is my home!? Wait! Are you The amazing Maxwell from the shows? What happened?! Wait no hold on! Please don’t…..leave…….. I’m so….confused..

Wilson: (Gets up) I might as well do what he said, he is the amazing Maxwell after all, I think…

(Plucks grass, picks up flint and rocks, gathers twigs/sticks, makes axe, chops down trees, hunts rabbits.)

(Wilson pulls out the last live rabbit)

Wilson: Aww, no I can’t... come here bud (Wilson pats on his lap and the rabbit jumps in his lap). Ummm.. aha! (pulls out a carrot from pocket) Here you go. (rabbit eats the carrot in his lap while Wilson strokes it) I’m going to name you… Zen. I might as well have someone to live with. Who knows what will happen to m-(Zen is looking up as if he was clearing his throat and expecting something) Sorry… us is what I meant to say.

Wilson: (Wilson looks up into the sky) Well, let me get the fire going. (Makes campfire) Zen, how and why is your fur black and white? It’s so… odd…. Anyway… I’m going to cook some food. Here, I will make a quick little bed for you. (Fluffs and shapes cut grass into a bed-like structure and Zen hops in and get comfy. Wilson smiles at this.)

(Something dashes by and makes Wilson feel uneasy, especially the fact that he knew it wasn’t in his head; Zen had perked his ears at it as well.)

Wilson: Hold on, aha! Flowers, flowers, flowers…. (Makes a flower crown) Here buddy… (Makes a smaller version of a flower crown for Zen)

(Zen gets up and leans back in a threatening pose of some sorts)

Wilson: Zen come back, we don’t know what that is-

(Wilson is cut off by growling, snarling, snapping, and barking. Zen makes a awful and terrifying sound: (Make hyperbole saying, Huuuuuuuuuuaahhhh)

(Zen turns into a monstrous beast, turning all out black, his eyes turned to a solid blue but then to solid red, his tail stretched out into a furry tentacle shape without spots nor spikes with a raindrop-shaped poof of fluff at the end, grew massively larger; just barely smaller than a hound, his nails grew into long and sharp claws, and his teeth turned sharp and scary.)

Wilson:Z-ZEN?!

Zen: (Lets out a piercing shrill, exposing his teeth and still facing the direction of the creature)

(Hounds lunge out the dark at Wilson, Zen grabs them and throw them away. One slams into Zen and hits his chest hard. Zen lets out a cough)

Zen: Oh you just don’t know when it’s best flee huh? (Zen kicks his opponent and grabs him by the neck. Zen tosses the hound at the others, and they all go whimpering away.)

Zen: (Snorts and turns back to Wilson, his eyes going back to solid blue)

Wilson: (Flinches and pulls away) Since when c-could you-u do that?! And why can you talk!?

Zen: The world brings many questions and many will never be answered. Luckily for you I can easily answer those questions and not waste precious time. I was born as a plain and solid white rabbit. The reason you do not see many different colored rabbits other than white and brown is because any other color is considered a bad omen and will cause the warren misery or even for the warren to completely die out. Therefore different rabbits are sent away at the age of 3 to die or never return. While I was searching for food and a good place to dig a den, I came across something that looked like a miner camp. But what drew my attention was an odd wooden triangle. Shadows loomed over and around it, weaving themselves with the triangle. I came forward and touched it. My paw was stuck and the weaving shadows bolted into me, giving me my black spots and my abilities that are unnatural for a rabbit. Mainly from what I noticed, whenever I feel threatened or feel as if one other is being threatened this happens.

Wilson: I am going to have to try to remember that for some possible future studies…

(Wilson stops for a second and rethinks about what Zen had spoken about and gains a smug look on his face)

Wilson: Wait...what did you mean when you said one other?

Zen: (Looks away and down some) I meant it as when you care about someone….

Wilson: Sorry I couldn’t hear you… say again without the mumbling please.

Zen: I said I meant it as when you care about someone.………

Wilson: I beg your pardon?

Zen: I SAID I MEANT AS WHEN YOU CARE ABOUT SOMEONE!!! (Zen’s face is rose red in embarrassment)

(Wilson laughs his head off while Zen sits there all pouty and grumpy. Soon goes back to his normal form as a rabbit/jackalope still sitting with a pouty face)

Wilson: Aww don’t be like that! I’m just teasing you ya know-

Zen: I’m fully aware but just because your teasing doesn’t mean I appreciate it. Come on, it is bright enough to wander without a light source without…(Wilson gave a confused face, seeming as if he was about to ask why they couldn’t wander at night without any source of light.) okay basically it is safe to continue.

Wilson: Without what though?

Zen: You don’t want to know...

Wilson: Well I’m asking so clearly I do want to kn-

Zen: I said you don’t want to know!

Wilson: Zen it is very discourteous of you to keep secrets from me and being impolite is not being a gentleman which will help you very much if you so happen to decide to settle down later on in your life. As well as I refuse to feed and care for an ill-mannered lagomorph!

Zen: What made you get so deep with that? And, fine. I will tell you, it is Charlie. As I understand you are likely a scientist because of all the scents of chemicals in your clothes, I shall not tell you anymore than her name for both your and my safety. Do you understand?

Wilson: Yes, sorry Zen. I guess I did get carried away and got a little rude myself…

Zen:  (constantly grooms himself)

Wilson: Why are you grooming yourself so much?

Zen: No reason at all.

Wilson: (Picks him up and in an instant his neutral face went to panicked) ZEN WHAT DID YOU DO!?!

Zen: Do what?!

Wilson: WHAT FREAKING HAPPENED TO YOUR LEG!!?

Zen: Oh, the price of magic of course. Each time I become that creature, when I return to my normal form I receive a wound as a cost of using magic.

Wilson: HOW CAN YOU BE SO CALM!? We need to get you something to heal Zen! Do you not realize how easily that will get infected?! If only we still at my house I could’ve managed to try and figure it out… what are we going to do Zen?

Zen: Let’s ignore it for now okay? If we are to teach that snot-nosed Maxwell anything we ought to get some food.

Wilson: The Amazing Maxwell? He isn’t ill-mannered! What are you talking about Zen?

Zen: HAHAHAHA!!! Heh heh...ohhh... you’re kidding me right? You’ve got to be.

Wilson: No I’m not kidding actually…

Zen: You’re not…? *sigh* (imitates maxwell’s voice) Say pal, Looks like your having some trouble! Ring a bell?

Wilson: That was Maxwell?!

Zen: Yup… that was him all right…

Wilson: Wait… how do you even know that happened?

Zen: (gives a what do you think look but then remembered he was new to this type of Maxwell) You don’t think a stuck up and self absorbed jerk isn’t going to go ranting and bragging about everything he does?

Wilson: Oh… right… how can he transport let alone go back and forth between dimensions? There are so many possible chemicals thats could be released and possibly kill someone-

Zen: Wilson I don't know diddly squat about what you are speaking of.

Wilson: (gets a small look of disappointment… clearly missing his lab and shuts up)

Wilson: (His eyes start to form tiny tears, the following is thoughts… NOT speech) I am never getting out of here… I’m going to be stuck here for the rest of my life… I am going to die here and never see my family and friends again… (Wilson tries to fight back the tears some though it was clear he was losing to his own saddening realization)

Zen: (looks up at Wilson) Hey you doing alright? You are a lot more quiet than usual- (Zen sees him tearing up) Wilson what’s wrong?

(No reply as Wilson looks away and hides his face)

Zen: Wilson sit down (Wilson does as told, hugging his knees and burning his face in his arms) … come on buddy… we are going to survive…

Wilson: (Sniffles and looks at Zen)

Zen: I promise… come on. (Looks around and sees no danger and plenty of berry bushes) Cry it out, I will not be astraying far I promise…

Wilson: (He finally allows himself to cry)

Zen: (Is collecting berries by shaking the “branches” and rolling the berries onto a leaf to drag over to his mourning partner)

Zen: Its going to be okay….

Please remember this is incomplete but will be updated when new content is added to the story for the comic. This may or may not be the reason that the story is at a cliffhanger, sudden and bad stops, has errors, or anything else of the sort. Thank you.

Edited by ThatoneDSfan
Updating

53 minutes ago, minespatch said:

If I do this, how long do you expect storyboards?

Would you mind spoilering your quotation on your second post?

I didn't actually expect someone to ask this... at first I was going to draw the comic but I am not too good At digital Don't Starve art yet decent on paper. This was supposed to be a release saying that I'm making one. I haven't ever actually made a real/official comic before. So I may be a pain to deal with. Also my quotation was saying it is incomplete as in the entire story... but if you really want to do it I won't stop you. If you are wanting to then honestly take as much time as you like for a storyboard. And once again, I am very highly likely going to be a pain to work with. Plus I don't even really quite know how this works because then again, I have never really wrote a real comic. I won't be offended whatsoever if you don't wish to do this.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2018 at 5:28 PM, ThatoneDSfan said:

Digital or paper? Oh heck with it I'll send both.

Here is a digital example from my old as crap DA acount: 

Wilson by dakotazacherlI have uploaded about two or three things that are actually recent activity... everything else on my DA account is so old it is painful to look at.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, minespatch said:

@ImDaMisterL, mind moving this thread to art and lore?

I like it! Rough around the edges but fits the theme you were going for.

Well I did say that I was better with DS art on paper than doing it digitally.... so yea...

21 hours ago, minespatch said:

@ImDaMisterL, mind moving this thread to art and lore?

I like it! Rough around the edges but fits the theme you were going for.

Also it kinda already is lore, well... it is heavily based off of the Don't Starve lore. Such as Maxwell's past as William carter (this will appear in the future), how each character got trapped and what they are going through. And when people die.... BE PREPARED! It is gonna have a lot of gory details and may be uncomfortable to draw so yeah... that's that...

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 8:02 PM, ThatoneDSfan said:

Well I did say that I was better with DS art on paper than doing it digitally.... so yea...

Also it kinda already is lore, well... it is heavily based off of the Don't Starve lore. Such as Maxwell's past as William carter (this will appear in the future), how each character got trapped and what they are going through. And when people die.... BE PREPARED! It is gonna have a lot of gory details and may be uncomfortable to draw so yeah... that's that...

This was a thing I did for Valentines day. Didn't finish sadly and I had not drawn a pigman before drawing that so it isn't quite too good but it was the only paper DS art that my phone would actually save to google photos so I could transfer it (For some odd reason my computer won't take photos even though it has a camera) 

happy_valentine_s_day__by_dakotazacherl-dc371td.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/20/2018 at 11:39 PM, minespatch said:

Wilson must be feeling like a bobblehead the way his head is angled.

Yeah but it is supposed to be that awkward lean away that I tend to do myself a lot. I mainly do it when someone's head is really close to mine or they are taller than me so since pigmen have the hunched back I got the idea from that.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:28 PM, ImDaMisterL said:

Moved! Good luck with your comic :)

thanks!

• Like 1