Challange maps

We need a better way to present and share challenge maps. Dragging in a save file works, but is too easy to overwrite - maybe if there was a "challenge" sub-folder in the save-games folder - a new menu button where when chosen the game copies over to a new save file, giving you a chance to name it and leaving the original intact.

You guys have nailed it. I think steam workshop is an especially good idea. Basically I've pooched myself by saving the lost city challenge map as it was instead of doing a save as and think the game should manage that for me somehow.

Also, on the topic, it'd be cool to see some debug/map build tools specifically around challenges.. Like setting a goal, capture the flag would have worked for the lost city (I haven't finished it yet) or maybe a survive 30 cycles or gather X of resource. Etc.

My map, survive 50 cycles while it's raining hatches.

12 hours ago, Bargeral said:

Also, on the topic, it'd be cool to see some debug/map build tools specifically around challenges.. Like setting a goal, capture the flag would have worked for the lost city (I haven't finished it yet) or maybe a survive 30 cycles or gather X of resource. Etc.

Would be nice!
Perhaps some effect, when objective is reached, simple dancing dupes/fireworks and the option to end game (message).
Some sort of signs would be nice(writeable), or lamps like LED, which could be attached to the background without foundation..

I feel that true scenario editor with victory conditions and scripted events and custom signs is a good goal, though that would require more work.  I feel the separate folder is a good first-step (as that should be easy), followed by steam workshop integration for sharing scenarios made in debug mode, followed by a dedicated scenario editor with custom signs and arrows and background lights.

6 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I feel that true scenario editor with victory conditions and scripted events and custom signs is a good goal, though that would require more work.  I feel the separate folder is a good first-step (as that should be easy), followed by steam workshop integration for sharing scenarios made in debug mode, followed by a dedicated scenario editor with custom signs and arrows and background lights.

You have my ok, to do it that way!

Archived