Reign of Giants should be patched into the Vanilla game for free.

We can hope Hamlet will address those compability issues, yeah. In hindsight the developers might have dont things a wee bit differntly, if allowed to speculate. Without Reign of Giant or the success of Don't Starve there is little reason to believe to Shipwrecked would have been released. Then you might as well argue that Reign of Giants should be discarded altogether since most of its content is in Shipwrecked. No reason to maintain two DLC's while one of them includes the contents of the first one. That would make more sense than to make the first one free.

Just now, Xedlord said:

I thought they both had a part in making it(?).

Surely! I'm speculating a bit. Sorry for that. I have no idea how much Klei and Capybara Games did on Shipwrecked, respectively.

1 minute ago, Captain_Rage said:

We can hope Hamlet will address those compability issues, yeah. In hindsight the developers might have dont things a wee bit differntly, if allowed to speculate. Without Reign of Giant or the success of Don't Starve there is little reason to believe to Shipwrecked would have been released. Then you might as well argue that Reign of Giants should be discarded altogether since most of its content is in Shipwrecked. No reason to maintain two DLC's while one of them includes the contents of the first one. That would make more sense than to make the first one free.

Surely! I'm speculating a bit. Sorry for that. I have no idea how much Klei and Capybara Games did on Shipwrecked, respectively.

Hamlet can't address them, nor is it fair to make people buy SW for such an easily resolved thing (implementing RoG)

In what world does discarding RoG make sense due to SW containing the majority of it's content? - That's another reason to include it, then it's just Vanilla content instead of lazy asset reusing, lol.

ROG is getting no sales now, it's so old, the simplest choice is to just implement it already.

I meant that Don't Starve would get an overhaul or tweak in regards to its DLC's when Hamlet is released, not that one would have to have Hamlet installed in order to remedy the compatibility issues.

It was you that pointed out that Reign of Giants and Shipwrecked don't play along well and that Shipwrecked contains the assets of Reign of Giants. Then it wouldn't make much sense to keep Reign of Giants around, if it's broken and redundant.

My opinion was that it makes more sense to have Shipwrecked and Reign of Giants as paid DLC's, given how they were released and how their development occurred. True enough, Reign of Giants can't possible generate any palpable revenue at this point. It wouldn't make too much sense to release it for free though, especially with Hamlet in the works. It wouldn't be worth the effort, even if it was a small change. If people still wanted to play it they would pay the meager price to do so. If people didn't want to play it, it wouldn't make any difference to release it for free. If people who bought it long ago still played it, they would only raise an eyebrow to why it was suddenly free.

I don't have anything else to add. The rest eludes me. The only thing that would make sense in making Reign of Giants free would be if was required in order to play Hamlet.

5 hours ago, IzzyXD said:

This has happened in DST, why not DS? - With the release of Hamlet approaching, there's already so many bugs caused as a result of SW and ROG compatibility, as well as SW containing a bunch of ROG items and mechanics anyhow, which negates the entire point of buying RoG.

I propose that it could be swapped so there's SW & Hamlet boxes to tick, which toggle compatibility. You could then have a World Selector below this, above World options. In World options you could disable ROG if necessary on the Constant world.

The Mini Monument gained from ROG would thus become Timeless, and a Loyal version could be obtained via using the normal Don't Starve CD Key, which right now has no use in DST. (Anyone who owns the ROG DLC and does not have it would be able to use their key at any time for a Timeless.)

In this sense, it resolves a lot of issues, sets up for Hamlet, and doesn't cause any issues with the Loyal/Timeless Mini Monument.

As well as the fact the 5th Anniversary of DS is coming up (23 April) and 4th Anniversary of ROG (30 April) - It's been 4 years, anyone that's going to buy it already has.

If you feel you got "scammed" for buying it, perhaps they could offer a small Hamlet discount for owners of ROG somehow, but it may be difficult to balance with the Megapack's discount (likely owning everything except Hamlet would still make it cheaper than the Loyalty discount/Early Access discount too)

The community wouldn't be very pleased with this even if most people wouldn't care. I for one could care less if they merged RoG and the base game at all but I can understand the sentiments of a large chunk of people who wouldn't be too pleased with this. I'd say a discount for Hamlet would certainly, help, but a lot of people would still be unhappy. It's a difficult subject to say the least.

The thing is I can understand the arguments for either side in this situation but realistically I'd recommend Klei does the safe thing and continue with the same system, simply because it works even if it could be streamlined.

RoG is in DST for free, so it is completely justifyable that RoG in DS is free. (That's basically the argument stated)

So I will answer your question with a question:

Does that mean that the people that paid $5.00 recieved litterally nothing?

If the system works, and the majority of players are suitable with the system, keep the system.

Just save up 5 bucks man, it's not that hard.

1 hour ago, Master Jand said:

RoG is in DST for free, so it is completely justifyable that RoG in DS is free. (That's basically the argument stated)

So I will answer your question with a question:

Does that mean that the people that paid $5.00 recieved litterally nothing?

If the system works, and the majority of players are suitable with the system, keep the system.

Just save up 5 bucks man, it's not that hard.

Funny, but I own ROG. This is to fix the game, not get it free. Get off your high horse.

I've said multiple times, they get their Timeless skin & a discount on Hamlet or SW. That's ALL they need.

i mean, i'm speaking for a minority that i'm not even a part of, but there are some people who don't want ROG at all on DS. they want whole, 100% vanilla with the crockpots and drying racks keeping food fresh and 2 seasons, less complicated mechanics, some people just like the vanilla release and you have to consider that when you think of merging the two.

and i honestly wouldnt be too pleased knowing i spent money on something that was going to end up being free (even though, like @Master Jand said, it's like 5 bucks).

now, if it remained the same way and youd have to tick ROG to enable it, then i wouldnt be too upset. but just straight up merging it would lose those few people who like it vanilla.

17 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

i mean, i'm speaking for a minority that i'm not even a part of, but there are some people who don't want ROG at all on DS. they want whole, 100% vanilla with the crockpots and drying racks keeping food fresh and 2 seasons, less complicated mechanics, some people just like the vanilla release and you have to consider that when you think of merging the two.

and i honestly wouldnt be too pleased knowing i spent money on something that was going to end up being free (even though, like @Master Jand said, it's like 5 bucks).

now, if it remained the same way and youd have to tick ROG to enable it, then i wouldnt be too upset. but just straight up merging it would lose those few people who like it vanilla.

As I have already explained, it could be disabled exactly the same as how it can in DST. It's really not rocket science.

Having friends who have bought the complete pack for DS, I know that this wouldn't be a fantastic idea. If you just up and give players RoG, they feel pressured to use it for how much it seems to add, not really accounting for the burst of extra difficulty that eats up new players and spits them out alive. It's also why a lot of people that have no former experience get turned off if they just start by playing DST.

Plus, I payed good money for RoG and already kind of bummed I just got a firepit instead of the giant backpacks that got cancelled.

2 hours ago, IzzyXD said:

As I have already explained, it could be disabled exactly the same as how it can in DST. It's really not rocket science.

Yeah but even so, disabling RoG in DST still keeps a bunch of the content in. Including but not limited to characters, worldgen items such as Birchnut trees, mechanics such as rain/overheating/crockpot and drying rack spoilage, and every single RoG craftable (I don't need a fashion melon in the dead of winter). So RoG can't exactly be disabled completely, if at all in DST because of how built-in it is. These bugs would probably still linger if RoG were to be hardcoded into singleplayer, which a bunch of players would not like. So if anything, Klei should fix those bugs first before RoG integration becomes a viable option. 

Shouldn't this thread be in the Don't Starve general discussion section of the forum? This game (DST) has already had the ROG content patched into the game (for free!) so I was confused when I saw this thread title requesting the ROG content be added to the game when it already has been added.

4 hours ago, Chris1488 said:

Yeah but even so, disabling RoG in DST still keeps a bunch of the content in. Including but not limited to characters, worldgen items such as Birchnut trees, mechanics such as rain/overheating/crockpot and drying rack spoilage, and every single RoG craftable (I don't need a fashion melon in the dead of winter). So RoG can't exactly be disabled completely, if at all in DST because of how built-in it is. These bugs would probably still linger if RoG were to be hardcoded into singleplayer, which a bunch of players would not like. So if anything, Klei should fix those bugs first before RoG integration becomes a viable option. 

Craftables aren't an issue - the rest is just laziness on Klei's part.

5 hours ago, Auth said:

Having friends who have bought the complete pack for DS, I know that this wouldn't be a fantastic idea. If you just up and give players RoG, they feel pressured to use it for how much it seems to add, not really accounting for the burst of extra difficulty that eats up new players and spits them out alive. It's also why a lot of people that have no former experience get turned off if they just start by playing DST.

Plus, I payed good money for RoG and already kind of bummed I just got a firepit instead of the giant backpacks that got cancelled.

Burst of new difficulty? ROG is a joke. And Vanilla is so easy. DS has "unforgiving survival game" in it's description yet has nothing unforgiving about it. I say good to any difficulty.

35 minutes ago, IzzyXD said:

Burst of new difficulty? ROG is a joke. And Vanilla is so easy. DS has "unforgiving survival game" in it's description yet has nothing unforgiving about it. I say good to any difficulty.

Something tells me you’ve never had to explain Don’t Starve to people that aren’t well acquainted with it/similar games. I’ve had so many people message me because summer or some other mechanic in RoG kicked their buyt to the moon and back it’s not even funny.

Well maybe a little funny. But still, you get the point.

1 hour ago, Auth said:

Something tells me you’ve never had to explain Don’t Starve to people that aren’t well acquainted with it/similar games. I’ve had so many people message me because summer or some other mechanic in RoG kicked their buyt to the moon and back it’s not even funny.

Well maybe a little funny. But still, you get the point.

Well, if it's meant to be unforgiving, I really don't see the harm here... DS feels... dead without RoG.

Screw it, my attempts are in vain. Klei can do whatever Klei will do. If you want RoG to be merged, just pray to klei that they merge it. If you don't, just pray to klei that they won't. Honestly, I enjoy the system Klei is using, but some people may disagree, but in the end it's truly up to the developer to decide business choises. 

I don't understand this topic at all. Why merge RoG content into the base content files just to shut all of the relevant stuff off anyway? What does this supposedly fix and how? Why do you think RoG has anything at all to do with the buggy mess that SW is? How do you figure Capy being the ones designing SW and not Klei isn't relevant to why it's busted? What in the world makes you believe that SW added more content than the original game had when it's largely old content reskinned and resituated to make it all tropical-y?

I can answer one question this topic poses: why not incorporate RoG into the base game instead of selling it separately? Because they did a buttload of extra work making content and getting paid a measly $5 (assuming you buy it when it's not on sale) for providing people with a bunch more stuff to do is a pretty reasonable request.

Archived