Too Many Showers!

My dupes are showering way, way too frequently. The problem is that I'm in the ice biome and it's slowly, but surely, melting all over the place. I'm doing the best I can to mop up the mess, but it's getting really problematic. Every time a dupe goes to mop up polluted water, he mops once, then discovers he's grimy and goes to shower. I can't see any way to reduce the priority of showers, but it's slowing the entire base to a crawl.

Is there a way to reduce showering frequency or priority?

7 minutes ago, alficles said:

My dupes are showering way, way too frequently. The problem is that I'm in the ice biome and it's slowly, but surely, melting all over the place. I'm doing the best I can to mop up the mess, but it's getting really problematic. Every time a dupe goes to mop up polluted water, he mops once, then discovers he's grimy and goes to shower. I can't see any way to reduce the priority of showers, but it's slowing the entire base to a crawl.

Is there a way to reduce showering frequency or priority?

Disable them, burn their clothes, turn the heating up and cut off the water supply - it's your only hope! 

God speed, mucky one.

The solution to this particular annoyance requires micromanagement, but denying them access to the showers via door permission will keep them in the field.  Just make sure they have access to an outhouse/lavatory somewhere else and remember to give them access to the showers once the job is complete.

Yeah, that was my first thought. How, though? I can turn off the water, but that only affects the shower-after-next. And for public showers, one person can wind up taking all the day's showers. I might could lock the door, but that could turn ugly if I lock it while it's in use.

Did it the same way but with an OR Gate and weight plates. If a dupe is showering and the door close, he cannot out.

Timer from 0% to 10% and the door open through the timer OR the weight plates. So everyone can go out and is not trapped.

PS: The nonstop showering should be fixed through the devs. Once per day is enough.

4 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

Did it the same way but with an OR Gate and weight plates. If a dupe is showering and the door close, he cannot out.

Timer from 0% to 10% and the door open through the timer OR the weight plates. So everyone can go out and is not trapped.

PS: The nonstop showering should be fixed through the devs. Once per day is enough.

Turn the one door to an exit only, dupe can always get out but can only get in during the timers limit.

We discussed this a while ago when automation first came out. The current system I find best is to every day allow a numbers of showers equal to the number of dupes. So a counter is reset every morning, counts the number of dupes going into the showers and locks the door after a set number of showers.

What you need for this to work is a binary counter and an XOR comparator. Both are already described on the forum.

I mainly use showers as fixed temperature source that is adjustable. You adjust the shower temperature to the output water temperature you want and make sure they're used enough for the amount of throughput water you want. At the moment they have no other use in the game as being Grimey really has no effect.

13 hours ago, alficles said:

Yeah, that was my first thought. How, though? I can turn off the water, but that only affects the shower-after-next. And for public showers, one person can wind up taking all the day's showers. I might could lock the door, but that could turn ugly if I lock it while it's in use.

There's no need to lock the door, just change the door's permission to allow exiting but not entering the room and you're good to go.

4 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I mainly use showers as fixed temperature source that is adjustable. You adjust the shower temperature to the output water temperature you want and make sure they're used enough for the amount of throughput water you want. At the moment they have no other use in the game as being Grimey really has no effect.

This.  Use showers to convert 90C water to 30C PW which you can then turn into 40C regular water.  Or if you need natural gas use them to generator PW for burning.

Otherwise just turn the showers off; they have no effect on dups but consume large amounts of water.

We've already established that if your shower room has access on both sides, then only permitting exit through one door, and a time lock on the other would work. 

13 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Left most door is set to only allow exit, rightmost door is locked on the time sensor that you set.

1% of the cycle equates to 6 seconds, so how long you give them to shower is upto you :)  

If however your shower room only has one access point, then you'll need to use something like a combination of door permissions/checkpoint logic/timers to achieve the same results.

You could also approach from a different angle and have your water pipe be connected to a liquid cut off that is also toggled on/off with a timer, then govern the amount of water you want to provide by the length of pipe connecting to the showers.

image.thumb.png.9abe241be01147a97ee77f31958aafc7.png

image.thumb.png.7fa7311b4d7822dbde77f8534264f144.png

1 hour ago, chemie said:

This.  Use showers to convert 90C water to 30C PW which you can then turn into 40C regular water.  Or if you need natural gas use them to generator PW for burning.

Otherwise just turn the showers off; they have no effect on dups but consume large amounts of water.

It's a little bit cheating :D Why u not using the aquacooler ?

9 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

It's a little bit cheating :D Why u not using the aquacooler ?

While I personally agree that taking advantage of fixed temperature outputs feels like cheating, apparently the devs have stated it is intentional.  Which is sad, but a fact of life.

As for not using the Aquatuner, it takes a certain level of infrastructure to facilitate the function of the Aquatuner.  It displaces such a huge quantity of heat that you just account for, and either negate it (Weezeworts or new HydroCrystalCooler) or channel it to a useful process (boiler setups, basically).

If u put the aquatuner under oil (don't do it with water), the heat output is not really noticeable.  The aquatuner can run for hours and the oil temperature is nearly the same as before. I have 4 of them in the oil tank. They are fully automated and enabled's or not, if the water temperature is higher or lesser. Try it. Power isn't a problem in the game I think. :)

16 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

While I personally agree that taking advantage of fixed temperature outputs feels like cheating, apparently the devs have stated it is intentional.  Which is sad, but a fact of life.

I think this mainly stems from the fact that a huge amount of heat energy is spontaneously being added to the game world via steam geysers, natural gas geysers, and power generators. Without some way to delete heat energy from the universe (wheezeworts, and set-temperature output buildings) you would inevitably suffer heat death no matter how well you designed your base.

In any case, that's the rationalization I use to not feel guilty. :D

19 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

I disagree that this is sad. It makes a whole lot of sense, especially on chemical devices like the electrolyzer and the skimmer. Those devices simulate chemical reactions (that use up energy / are endothermic). Them having a fixed temperature output is a simplification needed to simulate that. The shower one is even more obvious as it moves water through the thing, so if you heat/cool the thing the water will get hotter/cooler as well.

7 hours ago, clickrush said:

The shower one is even more obvious as it moves water through the thing, so if you heat/cool the thing the water will get hotter/cooler as well.

I guess it is true if we imagine internal piping in the shower, and that the intake is abissalyte and output is made of diamond ;)

In fact, if anyone wants to be a purist about it, just don't use abissalyte pipes, and you won't have heat disappearing (as the shower will be the same temperature as the intake water)

On 20.11.2017 at 4:05 AM, Lifegrow said:

Or use automation to only permit access to them for 2% of the day ;) 

WE'VE JUST HAD AN AUTOMATION UPDATE GUYS, CMON NOW! :p 

With traffic control they will just stand by and wait until they're allowed to pass. So no, this doesn't work.

Archived