Automation Water Lock

Before automation I was using Gas Pump between Mechanized Airlocks as a way to separate two areas with gases I didn't want to mix.

Old.png.bf44ead3b0ed9f995951ed0d1ce5b5ce.png

I revised it in Automation Upgrade. (In case you watched Brothgar vid, this is what he tried to create).New.thumb.png.c762e4248d5d55ebb78c760123f6857e.png

Small description:

I wanted to create vacuum between doors as quickly as possible, so I'm using water to push them upwards, where my Gas Pump sends them away to filter.

The whole process is initiated by floor switch being triggered by dupe(s) (multiple presses are fool-proofed by 'hold' state of the SR AND-OR latch) and lasts 12s on slow speed.

All buffers are set to 1s and filters to 2s except the ones circled in red (filter 5s, buffer 2s). 

Save file if you'd want to tinker waterlock.sav 

26 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

@Lifegrow When you pause the game in the vid at 1:29 the hydro sensor is active while the chamber is being flooded leaving the checkpoints open.

Aye, that was before I'd fine tuned the buffer on my AND gate. The video was uploaded as an "idea" as it said in the video description.

Truth be told, for it to be completely fail-proof, I'd probably run a second circuit with a second set of checkpoints - but I didn't bother to as I figured people would understand it was a concept, and not a fully polished build :D 

Clearly not. Still, it inspired you eh? 

Good work, bud.

14 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

@LifegrowAs I was brushing my teeth I just realized that your 'waterlock' can be simplified to this. Sorry! ;)

Life.png.0fcca893f013ac416d465c49826915b8.png

Think you may have missed the purpose of my video, which is odd considering how closely your design resembles the one i'd posted on youtube many hours earlier - but no matter, i'll explain to you the idea that you adopted :) 

The thought behind this was to use liquids to create a vacuum using minimal power, i.e. in my design I start with a 9 tile vacuum, which then increases to a 21 tile vacuum using nothing but liquids and gravity. Any gas that enters the system is then compressed back into a 9 tile space and quickly pumped away to re-prime. I used a larger space than necessary to demonstrate this visually (I didn't "need" to use 6 airlocks to drain it, I didn't "need" to use gas perms, nor multiple pumps).

The main chamber can be cut down to a single vertical airlock beneath a "v" shaped floor like the traditional water locks we've all seen/used, but again, this wasn't the idea/concept I was exploring. Your builds main chamber of 20 tiles could be reduced to 5 tiles had you been approaching this from a min/max stance.

*edit*: Same principle as this, however using naphtha makes the "v" cut out unnecessary - which is very sleek. Courtesy of @Saturnus2017-11-20.png

Yes my build could (and should) be smaller, yes i'm sure the logic could be far cleaner, and yes i'm positive it can be improved upon all round - I didn't claim it was a finished "ultimate" build, merely the first iteration of an idea.

I wont be revisiting this build, because i'm not obsessive and I created what I set out to build - then I shared it with folks on my discord and youtube, and obviously yourself. Hope you enjoy tinkering with it, see you on stream xox

18 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Truth be told, for it to be completely fail-proof, I'd probably run a second circuit with a second set of checkpoints - but I didn't bother to as I figured people would understand it was a concept, and not a fully polished build :D 

Clearly not. Still, it inspired you eh? 

18 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

The video was uploaded as an "idea" as it said in the video description.

15 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Think you may have missed the purpose of my video, which is odd considering how closely your design resembles the one i'd posted on youtube many hours earlier - but no matter, i'll explain to you the idea that you adopted :) 

@Lifegrow OK, first off you didn't inspire me. Neither did Brothgar (here's his video from week ago). I haven't seen your morning stream, YT vid on forums here doesn't have a description, and I'm not sure why you replied with your video, as you're trying to do something entirely different (something which can be done with 2 doors and a gas pump - exactly what my old build was). The "idea I adopted" was from reddit thread from 14 days ago, but thanks for mansplaining.

All I wanted to do is improve on my old way of connecting my base to rest of meteor. It was OK enough but slow and/or leaking gases.

I don't want my dupes getting wet, going through vertical columns of liquid, I don't want to delete gases or liquid.

I've done all that and wanted to share. If you have any ideas how to improve it I'm all ears.

TLDR don't hijack threads to boast about your YT/stream.

1 minute ago, Grimgaw said:

@Lifegrow OK, first off you didn't inspire me. Neither did Brothgar (here's his video from week ago). I haven't seen your morning stream, YT vid on forums here doesn't have a description, and I'm not sure why you replied with your video, as you're trying to do something entirely different (something which can be done with 2 doors and a gas pump - exactly what my old build was). The "idea I adopted" was from reddit thread from 14 days ago, but thanks for mansplaining.

All I wanted to do is improve on my old way of connecting my base to rest of meteor. It was OK enough but slow and/or leaking gases.

I don't want my dupes getting wet, going through vertical columns of liquid, I don't want to delete gases or liquid.

I've done all that and wanted to share. If you have any ideas how to improved I'm all ears.

TLDR don't hijack threads to boast about your YT/stream.

Wasn't here to boast, I didn't create this thread showcasing somebody elses idea - you did. ;) 

My initial response to your post was :

20 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Looks like the same principle I was tinkering with this morning Grim - good work :)

I praised your idea, then supplied my own take on it. Your reaction to this? Try and take my build apart and be a smarmy bawbag in the process :D 

Again, I've dealt with you before on stream, you act like a child there too.

Nice thread, we get some neat automation ideas and some internet drama to spice it up!

I feel like the idea is neat and well executed, it is too much and too slow. In my current run I just completely avoid problems like that by having a small living area, where the dupes only sleep, eat etc. while the rest of the base is only accessible with atmo suits, so water locks become a small issue.

5 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Nice thread, we get some neat automation ideas and some internet drama to spice it up!

I feel like the idea is neat and well executed, it is too much and too slow. In my current run I just completely avoid problems like that by having a small living area, where the dupes only sleep, eat etc. while the rest of the base is only accessible with atmo suits, so water locks become a small issue.

It has some uses, but certainly not for your main entrance/exit from the base - as you so rightly say there are better options for that. My thinking was more for severe temperature areas, i.e. near magma - hence the use of crude oil or naptha I suppose.

Archived