Disasterpile - A Succession Colony

The saga of Disasterpile, a succession colony on world seed 7.

Rules

This is a succession game. Each overseer will play for 20 cycles (ending their turn at the start of cycle 20,40,60, etc) and upload the save to the next person in line. 

To keep things moving, if an overseer haven't completed the turn by 1 week from when the previous overseer hands over the save, they forfeit their turn and the next person in line gets the save. Additionally, if an overseer doesn't acknowledge the start of their turn within 2 days of the handover, they forfeit their turn the next person in line gets the save.

Overseers may not use cheats or debug mode. Minor exploits are allowed. Major exploits, (for example, the Borg Cube Supercooler), are not. Overseers are expected to use their own judgement when deciding if an exploit is major or minor.

Overseers are expected, though not obliged, to keep everyone informed of the goings on in and around the base. This can be done via in-character roleplaying, dialog, diary entries, OOC reports, screenshots of the base, or a combination of any of the above. At the very least, please let us know if any of our named duplicants die.

Anyone who comments in this thread must be be given a duplicant named after them. This rule may only be postponed when the colony is having trouble supporting the current number of duplicants.

Overseer List

• QuQuasar - Cycle 0-19 - Turn Complete
  • Lady Wolflyn - Cycle 20-39 - Turn Complete
  • thewreckedangle - Cycle 40-59 - 
  • Kabrute - Cycle 60-79 - 
  • ColBBQ - Cycle 80-99 - 
  • GrindThisGame - Cycle 100-119
  • Major SNAFU - Cycle 120-139
  • ??? (taking volunteers!) -I Cycle 140-...

Duplicants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the-"

nEbCmnR.jpg

"... a cave? Why am I in a cave? Who are you people? Tell me who you people are or I will slap you!"

"Aahh! Don't slap us!"

"Don't worry Kabrute, I'm kidding. I won't slap you. I'm a pacifist. Wait, what's a pacifist? And how do I know your name is Kabrute?"

"Uuuhhh..."

"Isn't your name Quasar?"

"Wait, just... wait... gimme a sec, Nascarlaser. I think my memory is coming back. I'm..."

JPIEjy8.jpg

"... a chef? Well that's pretty useless."

"At least you can dig."

"True. I still don't remember anything about where we are, though. I guess we have to work that out for ourselves."

"We should probably make a start, then? Y'know, since we're stuck in a cave and there's probably no air?"

"Uh, sure, I guess. We can work out a proper plan of action later. For now, let's get this disaster pile underway..." 

Kj1tQbk.jpg

"Aargh! It's a thing!"

"Aw, it's cute. Don't hurt it, Nascarlaser!"

"It's not cute! It's a horrifying mouth monster that is trying to murder me!"

"Let's compromise. It's a cute horrifying mouth monster that is trying to murder you."

0ksaTLt.jpg

"Don't worry, I'm sure it'll calm down eventually..."

-------------------------------

"Okay, I've got the latrines up! Minor issue, though..."

"What is it?"

"They're in a pocket of carbon dioxide, so... uh... you might have to hold your breath when you use them."

"No big deal, I always hold my breath when I poop."

"... uh... okay. Good to know."

ZnIRs0o.jpg

End of the first cycle...

0sXzi15.jpg

"Got the workshop up and running."

"Excellent! That'll allow us to research new build settings for the multitools! ... I have no idea how I know that."

"Well, our memories haven't proven unreliable so far. I think we can trust them"

XeZZJjB.jpg

"Hey guys, I think I found something up here."

"What is is, Nascarlaser?"

"Some sort of... plant?"

"What, like the weird tubers we've been digging up?"

"No, it's... it's moving. Like... grubs. It's swarming with grubs, except I think they're part of the plant."

"Do they look edible?"

"Urgh! Why would you ask that?!"

"I'm the chef, remember? And we're quickly running out of food. I suppose if you don't want to eat the grub plant we could resort to cannibalism. Or dirt. Everyone who wants to eat dirt, raise your hands."

"Grubs it is!"

"Guys! Another cavern up here. Lots of plants and stuff."

"Great!"

HUS6SV3.jpg

"There's something else, though. It's hot up here."

"How hot?"

"I dunno! Hot. Like that spot at the back of the bathroom."

"Hmm. Alright, nothing we can do about it now. We'll keep an eye on it and close off the cavern if it seems like it's getting hotter up there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Argh! Quaaaasaaar!"

"What! What is it!"

"The portal thingy! It started glowing and a person came out!"

"Hi."

"WHAT?!"

1kzvwRa.jpg

"Wait, I know you. You're midjones. How do I know who you are?" 

"How would I know? I just got here."

"Okay, well... this is actually a good thing. We'll just build another bed and you can help us out."

"Oh, one thing. I have trypophobia. I don't dig."

"You... you do know we're underground, right? Digging is part of the whole thing."

"Yeah, but... I don't."

"Alright, well... fine. We'll find other things for you to do. Off you go."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of Cycle 4. Farms are up and running, and we trapped a few of the adorable little lightbulb bugs in with them. We also found flowers that seem to be edible, so we planted those too. Can never have too much food.

0C91gkO.jpg

"Alright, I agree. It's too hot up here near the roof. Dig up the plants and the algae, cart them down, and we'll wall the place off as best we can.

864sYCp.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey boss, there's something keeping us from extending the compost room."

"What is it?"

"Dunno. A thing."

miEDzDV.jpg

"That's okay, it's not a problem yet, but those washbasins aren't going to empty themselves. We'll need a reservoir soon. See if you can work something out."

"Alright."

"Hows the sweeping going?"

"Still a long way to go, but the place looks a lot cleaner than it did yesterday. I think we- is the portal thingy glowing again?"

"Oh no, another one?"

5y3E59y.jpg

Let's give a big welcome to Lady Wolflyn, who doesn't research and doesn't build (and yes, the other two were even worse! RNG god hates me today).

On the bright side, uncultured means she won't be fazed when everyone else is vomiting all over the floor for lack of pretty paintings.

UFN2utk.jpg

Nascarlaser pierces the carbon dioxide pocket above the latrines. We've agreed to turn that into a proper barracks and deconstruct the cots we've been leaving laying around everywhere.

EBhVLQF.jpg

Meanwhile, a bit of exploratory mining has paid off. Kubrite announces found a door at the other end of the Thing Behind The Toilets.

1zaW7aX.jpg

"Wait, Midjones did what?"

"He opened it."

"Why?! Why would he do that?"

"Uh... to see what's inside?"

cq3IvFA.jpg

"But there could have been anything in there! What if it had been filled with, I dunno, monsters? He could have been eaten!"

"But he wasn't and now the place is open."

"Do none of you have any sense of self-preservation whatsoever?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, the pod is glowing again. I think we're getting another person."

"Again? Okay, fine. We have the food, we have the beds, we can handle it. But we're going to have to find a way to shut that thing off before we drown in people."

i080DDH.jpg

"Who do you think it'll be this time?"

"I'm hoping for an artist. We could really use some better decor in here. C'mooooon, artist!"

"Hi there! I am a doctor and also not an artist!"

"Bah!"

3MMRQqz.jpg

"So, I had an idea. You know the area behind the Thing Behind The Toilets?"

"The Zone Of Chlorinated Death?"

"Yeah, that place. Why don't we use it as a sewer?"

"... because taking a single breath of pure chlorine would kill us instantly?"

"It's not so bad. We can hold our breath."

"It would kill us."

"But it would kill the germs, too!"

"Yes. Because it's chlorine. It kills everything."

"Exactly!"

"This is a terrible idea."

"Oh. Really?"

"Yes, really."

"So... I probably shouldn't have already set it up?"

iwQpY9d.jpg

"*sigh* Okay, fine, but you have to clean out the corpses. I'm not doing it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VPylJmp.jpg

"Another one! I really hope it's an artist this time, or we'll be setting up all those blank canvases for nothing."

"Be careful what you wish for. What if it's someone who does literally nothing but art?

"Oh come on. What are the chances of that?"

tVjIk9H.jpg

"So, have you worked out how to shut the portal off yet?"

"I'm afraid not. Maybe it'll shut off on it's own eventually?"

"Do you really believe that?"

"Not really."

"We can't just keep accepting people. Overpopulation will kill us eventually."

"Well... I mean, maybe we could just... y'know. Wall it off. Pump all the air out. Not think about it."

"That's horrific."

"Well, I mean... I'm not suggesting we..."

".And a waste of good meat."

"Wait, what?"

"You're a monster. I don't want to talk to you anymore."

"But you just said- hey. Hey!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anticipating that we would not be able to find a way to shut off the portal thingy, we've been expanding the base with a symmetrical living quarters in the direction we've arbitrarily decided to call west.

WaH6Jd2.jpg

Meanwhile, Thewreckedangle has been furnishing the eastern living area's. They're looking a lot nicer than they were previously.

gGTQWbq.jpg

Finally, we're looking at a plumbing system for the latrines.

anuvJDc.jpg

That will likely be the last thing I do before I hand overseership onto someone else. I am not cut out to manage these people: I fell into a leadership position because someone had to, but I would much prefer to simply be the colony's cook.

Which reminds me...

wUaJeuF.jpg

Oh look, another one. They just keep coming. Oh well, that's somebody elses problem now..

cSNUdUd.jpg

It's the last day. I think I'll spend the day sweeping in order to leave the place neat and tidy for the handover...

yL51nIw.jpg

Aaand done! The save file is here:

Disasterpile.sav

Lady Wolflyn, you're up! Good luck with the base: I think I've left it in relatively stable working order. We have finished the first two tiers of research. It's still running on algae, though: you'll probably want to upgrade to electrolysis.

Okay crew! As your new temp overseer my goals are as follows:

The installation of Hygienic Toilets & Sinks {As colony physician I can tell you with certainty germs are bad!}

An Electrolyzer so we can all breathe a little easier.

A more hands off power grid than all these hamster wheels. {Tho running keeps ya fit, so they'll still be around for a loong time to come!|

"New overseer? What happened to the old one?"

"Not a thing! She just has her hands full cooking now the kitchen is up and running."

"Yeah, I got this, {really!} we're gonna have top of the line plumbing, atmo production and zero disease issues during my stint."

"Uh.. Boss lady?"

"What now? I'm a bit busy trying to convince everyone they're in good hands."

"The portal thingy just popped out another person, they call themselves ColBBQ!"

"Excellent, we could use another chef."

"They're a miner actually..."

5a652928ab836_ColBBQ.jpg.eb0fda4d66d4a642f6f6a7a3b8b2b6fb.jpg

"Like I said we could use another chef, someone mentioned eating dirt a while back didn't they?"

Welcome to the crew ColBBQ! Whatever happens I'm pretty certain you won't get ill easily, unless of course a future overseer notices your digging aptitude as well and assigns you to mining slime...

A few cycles later and the new washroom facilities are up and running!

latrine.thumb.jpg.c5c3402a1ead768b039f3479ac3fa4b0.jpg

"This is pretty sweet, maybe this new overseer will work out okay after all."

"Sure, they're only holding the spot for another 18 cycles, what could possibly go wrong?"

"Uh guys? Not to be a downer or anything but we got food rotting in piles down on the lower levels..."

"The portals lighting up again boss!"

"Again?! We really need to find an off switch for that thing, who'd we get this time?"

"Some runner called Steelflame, seems pretty speedy!"

"Yeah you should get along great with them, you got some stuff in common when it comes to the brains dept."

"Don't you mean a lack thereof?" *snerk*

Steel.jpg.f420299889c3c47d428b3fedd82b117a.jpg

Welcome to the party Steel Flame, you've got some nice athletics, you're certain to have a bright future in our group as a human power source runner and harvester!

"Wolfie! Wolfie! We got another problem!"

*sigh* "Just Overseer will be fine, what is it now?"

"The refrigeration went in fine Just Overseer, {tho it's not enough to keep all our food fresh} and the electrolyzer is on schedule, {But just barely because Nascarlaser keeps napping on the job} but that aside, we got a problem!"

"... Which is?"

"We're almost out of water for cooking!"

water.thumb.jpg.a3d47b782bd52ae187a34faa501b2235.jpg

"We have an untapped water source below the garden, stick a pump in it and get someone researching a water sieve."

"Sure thing Just Overseer, Nascarlaser and Midjones will get right on that!"

"Just Overseer? Atmo pressure's getting kinda high, and the power drain of all those fridges are sucking the batteries down faster than we can charge'em, oh and the C02 levels in the gardens is getting kinda much."

"Enough with the just part, now as for our issues, build a couple coal plants and a carbon scrubber on the lower level, and set up a closed system sieve to keep it running, that should solve the power problems for now, and we can route the bathroom runoff through it down the road."

"On it!"

A few cycles later and we have the system in place, while not as elegant and perfect as I'd like, it should resolve the current difficulties for now.

water.thumb.jpg.6623ff9ae46fb28ae308ff7c821e7474.jpg

All yours Thewrecktangle!

All of the tier 2 & 3 research is complete with most of tier 4 finished. The colony itself is in good shape, though you'll want to keep an eye on the water situation for plumbing and cooking and probably mine some more ore for the coal generators since they'll run low in about 15ish cycles I figure?

water.thumb.jpg.47c3aedd4d48a7e7419fbf25d2ead4e9.jpg

And here's your save file! Disasterpile.sav

Sweet! At this rate we’ll be a fully armed and operational battle colony in a week.  Or all dead from asphyxiation. One of those.

I’ll PM Thewreckedangle.

If this game has caught anyone’s interest, feel free to sign up for a turn at overseership. If we can keep the current rate going, your turn will probably come quite soon. Don’t worry, it’s only 20 cycles. What’s the worst that could happen?

1 hour ago, QuQuasar said:

Sweet! At this rate we’ll be a fully armed and operational battle colony in a week.  Or all dead from asphyxiation. One of those.

I’ll PM Thewreckedangle.

If this game has caught anyone’s interest, feel free to sign up for a turn at overseership. If we can keep the current rate going, your turn will probably come quite soon. Don’t worry, it’s only 20 cycles. What’s the worst that could happen?

is there a real world time limit for holding onto a save, or just when 20 cycles are up?

31 minutes ago, Nascarlaser1 said:

is there a real world time limit for holding onto a save, or just when 20 cycles are up?

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this. If an overseer haven't completed the turn by 1 week from when the previous overseer hands over the save, they will forfeit their turn. 

As an additional rule: if you don't acknowledge the start of your turn within 2 days of the handover, the next person in line gets the save. That should keep things moving and prevent the possibility of absentee overseers holding things up.

I'll add these rules to the OP.

Archived