Klei Should Have a Character Update

22 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I just realized something. We're so busy talking about characters in need of a buff, but no one has said much about those in need a nerf. I hear lots of people say Wickerbottom, Wolfgang and WX need a nerf, but never hear many actual suggestions on the subject.

So how would we go about nerfing these characters, but making it so they play (mostly) the same?

I wouldn't say we're calling for buffing or nerfing here, my main point is that some stuff, characters and mechanics alike, aren't fun.  This, being a video game, should prioritize the player having fun without ruining the fun of others.  If Klei wanted to make the characters even, Wick, Wolf, and WX are the prime canidates for nerfing, though, as each has a ridiculous strength and minimal downside (Wolfgang's Mighty Form, Wicker's books, WX's upgrades/overcharge/eating gears to literally never die) which trivializes a lot of the game for them.  More or less, the issues I see are-

- Wolfgang's sanity drain from the dark is minimal.  If he goes insane, he can fight the nightmares with ease.  Also, his hunger takes forever to fully deplete, and starving isn't really an issue most of the time anyways.

- Wickerbottom has too many upsides, no downsides except she can't sleep and the picky eater thing.  You can hardly call either a downside when she's played by any slightly-decent player.  The books give her strength and utility no other character comes close to.

- WX-78 can become a walking god and even more so when struck by lightning, where nothing is going to endanger him ever.  Gears provide insane healing, hunger, and sanity regen as well, and can be eaten quickly.

Basically, everybody else seems to have something major to weigh their mechanic out, but these 3 get off the hook.  I don't think nerfing characters should be a priority over fixing the "unfun" ones, but it might be an issue at some point in the future.  If they were balanced, PVP might actually take off a little more, who knows.

Instead of making the fun characters weaker and more balanced in comparison with the rest of the cast, why not make everyone else stronger to be on par and as fun?

It's fun to feel overpowered, if you want to feel underpowered you got Wes, if you want to be in between then play Wilson or Winona. I totally agree with you, but just want to emphasize the part you mention they shouldn't focus on nerfing.

46 minutes ago, Mynzelah said:

It's fun to feel overpowered

I have to disagree with this. Well, it might be fun for a few minutes, but once all challenge is gone then things tend so get stale and boring.

Guess that's one of the reasons I like using Max now that I think about it. He's kind of a challenge character with his low health, but he still has useful perks.

1 hour ago, Mario384 said:

I wouldn't say we're calling for buffing or nerfing here, my main point is that some stuff, characters and mechanics alike, aren't fun.  This, being a video game, should prioritize the player having fun without ruining the fun of others.

Well, either way, if you're changing things to be more fun then you'll likely end up nerfing or buffing things, even if it's done indirectly. That, and the definition of "fun" will vary from person to person. Personally, I find a challenge to be "fun" and would like to see these three nerfed slightly. Preferably in a way that doesn't impact how they're used all that much.

26 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I have to disagree with this. Well, it might be fun for a few minutes, but once all challenge is gone then things tend so get stale and boring.

Guess that's one of the reasons I like using Max now that I think about it. He's kind of a challenge character with his low health, but he still has useful perks.

Well, either way, if you're changing things to be more fun then you'll likely end up nerfing or buffing things, even if it's done indirectly. That, and the definition of "fun" will vary from person to person. Personally, I find a challenge to be "fun" and would like to see these three nerfed slightly. Preferably in a way that doesn't impact how they're used all that much.

That's the main reason for me to main Wilson - kept in the middle. It's fun to play him,because he is quite good for beginners,and he has no horrible downsides. And because there's still a challange while playing him. After all,he's the most important main protagonist,and the oldest one.

40 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Low sanity... Where?

4 hours ago, Mario384 said:

I wouldn't say we're calling for buffing or nerfing here, my main point is that some stuff, characters and mechanics alike, aren't fun.

This is wholly the main point. The last change Klei made to Willow (toning down her insanity freezing) was after people wrote numerous times how utterly boring and poorly implemented that mechanic was.

A nerf for wicker could be: she's slower than others (because she's an old lady). Multiply her speed by 0.9.

(I know that speed is extremely valuable in this game, but wicker is so strong... This downside would make her less OP.) 

A nerf for wolfgang: he can only craft boards, cutstones, eletrical doodads and alchemy engine with the science machine. If he has access to an alchemy engine however, he's able to craft all science machine+alchemy engine tier items. (This downside would fit him pretty well, because wolfgang is stupid.)

A nerf for wx-78: He needs to reboot his system every 5 segments. (Similar to wolfgangs "oh no, i'm not mighty anymore!" stun-thing.) This could be avoided by upgrading him with 4 gears, so he never ever needs to reboot his system again.

(Please don't flame me, i'm new to the dst forums.)
(Also: excuse me for my bad english)

32 minutes ago, Lakurius said:
A nerf for wicker could be: she's slower than others (because she's an old lady). Multiply her speed by 0.9.

(I know that speed is extremely valuable in this game, but wicker is so strong... This downside would make her less OP.) 

A nerf for wolfgang: he can only craft boards, cutstones, eletrical doodads and alchemy engine with the science machine. If he has access to an alchemy engine however, he's able to craft all science machine+alchemy engine tier items. (This downside would fit him pretty well, because wolfgang is stupid.)

A nerf for wx-78: He needs to reboot his system every 5 segments. (Similar to wolfgangs "oh no, i'm not mighty anymore!" stun-thing.) This could be avoided by upgrading him with 4 gears, so he never ever needs to reboot his system again.

(Please don't flame me, i'm new to the dst forums.)
(Also: excuse me for my bad english)

We are still talking about game where you have bones in your hair so I don't think that putting "she's old so she's slow" kind of logic is necesary.

Imo nerf for Wicker would be making her books less durable. They break faster so she has to make more of them which costs her materials and so on.

Wolfgnag... Reducing the dmg/speed he gets in his mighty form. Less of a HUMAN TANK and more of a "I'm a body builder"

Wx-78. Lowering his max stats from 400 health to 370. The same for hunger and sanity. Or making him lose more sanity from overcharging.

But I agree with Mynzelah that we should buff the weak characters and not nerf the good ones.

I been thinking of a new spider(don't kill me)...

But for real real only new character I'm checking for is a Charlie(like vision and whenever a player dies from darkness she'll disappear then reappear...but dropping all her stuff like werebeaver)

Or a shadow creature that drain sanity in day, nothing happen to his sanity, and night he gains sanity...

Idk something like when Shadow creatures attack him the hit his hunger not his life...but idk

33 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

We are still talking about game where you have bones in your hair so I don't think that putting "she's old so she's slow" kind of logic is necesary.

Imo nerf for Wicker would be making her books less durable. They break faster so she has to make more of them which costs her materials and so on.

Wolfgnag... Reducing the dmg/speed he gets in his mighty form. Less of a HUMAN TANK and more of a "I'm a body builder"

Wx-78. Lowering his max stats from 400 health to 370. The same for hunger and sanity. Or making him lose more sanity from overcharging.

But I agree with Mynzelah that we should buff the weak characters and not nerf the good ones.

We should buff the weaker characters, but we should also nerf the strong characters. I mean... Wickerbottom is as strong as a god. 

Also buffing all characters to a wicker/wolfgang/wx level is a bad idea. We don't need any more characters with godlike powers. This is a survival game. If you want this game to be like minecraft creative mode, please play with OP modded characters.

15 hours ago, Mario384 said:

- Wickerbottom has too many upsides, no downsides except she can't sleep and the picky eater thing.  You can hardly call either a downside when she's played by any slightly-decent player.  The books give her strength and utility no other character comes close to.

IMO not being able to sleep is kind of a huge thing, specially in the caves.. and cuz u are completely left out from the winter event

9 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

IMO not being able to sleep is kind of a huge thing, specially in the caves.. and cuz u are completely left out from the winter event

Not being able to sleep is a huge thing?

Not being able to eat anything other than meat is a huge thing

Having 75 max HP is a huge thing

But not being able to sleep? Tents/bedrolls are useless in my opinion. There are other ways to restore your sanity/health, and they're less time consuming/more efficient.

It's a bit annoying when you're in the ruins as wicker and you can't sleep. But then again, there are other ways of restoring your sanity/health.

The christmas thing:

Wicker could also just ask other players for their help. It's don't starve TOGETHER after all :)

16 minutes ago, Lakurius said:

Wicker could also just ask other players for their help. It's don't starve TOGETHER after all :)

Unless you decide to play it alone... Like most people that want to actually ahve a world that's past a whole year

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

Unless you decide to play it alone... Like most people that want to actually ahve a world that's past a whole year

You could still just invite some of your friends to join your private server so they can... Sleep for you

1 hour ago, Lakurius said:

Not being able to eat anything other than meat is a huge thing

Not really. Most of the best foods tend to be meat dishes. Well I guess you lose out on dragon pies, taffy and mushrooms, but that's about it. Wigfrid doesn't really need those anyway when she can recover health and sanity easily enough just by farming some spiders.

52 minutes ago, Lakurius said:

You could still just invite some of your friends to join your private server so they can... Sleep for you

Depends on the situation. For the longest time I didn't have many friends who played DST much. So inviting a friend to my private server wasn't really an option. I can't imagine I was the only one who's had this issue.

1 minute ago, Sinister_Fang said:

For the longest time I didn't have many friends who played DST much. So inviting a friend to my private server wasn't really an option. I can't imagine I was the only one who's had this issue.

Oh, thats pretty sad...

I want maxwell to be buffed. If the devs would only make his shadow duelists better... Somewhere in this forum i read something like "shadow duelists should copy the wasd movements of the player". Like... They would focus the mob that maxwell is attacking first and then they would move around the mob like a... Mirror image. 

That would be so cool! It would not only look extremely epic, but maxwell would also be THE glass cannon.

(Yes, i'm a maxwell main.)

I also have a "solution" for the OP wicker/wolf/wx thing. The problem is that they need MORE/"heavier" downsides, and not their upsides to be nerfed.

(It's just my opinion so please don't flame me now)

Archived