Best way to find Ruins?

Hey @Funny Valentine, welcome to the forums. In DST (you are talking about DST correct? cause this is the DST Gen Disc.), The Ruins are on the same plane\level as the Caves so there is no sinkhole to go into like what we have in Don't Starve. Afaik, there is no tried and true method to find the ruins because of how random the caves and ruins are generated. If you really want to learn how the game generates it then my suggestion would be to use a Map Reveal mod, and make a handful of screenshots of Caves/Ruins map (regenerating the world each time), to actually get a sense of how the game generates it.

Based on my experience, most of the time the Ruins are connected to the Lichen biome with the fish ponds. But finding those Lichen biomes can be difficult too. Sometimes the lichen biomes are only connected through a mushroom forest, sometimes its directly nearby a Cave exit, it's really random.

Others may be of better help though, either way good luck. Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

That actually is part of the ruins.

Oh, thanks for the correction. I personally only ever thought of the actual ruins as the Ruins (with pseudoscience station, splumonkeys etc). Thinking back on it now, in DS the Ruins Level contained both the Lichen Biome and the Ruins proper.

So now with DST, it's only a matter of finding that lichen. Thanks again, cheers.

the lichen area (start of the ruins area) can be easily found if you border the big swamp area with lightbulbs. If u find the blue mushroom area, there is usually a path that connects to the lightbulbs biome. This is a recurrent world gen pattern, but it's not 100% guaranteed all the time.

Ruins in DST are on the same "floor" as the normal caves, just way farther back pass the lichen area.

I recommend u make a mini base in the lichen area with a meat effigy, amulet, croc pot, fridge and tent in case u need to make a pause to explore and can recover in case of things going wrong.

Also craft if possible moogles asap, they are amazing items for ruins exploration.

I hope this helps :)

9 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I recommend u make a mini base in the lichen area with a meat effigy, amulet, croc pot, fridge and tent in case u need to make a pause to explore and can recover in case of things going wrong.

I would say just outside it, preferably in an area with a lot of lightbulb flowers, so you have some natural light. Nightmare fissures start appearing once you get into the lichen/pond area, and you don’t want to be fighting off shadow monsters in your camp

4 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I would say just outside it, preferably in an area with a lot of lightbulb flowers, so you have some natural light. Nightmare fissures start appearing once you get into the lichen/pond area, and you don’t want to be fighting off shadow monsters in your camp

there are fissures in the lichen area, but not everywhere.. u can still have a good spot to have a mini base there with no fissures at all.

Plus, it's always nice to be around the lichen for filler since they are veggies too :)

Besides, lightbulb area is technically not the "natural light" area... They are usually the green areas (also where the bunnymen are) when u can actually have bee boxes and farms ,etc.

Fissures aren’t everywhere in the lichen area, but unless the cycle is active or in its ramp up/down phase, you don’t know where they are, so siting a base in it can’t be done during the dormant phase. Since the lightbulb field is more often than not just a screen or two away, there’s not much more convenience to being right in the lichen area when you can be someplace where you don’t always have to have a lightsource going and there’s no danger of planting your base near a fissure. The plants are part of nature, so the light they make could be called natural. It doesn’t cost the player anything. But that’s just semantics.

11 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

...but unless the cycle is active or in its ramp up/down phase, you don’t know where they are...

Not sure if you are aware, but the nightmare fissures can still be seen in the calm phase as a small little crack in the ground (as seen in this pic from the wiki). I also like to mark the fissures with signs when they are somewhat isolated (again as whoever took this picture).

File:Closed Nightmare Fissure.png

5 hours ago, dinosaur1831 said:

Not sure if you are aware, but the nightmare fissures can still be seen in the calm phase as a small little crack in the ground (as seen in this pic from the wiki). I also like to mark the fissures with signs when they are somewhat isolated (again as whoever took this picture).

File:Closed Nightmare Fissure.png

Oh, that is helpful to know, thanks! Are they as easy to see in the mud turf? 

Archived