1000+ day world hosters. How do you keep your world from crashing?

The two times I've gotten over 1000 days my worlds just get progressively laggier and laggier. I can't help but make larger bases at different points on the map and alter the landscape to keep from getting bored in the later days. On my second 1000 day world I routinely cleaned up loose items and actively tried to keep the structure count in check but it now I can't even load into that world without the entire app crashing. I see other players with even 2000 day worlds and wonder what they're doing differently that the game let's them actually play. Any tips or things for players to avoid? 

4 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

The two times I've gotten over 1000 days my worlds just get progressively laggier and laggier. I can't help but make larger bases at different points on the map and alter the landscape to keep from getting bored in the later days. On my second 1000 day world I routinely cleaned up loose items and actively tried to keep the structure count in check but it now I can't even load into that world without the entire app crashing. I see other players with even 2000 day worlds and wonder what they're doing differently that the game let's them actually play. Any tips or things for players to avoid? 

This what make me go insane, I see a lot of player on PlayStation community posting their base with 2000+ days with no problems! I even saw some dude with 4500 days on twitch playing on PS4 with no problems!

so what going on with our worlds? why we kept getting crash every time we load our world?

Would running the game on a PS4Pro help at all?

I'm using the PS4 Pro with Boost mode on and off and I still have the bug!

As you can see im almost at 7000 days on ps4, this world is definitely a handful to keep going since I do end up with app crashes from time to time. my only advice on how to keep a high day count is to clean up your world and not build as much stuff since having to much stuff in your world causes it to crash on startup.

24210153_1645120518864978_7168100608506882344_o.jpg

If the PS4 Pro doesn't help and I can't even access the world to get rid of stuff then it sounds like there's not anything I can do. 

Can someone at Klei give us an idea of what the limit is for a world? Seems disingenuous to know the game crashes at a certain point and not give the players a warning. 

On 12/4/2017 at 5:09 AM, Hapymaher said:

As you can see im almost at 7000 days on ps4, this world is definitely a handful to keep going since I do end up with app crashes from time to time. my only advice on how to keep a high day count is to clean up your world and not build as much stuff since having to much stuff in your world causes it to crash on startup.

for me it's really hard and difficult, for one thing like @NSAiswatchingus I can't access my world to do clean up, and second my world set as an Endless, so every now and then I get trees, berries etc.. regrowing make it even harder for me to handle it.

NOT BUILD AS MUCH AS YOU WANT is really a bad thing for open world game! I can get the lag part if you build a lot of stuff near each other, but getting crash and ruin your saving file!! this is insane! even though my world set as BIG with 4-8 player playing at the same time, I can't mange what to build let alone others.

IF this true, I'm with @NSAiswatchingus, give us at least indication in-game for when we near to reach the limitation for item build! 

This single image is all I have to show for months of work. I was planning on making a video of it the day the world crashed. It was my interpretation of the new Hamlet DLC's main town based on that 60 second video and those three screenshots we had seen with added elements of a traditional RPG town. It had a Blacksmith, a tailor, a restaurant, a magic store, a potion store (healing), a library, a general store, an inn, a "Hunter's lodge", several guard shacks, and the mayor's office, all populated with specifically hatted pigs to accentuate their roles. Each building unique in its walls and decorations. All the streets were lit by Glowcaps and the entire East side of the biome was a fully sustainable farm including pens for trained beefalo. That was just one "base" I had built. Nevermind the time spent altering and even creating new biomes to help build the atmosphere I wanted for the world. 

3ddewsa3xjxz.jpg

This is a real shame. I would love to see a video tour of the world; hope this gets resolved. I've had some issues with my beautifully worlds as well and it has to do with some cave bug, and I can't access my saves anymore. I pray it remains accessible in the future.

2 hours ago, mzajy said:

Hello, anyone?

We won't get a response. For them to acknowledge this bug they'd have to actually DO something about it.  Most players don't ever get to point where it matters, so why waste the money/time to fix a bug maybe 5% of players will ever see. Klei doesn't give a ****. Neither do I anymore. There's better games to be played from better companies. 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, NSAiswatchingus said:

We won't get a response. For them to acknowledge this bug they'd have to actually DO something about it.  Most players don't ever get to point where it matters, so why waste the money/time to fix a bug maybe 5% of players will ever see. Klei doesn't give a ****. Neither do I anymore. There's better games to be played from better companies. 

Spoiler

Klei does care, have you tried maybe DM-ing them? They won't bite your head off, and they do respond. They just try to avoid directly involving themselves with topics, because it tends to be a definitive black or white answer and stunts conversation as a result. Also if you're so concerned over this, maybe post it in the bug tracker?

Lemme try and give you a brass tacks breakdown of why DST gets laggy the more days you progress (well, past day 1000).

This game is run on an engine called lua. It was made this way to give modders access to tools, along with having an easier time with modding the game. However, lua isn't optimized when it comes to compensating for lag.

On PC there are mods which drastically reduce lag in longer running worlds, but since that's not possible for you guys, I do have some recommendations:

Cut down on sprites in the world.

• Beefalo will continuously breed when in heat, so you have to regularly thin the herd.
  • Making a crap ton of bee boxes means that 3 bees will spawn PER BOX regularly, which means that a LOT of bee sprites and scripts will be loaded and running, thus causing lag up the wazoo.
  • Rain: believe it or not, but each rain drop is a sprite, as is the drop effect. So...yeah, rain causes a lot of lag in later worlds.
  • Trees: Trees are the cause of a LOT of lag, and planted tress will spawn regardless if planted. So go to the woods and chop wood regularly. ALSO DIG STUMPS (This is even worse with petrification enabled.)
  • Rock fields: Meteors will rain down regularly, breaking rocks and making rocks/flint/nitre to spawn. Once again these are all separate sprites, so be sure to clean those up.

And just generally don't have a lot of stuff placed in a small area, because, once again, it's a crap ton of sprites the game has to fetch, load, and render in a short time.

But then again I'm no expert on this, so maybe take my words of wisdom with a hint of salt. :3

On 12/13/2017 at 7:36 PM, watermelen671 said:

Klei does care, have you tried maybe DM-ing them? They won't bite your head off, and they do respond. They just try to avoid directly involving themselves with topics, because it tends to be a definitive black or white answer and stunts conversation as a result. Also if you're so concerned over this, maybe post it in the bug tracker?

No they don't, to console player at least! for me, I tried to contact most of them who work for DST. guess what? NO RESPOND even though it shown as read, but finally after spamming their DM only one answered me after multiple messages, telling me it's my fault for putting items next to each other! "not exact words"!

Ahahah, "bug tracker" yeah right dude, it's really a good place for fan to post their bug to dev to fix, you should visit a console bug forum from time to time and see how many post pending and how many fixed! but to satisfy you here is the exact bug as OP, posted to THE """ bug tracker""" from august 26!!  5 months ago!

and here OP,

they only fixed bug that a really game breaker for all player but what about us? the people who love the game and spend hours and hours of gameplay and after they reach 1000+ the game stop working! this is tricky from Klei they give us a game which only accessible for 1000 days! after that you need to delete your world and start over??! THEY SHOULD WRITE THIS ON GAME DESCRIPTION ON STORE PAGE! so me and the OP and all the players who has this bug to stop moaning! but hey dude, we are sorry for posting this everywhere and to the devs for disrupting them from making new games which eventually they port to console with bugs and problems.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:36 PM, watermelen671 said:

On PC there are mods which drastically reduce lag in longer running worlds, but since that's not possible for you guys, I do have some recommendations:

Please read the post! we can't access our world let alone to deal with lag! we are happy with lag believe me, if we are able to access our world again!!

but since that's not possible for you guys

what? "Oh hey pal we are sorry you bought our broken port game for 28$, but this game unfortunately not possible for you guys! so you have only to play it for 1000 days and then the app will crash and won't let you in!" so according to you why you port a game with an engine that's run only on PC? this make no sense and it's not an excuse!!

1 minute ago, mzajy said:

No they don't, to console player at least! for me, I tried to contact most of them who work for DST. guess what? NO RESPOND even though it shown as read, but finally after spamming their DM only one answered me after multiple messages, telling me it's my fault for putting items next to each other! "not exact words"!

They're on break dude. It's not their fault that they've got families to return to for the holidays. They'll be back in 2018, so let them enjoy some well deserved time in the sunlight, they desperately need it.

Keep in mind that each patch has to go through an approval process for their respective consoles, so that can delay things as well.

There are also just some things they simply cannot optimize; like the lag that is brought on by an un-optimized base that the game's engine is unable to efficiently render. Those console games that are like this and are able to run smooth as butter? Those were probably optimized that way from the start, with porting to console in mind. Don't Starve Together was NOT planned in any way shape or form; they had to rebuild the game from the ground up in order to support everything they needed for PC. Then there were people who wouldn't stop whining for them to release it for console players. So they ported it over to console.

The engine that DST runs on is NOT optimized for consoles, it was optimized for a more free reign modding type environment that PCs allow.

If they were to really crack down and try to permanently fix those problems, they'd have to rebuild the game over again, and use a console optimized engine. Which would take an astronomical amount of time, money, and manpower which they could be putting into making new games. So unless you make a kickstarter to help fund that, and are able to gather a small team of devs to do that, you're kinda SOL for the time being.

7 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

They're on break dude. It's not their fault that they've got families to return to for the holidays. They'll be back in 2018, so let them enjoy some well deserved time in the sunlight, they desperately need it.

Sorry, didn't know that Christmas start 5 months ago! my bad! have great holiday!

8 hours ago, Axxxel said:

If you have ps plus, can you try to download previous save where the game is on earlier stage and still working? Like that you can prevent the crash. I didn't try it, but it's an idea :)

Yes, I was doing this method, but after time the PSplus upload the damage save file to the cloud! but knowing Klei really well, I have 2 copy of my saving file one on cloud and the other on USB. but unfortunately this solve nothing! because after days of playing the crash will eventually occur!

Thanks for caring pal!

Message developer they will help. I had prob with my game was on 956 days everytime i loaded game it would load then crash after 10 sec or just Wouldn't even load up world, ur have 2 put ur save on usb and email save file 4 them 2 look at they did it 4 me. Put post in bug form 

Ive have been dealing with this for a while now, and this is what i have learned. The more things present the more lag.

I had a grass gecko farm (at least 50), bee boxes (20), mole farm, (20-30 maybe)....i would walk through my base and slide from lag all the way through it. The more people i brought in, the worse it got as well. So i decided to move my gardens, grass geckos, mushroom planters to the caves, and just eliminate the mole farm and bee boxes altogether. 

Its kinda sad that these are measures that must be taken but it does help

My world is around 5200ish... this same world crashed a few months ago out of the blue when I was at 4k ish days and caused a terrible error (corrupted date, delete save data) I was so pissed, I really love the map I got but had no choice but delete my saved data in order to run DST, it wouldnt even let me start to play, it will always show the corrupted data sign and cannot play unless I delete my saved data. I had no other choice but delete the saved data,.. I was really sad because it took me weeks to finish building my cave base (I play by myself) and then I remembered I had a early save data from PS Plus (I reloaded the saved data, it took me back to 700ish days, I was upset because I lost all the toadstool loots, a few krampus sacks, and other boss loot that I've farmed but I was happy at the same time that I was able to at least keep this map.. I had to refarm a lot of mats to first update my ground base, and then rebuild my cave base and refarm all the things I lost...

Ever since this happened, I have been backing up my saved data on my usb thumb drive, every week I usually upload my saved data to a thumb drive (I have my PS Plus saved data and 2 thumb drive with different saves).. just to be safe and not lose the entire progress again in case of another blue moon corrupted saved data.

All I can say is clean up as much as you can, random stuff on the floor can cause crashes :(

I wish we had commands to auto clean up rot, twigs from twig trees all over the map, bee stinger and other crap I randomly find around the map. PC players have commands to clean up stuff, wish we had that option. The only way for us to clean up is to go around the entire map and collect those stuff, kinda sucks imo. 

Archived