Year of the Gobbler (Dog)

^  What I was about to say.  It wouldn't BE on the 19th of January this year, because it's not the same every year.  It's a "moveable feast"...kinda like how Easter is sometimes in April, sometimes in March?  Yeah, like that.

And I've said my opinion on this on another thread, but I'll say it again here:  It should be the Year of the Dog, NOT an exact repeat of Year of the Gobbler.  It'd be so much cooler to have the in-game holiday change at least a little bit to match the actual Chinese New Year, every time, because that'd be more variety and creativity.  There are TWELVE different animals!--it'd be such a waste to stick with just one holiday.

On the other hand, there's no reason they couldn't repeat the NON-animal-specific stuff from last year (outfits, fireworks, lanterns, etc.), and perhaps the Gobbler items could be available in the store and/or as drops...

I'm more interested to see (a) how the hell they manage to make hounds something fun and festive, and (b) how weird it'll be for this to mix straight into the same week as Valentine's Day. : P  (Hey Minespatch.  Draw a hound-themed pun Valentine card.  I dare you.  ;))

...Notorious

6 hours ago, GentlemanFridge said:

Chinese New Year is on the 16th of Februari iirc. So if there’s indeed a second instance of Year of the Gobbler/Hound, I doubt it’s coming this month.

Let's hope Klei has time to program that. There's Grfitlands and ONI, so yeah. There's also that future event that the devs are hiding.

This year would also be strongly related to the game since we have Hounds and Vargs, so even if the hounds got a few boosts, or the pet vargling got a new skin it would be cool. Some other of the zodiac animals are also easily relatable:

Ox \approx Beefalo
Rabbit \approx  2 Types of Bunnies to choose from, and their dark insane counterparts.
Dragon \approx There's a big one in a desert surrounded by lava pools, if you are new to the game go as close as possible to her and do the wave emote for a nice surprise.
Snake \approx Depth worms? I guess? unless shipwrecked is added to dst
Goat \approx Volt Goat
Monkey \approx Oh we all know 'em...
Rooster \approx Gobbler, been there done that
Dog \approx  Hounds and Varg
Pig \approx NO LIKE DARK! WHERE IS SUN?

I have no idea about rat, tiger and horse though.

I've thought about how the other animals would work in game terms myself...it's a fun thing to try and figure out. :)  As for tiger...well, TIGERSHARK!! catcoons and kittykits?  I'm a Year of the Tiger baby myself, so I'm interested in that one both because of that and because KITTY!  Rat and horse I'm not sure about...

(I have a mod that among other things, adds some Shipwrecked stuff to the game ("Multi-World"), so that on my exploring around I occasionally run straight past some frolicking sharkittens and annoying goddamned snakes.  But, that's a MOD...)

...Notorious

42 minutes ago, ZolaRay said:

People have been saying that it will come out in February, but i dont think it will, since we also have Valentine's day event on the same month, i hope it comes out today or around this month

We had Forge and Hallowed Nights active and overlapping for a few weeks. I don't think Klei is overly concerned if the event overlaps.

Even if they do overlap I don't think the Valentine's "event" actually added or changed anything in the game like the previous events. It just gave us a new skin/emote to use year round.

There’s no reason to think we will have an event for either holiday. Yes, we had the Gobbler event, but that was during the beta release of ANR. I wouldn’t view that as a commitment from Klei that they release new themed content for every Chinese New Year from now on. They have never said anything to indicate that they will.

What they HAVE said they intend to do in the future is stand-alone module events like the Forge, hopefully not all so combat-focused next time. Designing that is a big job, so don’t expect a lot of holiday-themed events on top of it.

20 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

There’s no reason to think we will have an event for either holiday. Yes, we had the Gobbler event, but that was during the beta release of ANR. I wouldn’t view that as a commitment from Klei that they release new themed content for every Chinese New Year from now on. They have never said anything to indicate that they will.

AFAIK Klei never committed to new Hallowed Nights or Winters Feast content last year but they chose to give us new content. (Plenty of new cosmetics, in game trinkets, and reskins of monsters.) If they gave Western Holidays major events and updated them with new content last year it makes no sense to not do the same for the Chinese New Year. (I don't live in China but I assume it is a really big deal over there.) At minimum we will probably see Distinguished versions of the Event rarity clothing. (Like we got for Hallowed Nights and Winters Feast in 2017.)

25 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Designing that is a big job, so don’t expect a lot of holiday-themed events on top of it.

They gave us significant Winters Feast content and some new Halloween cosmetics (the new Distinguished/Elegants are not all identical to the Event rarity items, some of them use a higher quality version of the original assets) so I don't think its unreasonable to expect some additional Chinese New Year content. (Again the Event rarity clothes will probably get a Distinguished variant.) Its not guaranteed we will receive more content but I think its incredibly likely that we will see something, even if it is small, for the Chinese New Year.

55 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

People have been saying that it will come out in February, but i dont think it will, since we also have Valentine's day event on the same month, i hope it comes out today or around this month

People are saying it’s coming out in February because the actual Chinese New Year is in the month of February. The event is still a month away.

Also Valentine’s Day isn’t a big event like Chinese New Year, if anythring they’ll hand out the swoon emote and Cupid heart again for those who missed it. Just like last year.

10 minutes ago, PillsStealer said:

People are saying it’s coming out in February because the actual Chinese New Year is in the month of February. The event is still a month away.

Also Valentine’s Day isn’t a big event like Chinese New Year, if anythring they’ll hand out the swoon emote and Cupid heart again for those who missed it. Just like last year.

The in-game events usually don't start at the same time when the irl ones, so I don't really think that the Year of the Hound will come in February, especially on the day of the chinese new year. If it comes at all. Honestly, I'll just wait and see what comes. If Klei will make a new event for the occassion, I'll be happy, but I won't be depressed if not. 

About Valentine's day, hm... will we get loyal heart skins, and those who already have it will get the timeless?... :wilson_curious:

2 hours ago, camelot said:

FYI, you could called it Lunar New Year, not Chinese New Year since it's not exclusively for China

I think this was done mostly because they have such a huge fanbase in China. I mean, the Roseate set was exclusive to them only for quite some time! Also I think it just has better name recognition, branding wise.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The Lunar New Year and Chinese New Year are completely different holidays though, and they're celebrated differently as well.

To the Chinese, it's the same. And some other asian countries (eg. Vietnam, Korea) who celebrate the Lunar New Year on the same day based it off the Chinese's lunisolar calendar. All celebrating the new year in coordination with the cycles of the moon, which is why it varies every year. So I guess, technically, they are the same holiday. But yes the different cultures celebrate it differently. 

On 1/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, Rellimarual said:

What they HAVE said they intend to do in the future is stand-alone module events like the Forge, hopefully not all so combat-focused next time. Designing that is a big job, so don’t expect a lot of holiday-themed events on top of it.

This comment by JoeW confirms there's an event in February.

33 minutes ago, Josonic said:

This comment by JoeW confirms there's an event in February.

This is great news, thanks!

Of course, I want seasonal events as much as the next person, but speculation on the forums can be like a game of Telephone, jumping from blue-sky fantasies to “fact” in a few weeks. Someone posts, “Gee, wouldn’t it be great if we all got free ponies for Arbor Day?” Then in a week someone else posts “We’re getting free ponies on Arbor Day! What color do you want?” And then the week after that it’s “If these ponies can’t run faster than a rider beefalo, they will suck and be proof that Klei doesn’t care about balance. Oh well, more useless crap.” And then of course, “When will the free ponies come to console?”

Archived