Change in Geyser Spawns?

So something I noticed with recent maps I've been generating. Only four geysers spawn instead of five in previous builds. Further, there's no guarantee you would get one of each type of geyser. I've generated maps with steam and natural gas, but not a single chlorine geyser. My biggest disappointment was when I tried using the seeds posted in the seed sharing threads, with the maps not generating the five geysers that were documented by their posters.

Is this something that wasn't documented in the last patch that I'm only just noticing since I was playing an old map gen for so long or is this a bug nobody really noticed or cared about? I'm only bringing it up because one of the maps I generated had small pockets of chlorine and no geyser in sight to regenerate it, which had me playing with random maps and surveying them in debug mode..

You are correct, the chlorine is now an optional geyser swapping with one of the Nat Gas ones.  You are also correct that it is 4 not 5 now, but poi, Ruins, might erase one on world gen so even thats not guaranteed.  TLDR:  Yes, yes, no and check the age of the posted date of the seeds, seeds dont' work across updates.

Well, reducing the number of natgas geysers is actually not that bad. I like it when I'm forced to have a secondary or even tertiary source of power with reserve natgas generators or coal generators, that work amazing with the crazy amounts of coal produced by hatches. Also, you can use magma to produce more natgas then you probably need, so that's not that bad...

I'm surprised though with the alleged disappearance of chlorine geysers. There's currently no way to obtain chlorine other then using a geyser or bleach stone - well, the second option doesn't really work for my bases, as I can't imagine not having a sterile, chlorine storage room...

22 minutes ago, mickaux said:

Well, reducing the number of natgas geysers is actually not that bad. I like it when I'm forced to have a secondary or even tertiary source of power with reserve natgas generators or coal generators, that work amazing with the crazy amounts of coal produced by hatches. Also, you can use magma to produce more natgas then you probably need, so that's not that bad...

I'm not opposed to the concept, however, that is not the goal that is being achieved.  If anything, it's going to encourage people to make even more elaborate NatGas/FertSynth loops to make up for the lost geyser.  It's simply way too convenient to have all that power available on a feedback loop that requires zero input from the player or from Dupes to maintain.

51 minutes ago, mickaux said:

Well, reducing the number of natgas geysers is actually not that bad.

Reducing it to exactly one wouldn't be. Reducing it to one and maybe a second one (and if not, a nearly useless chlorine geyser instead) is terrible.

Swapping natgas and steam geysers would be excusable, as both have their roles. Chlorine has only one unique use and that is killing germs on items. And germs are still not a big problem, not even now that everyone who wants a challenge plays on weak+fatalistic.

The result is that some worlds suck and others don't. In a game where you can easily spend 2-3 hours just to explore the map to see if your map is bad or not.

To be honest the nat gas geysers don’t have much use I only ever use one since my fert makers usually end up with thousands of kilos by cycle 1000 and the clorine geyser is even more useless I just wish that the void would come back because I loved that thing.

Archived