Using spools to weave elegant non event skins?

I think we should be able to use spools to weave non-event elegants like head skins and items skins, that way, it would be possible to obtain skins without bizarre steam market prices or extremely rare drop chances.

Even worse, a big chunk of the game's playerbase, China, doesn't even even have access to the Steam market.

16 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Yeah? So? I never really liked that market anyway.

doesn't mean other people don't like it.

plus some of the money from every market purchase goes directly to klei, so in a way, the market supports klei.

31 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

doesn't mean other people don't like it.

I think the steam market crashing is a fair price to pay for accessibility. It's almost impossible to get a skin you actually want through normal gameplay. At least with the spools system all the commons and duplicate skins could be used to save up for a specific skin that you want.

Besides, the market could still co-exist with the spools system if the Trade Inn is left in the game. It would also provide a way for people to purchase spools as well by buying some skins to unravel. The prices would even out based on a skin's rarity, but I see that as a good thing.

34 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

plus some of the money from every market purchase goes directly to klei, so in a way, the market supports klei.

There's an argument for both sides, but without seeing the actual profits from the market and from event skin sales, it's nothing but speculation.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I think the steam market crashing is a fair price to pay for accessibility.

but then the skins arent special anymore. theyll be so common that people will just go "eh" whenever they see em. as of now people definitely take note when they see you in a cool GoH skin.

8 hours ago, Starlogy said:

but then the skins arent special anymore. theyll be so common that people will just go "eh" whenever they see em.

It takes 1350 spools to weave an elegant. Let's be generous and say that, for better or for worse, you only get 4 classy items a week. You can unravel those for 15 spools each, so that's 60 a week. It would take 22 and a half weeks (approximately 5 and a half months) to get enough spools to weave a single elegant. And that was just being generous. A more realistic outcome would be 3 commons and 1 classy a week (that's 30 spools a week by the way). So no, they would not become common enough for people to go "eh" when they see them. You would need to invest a significant amount of time into the game to get one. Or, you just just buy it. Like how it currently works.

8 hours ago, Starlogy said:

as of now people definitely take note when they see you in a cool GoH skin.

Yeah, they take note of how you bought the skin. Because the chances of actually getting an elegant skin for a character you main is next to nothing. Of the entire time that skins have been out, I've only gotten one character skin from a normal drop. And the skins have been around for what, a couple years now? Yeah, the odds really aren't that great. Currently the skin system exists a pay to win look dapper system.

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:
14 hours ago, Starlogy said:

as of now people definitely take note when they see you in a cool GoH skin.

Yeah, they take note of how you bought the skin. Because the chances of actually getting an elegant skin for a character you main is next to nothing. Of the entire time that skins have been out, I've only gotten one character skin from a normal drop. And the skins have been around for what, a couple years now? Yeah, the odds really aren't that great. Currently the skin system exists a pay to win look dapper system.

Here I must agree with both of you. I don't want to see the elegant skins to get too "common", but there should be sure way to get slowly one skin someone desires. Like how we can weave some of the elegants with the spool system.

5 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It takes 1350 spools to weave an elegant. [...]

I did a quick maths with my skin drops and the results showed that I got 73,5 Spools every week in average, or 57 not counting elegant drops. Assuming that someone doesn't want to unravel their first elegant because they like it enough, your weekly 60 spools approximation looks quite realistic.

So with purely the skins received in-game, one should play a half year to get an elegant... In my opinion, a whole 6 month dedicated playing should be enough to "deserve" one specific skin.

On the other hand thou, if Klei allowed us to weave every skin, most people would just buy 9 distinguished (let's say 1,5€) or 3 of the cheapest elegants (it would cost 1,5€ again, currently), untill all of these items' prices launch and reach the "actual value" of their tier. And at the same time, the most expensive skins' prices would drop.

Now, I'm pretty sure Klei will not do this, but I'm honestly curious how much would these skins cost if the spool system were extended to every skin.

8 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Now, I'm pretty sure Klei will not do this, but I'm honestly curious how much would these skins cost if the spool system were extended to every skin.

The OP of this thread has some useful info (unfortunately the rest of the thread devolved into a mess).

They only calculate the value of the elegant, but you could likely use the same method to find out the approximate value of each skin tier. Although I'm sure there would likely be a little bit of fluctuation in the steam market, but in theory it should give you a close approximation of their value.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:30 PM, Thieverpedia said:

This would allow more supply to feed the demand.

But why would you make a skin just to sell it? Why not just make the skin you want if this were added?

The main reason I believe this thread was made was because of the Rose skins being so expensive right now. They're gonna drop in price a month or so from now, I'd chill out about it.

If you need proof, just look at how expensive Winona's skins were when she was added. And now look at them. you can get her triumphant for like 2$

So just be patient. It'll be rewarded.

I don't really like the idea,because having a skin would not really matter,because everybody would eventually get it.

And If You got the skin in the past, You really feel lucky,and that You deserve it.

If the idea of skin would end up in-game, in arond 3 months everybody would have it,so having it or not wouldn't make any difference.

And as @Starlogy said,the price of any skin would go down to 2 Dollars or Euros or lower.

5 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I don't really like the idea,because having a skin would not really matter,because everybody would eventually get it.

Ok, and...? How would this be a bad thing? Is it because you would no longer feel like a special snowflake anymore?

And If You got the skin in the past, You really feel lucky,and that You deserve it.

I'd prefer a system that rewards dedication instead of blind luck.

If the idea of skin would end up in-game, in arond 3 months everybody would have it,so having it or not wouldn't make any difference.

I did a rough estimation of how long it would take to get a single elegant. It would take approximately 5 and a half months for one elegant. That's just shy of half a year. I doubt they'll become so common that they become worthless.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:47 AM, webbermain252 said:

I think we should be able to use spools to weave non-event elegants like head skins and items skins, that way, it would be possible to obtain skins without bizarre steam market prices or extremely rare drop chances.

Even worse, a big chunk of the game's playerbase, China, doesn't even even have access to the Steam market.

I agree, it would balance the fact of a lack of a store on PS too. Especially the fact that all my drops in the last week are just common items, seems there should be a way to make up for it. Not everyone can play all the time. 

Archived