Razor as a Tool

The razor, right now, has a very specific role: Shave Wilson, Webber, and Beefalo.

I think it would be interesting, and not horribly broken, if it could become an equippable tool with around 20-40 uses that would reduce harvesting time on tall grass, berries, twigs, and similar. I think this makes sense from both an in-game and realistic point of view. A razor would make it easier to cut through grass and sticks making harvesting easier and faster, and its durability loss could be explained by the razor losing its edge. Perhaps the recipe might need a tweak to reflect the new uses, but I think it would be an interesting change without disrupting the core gameplay of don't starve.

This could be extended even further, perhaps Maxwell could receive a harvester puppet craft-able with 2 nightmare fuel and a razor. The puppet could be made to instantly drop the harvested item on the ground, or hold onto it and give it to maxwell automatically when it does not see anything to harvest.

Anyway, thought it was an interesting idea, wanted to share. Have a nice day!

1 minute ago, Raspberry Milk said:

Why not just give Wilson another upside?

No. there's just no point in giving everyone beard/hair mechanics, it has been a staple for wilson ever since he was first released. editing it or replacing it with another upside while giving everyone that beard advantage and insulation would get a lot more people angry

Just now, Palecwsmalec1 said:

No. there's just no point in giving everyone beard/hair mechanics, it has been a staple for wilson ever since he was first released. editing it or replacing it with another upside while giving everyone that beard advantage and insulation would get a lot more people angry

Yeah, but why does only Wilson's hair grow? Hair equality!

Hmm, now that's a thoughtful use for such a currently niche tool. Though, I'm not really impatient enough harvesting grasses, berries, and twigs to desire a limited-use tool to speed that up to my benefit. Also, it wouldn't be very consistent to have it shave an indefinte amount of beards and beefalo, yet can only gather so much grass that can be otherwise easily obtained without it.

Still, it might as well make it worthwhile to always carry one, especially for big grass and twig farms. Would help with razor clutter, too, as they obviously don't have durability and last indefinitely because of it. Perhaps the durability could also be exceptionally higher than you suggested, so that those who would otherwise shave huge amounts of beefalo wool won't suffer from this too much. Razors are cheap anyway, so why not?

Archived