We REALLY need the vote kick for the Forge

FreyaMaluk

So, in one public Forge server for people on lv 50+ deathless run, we encounter a very trolly individual that would constantly refused to leave and he clearly said to us openly he wanted to troll our community. He insulted me, threatened me, started to spam numbers, letters in chat etc.

Since this troll didn't wanted to leave, we decided to stand our ground and ignore him until he would leave. We didn't wanted to look for other people in other lobby cuz some of us know each other and we wanted to play together. It took about 15 minutes but after ignoring him and refusing to start the match with him, he finally left.

I did reported him in Steam, but this problem would have been easily solved if the Forge had a vote kick button. The reality, whether Klei wants to ignored it or not, is that public servers are plagued with trolls and players are powerless in the Forge against them, specially if you are playing with random people, which is the majority of people at least in my case. This is specially problematic in custom servers to play with one or two friends and the rest with others, but you cannot take any measures to stop these people unless you decided to close the server and hope the same random don't show up again.

And this is not the first time I experienced something like that In the Forge forums. This happens every single day I play at least twice.

So, please, please devs, please. Include a VOTE KICK button. (democratic)

I included down here a link with some of the things this character had to say and I expect that the devs can include the kick button ASAP

EDIT (removed pics, cuz against forums policies)

I don't know about adding a kick button, sure its frustrating when you got a troll. But I'd imagine a kick button would be abused by elitists/"those people that just kick people for no reason despite having the server public"/salty people and make it difficult to find/play forge servers (especially if you're lower level). 

Also pretty sure that showing those screens is against the "don't make threads about specific people" rule.

On 19.11.2017 at 1:43 AM, DarkKingBoo said:

I don't know about adding a kick button, sure its frustrating when you got a troll. But I'd imagine a kick button would be abused by elitists/"those people that just kick people for no reason despite having the server public"/salty people and make it difficult to find/play forge servers (especially if you're lower level). 

Also pretty sure that showing those screens is against the "don't make threads about specific people" rule.

but then this can be the same argument for normal DST. It doesn't make any difference really. Please don't defend the lack of a feature that really needs to be implemented just cuz some people might abuse it. Besides, if all vote to kick someone there are reasons for that. 90% of the time is cuz trolls, which is actually the point of this thread.

Besides, if you are a noob your better play is creating own custom servers. Otherwise is gonna be real hard to find people to play with., but that's another topic really.

Easy solution to the "it will be abused" theory - 4 out of 6 people (or over 50% vote of current player population) all must vote to kick someone before they can be kicked, this way the majority of the lobby is kicking players and not just 1 or 2 people. If you are in a lobby where more than 3 people are kicking for no reason then you would be better off finding a different lobby anyways right? With these rules you are either finding lobbies with people who have rules and are enforcing them (level requirements, language requirements) or you found a lobby full of trolls/jerks and you'd be wasting your time staying around anyways. The only way a singular person could abuse this is if they had multiple accounts and occupied half (3) of the player slots, but I find it unlikely anyone would waste their time doing this.

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

but then this can be the same argument for normal DST. It doesn't make any difference really. Please don't defend a feature that really needs to be implemented just cuz some people might abuse it. Besides, if all vote to kick someone there are reasons for that. 90% of the time is cuz trolls, which is actually the point of this thread.

Besides, if you are a noob your better play is creating own custom servers. Otherwise is gonna be real hard to find people to play with., but that's another topic really.

Difference here being is that you can play survival without other players. Forge requires you to have at least 4 people to even have a chance of completing it, not everyone has friends who play DST or wants to play Forge. I don't think newer players should be "punished" for being new and have to create a lobby and wait several minutes to play Forge.

Vote kicks are better, but that isn't what you suggested. Your post implied having the "host" have the power to just kick people (unless I misread in which case I'm sorry), which not only trolls will take advantage of, any player who is just tired of newbies or is salty from losing will try to kick those players, there are more of those people than trolls. I'd be fine with Vote kicks.

Maybe I'm not being unlucky as you are and I just can't relate. I've encountered only one "troll" even since Forge came out, but I've encountered numerous players that get very salty about low level players or just losing in general. I just worry that it'll be like Payday pubs, where you'll get kicked based off a level or just no reason at all. But I suppose I'm just exaggerating.

1 hour ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

Easy solution to the "it will be abused" theory - 4 out of 6 people (or over 50% vote of current player population) all must vote to kick someone before they can be kicked, this way the majority of the lobby is kicking players and not just 1 or 2 people. If you are in a lobby where more than 3 people are kicking for no reason then you would be better off finding a different lobby anyways right? With these rules you are either finding lobbies with people who have rules and are enforcing them (level requirements, language requirements) or you found a lobby full of trolls/jerks and you'd be wasting your time staying around anyways. The only way a singular person could abuse this is if they had multiple accounts and occupied half (3) of the player slots, but I find it unlikely anyone would waste their time doing this.

sorry I didnt get what you mean with "lobby." I'll assume you meant server.

what about when you play with 1 ot two friends and make you server public and then a troll comes to your game? Do you think is ok that you have to leave your custom server cuz a random don't wanna leave and have to create another one and have to hope to find nice random people again in your same level and playstyle? Moreover, is it really hard to aks that people can discuss strats and speak the same language?

and in my case described in OP and in other cases I didn't mention in detail, are clear cases of people that just trolled or even left after starting the match.

having the right to prevent loosing the chance to play with some nice people you found shouldn't be a problem at all while avoiding trolls

problem is also you might wanna create a server for these people you found but then you need to befriend them on steam and secret messaging them to create anoter server without letting the troll know password in the chat. I think that the logical and simple solution is giving people the right to decide if they wanna play with someone or not

7 minutes ago, DarkKingBoo said:

Vote kicks are better, but that isn't what you suggested.

please read the title

I don't like this but then it should be done

another thing is by adding this you will cause more cancer, hence why we must not have votekick in The Forge. Like come on. If you guys have a troll then add all the team mates that did good except the troll and host a private one and try to do your runs, plus if you can't seriously carry a noob at least teach him, I kind of found myself like this pretty much you start sounding like a ****, teach the player and recently more new players are starting to like DST but we ruin the fun for them because we have to act like a elitist. when I was joining high rank servers and we get this level 5-20 guy and blame him for playing Wendy, Willow using fire staff because they think Maxwell is bad (tbh I hate Wendy and Willow probably because they are useless most of the times and mainly should be kite classes only), like I'm not even gonna joke here but since this update came out and I saw how it affected me a bit and the community, some people started acting like @EdgyRick (sorry for calling you out here) and start acting like elitists. just teach the player how to play the game well, but when it comes to a troll sure just mute and report the damn wanker on steam and just invite all your friends or recent players that were good in your last game to your lobby. also why not just ask here and try to get buddies up from the forums to help you out on your no death run, I would be up for some forge and help you on the no death run. 

I just don't want to wait for more than 15 min before we can start the arena anymore... (a run in the Forge is like 50% of waiting then 50% of playing).

Yes, there are new players that should be able to get help on how you play in the Forge but well, not in my server... I'm 100+ I want to have fun with skilled players, I have no desire to teach newbies again and again or wait for a low-level troll to leave the lobby.

Yes, we definitely need a kick button in the lobby, your server your rules simple as that.

I'm tired of writing lines and lines of text in lobby trying to convince that level 20 is not a 40+ player...
There are a lot of Forge servers, enough for every levels.. so why just people don't just join the right servers in the 1st place? Furthermore, you can also create your own server.

On 19.11.2017 at 8:44 AM, MrDeepDarkmind said:

I don't like this but then it should be done

another thing is by adding this you will cause more cancer, hence why we must not have votekick in The Forge. Like come on. If you guys have a troll then add all the team mates that did good except the troll and host a private one and try to do your runs, plus if you can't seriously carry a noob at least teach him, I kind of found myself like this pretty much you start sounding like a ****, teach the player and recently more new players are starting to like DST but we ruin the fun for them because we have to act like a elitist. when I was joining high rank servers and we get this level 5-20 guy and blame him for playing Wendy, Willow using fire staff because they think Maxwell is bad (tbh I hate Wendy and Willow probably because they are useless most of the times and mainly should be kite classes only), like I'm not even gonna joke here but since this update came out and I saw how it affected me a bit and the community, some people started acting like @EdgyRick (sorry for calling you out here) and start acting like elitists. just teach the player how to play the game well, but when it comes to a troll sure just mute and report the damn wanker on steam and just invite all your friends or recent players that were good in your last game to your lobby. also why not just ask here and try to get buddies up from the forums to help you out on your no death run, I would be up for some forge and help you on the no death run. 

Did you read my post at all? OP is not about elitism or underleveled people. Is about trolls completely taking over servers. That person in OP was level 24 at the time, but that had nothing to do with that. He just started to insult, threaten people for no reason.  You are mixing your personal experiences here with some other stuff unrelated to OP's intention.

I'm not an elitists and in my custom servers underleveled people can come and learn, but if you specifically ask for people for a deathless match (it wasn't my custom server, but it was a custom anyways) and if you encounter a troll then picking a random character and openly trolling why should you be the entire group the one bothered to take extra steps to ensure healthy gameplay by closing your own server and befriending people and secret messaging? It makes more sense just to vote kick that person out that just starting all over again and waiting for nice people to play with. Why if you found nice 5 people, should you leave for one person --- 5/1. Is that fair? 

It applies the same logic normal DST servers have. Why should this be any different? Is there a logical reason to allow trolls power over the majority of the group in the Forge? If that person kick a character you cannot even vore to start with 5 pleayers cuz he counts as one already.

Please.. this is specific to bullies and trolls taking over a server.. don't mix your personal feelings towards other players you are accusing of being elitist in OP. It has NOTHING to do with OP's situation at all. It has to do with people clearly and openly breaking a server.

And sure, you can probs find people in the forums to play with for specific a specific goal (again it was not my server I had all achievements already at the time and I just wanted to help the person to get the achiev). The Forge system already provides the chance to find quickly players for that kinda of achievements via creating your own rules in your own custom servers, which is actually the point of creating a custom server anyways

This is a regular problem in public dedicated servers. The game is simply optimal for private servers with friends.

Same with the forge. Only solution I can see is match newbies up with newbies, match pros up with pros. Adding a level requirement for some servers can't be too disastrous and easily abused like a votekick system.

51 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Did you read my post at all? OP is not about elitism or underleveled people. Is about trolls completely taking over servers. That person in OP was level 24 at the time. You are mixing you personal experiences here with some other stuff unrelated to OP's intention.

I'm not an elitists and in my custom servers underleveled people can come and learn, but if you specifically ask for people for a deathless match (it wasn't my custom server, but it was a custom anyways) and if you encounter a troll then picking a random character and openly trolling why should you be the entire group the one bothered to take extra steps to ensure healthy gameplay by closing your own server and befriending people and secret messaging? It makes more sense just to vote kick that person out that just starting all over again and waiting for nice people to play with. Why if you found nice 5 people, should you leave for one person --- 5/1. Is that fair? 

It applies the same logic normal DST servers have. Why should this be any different? Is there a logical reason to allow trolls power over the majority of the group in the Forge? If that person kick a character you cannot even vore to start with 5 pleayers cuz he counts as one already.

Please.. this is specific to bullies and trolls taking over a server.. don't mix your personal feelings towards other players you are accusing of being elitist in OP. It has NOTHING to do with OP's situation at all. It has to do with people clearly and openly breaking a server.

And sure, you can probs find people in the forums to play with for specific a specific goal (again it was not my server I had all achievements already at the time and I just wanted to help the person to get the achiev). The Forge system already provides the chance to find quickly players for that kinda of achievements via creating your own rules in your own custom servers, which is actually the point of creating a custom server anyways

Yeah I did

You got a troll and he didn't leave for 15 mins then you guys ignored him and he left.

You guys simply can just host a new one and make it passworded to invite buds, but overall  5 man teams works, I did 5 man like 4 times and don't see a difference, but since this is deathless yes I would agree that 5 man team is pretty bad. good thing you reported the guy on steam. 

but adding a Vote kick system will make the Forge gamemode a bit worse, like for serious people it would be nice but then you would get a group of people that will kick you before you get your XP when you win. do you want to get kicked when you defeated boarrior and find out that you got kicked for no reason at all. Man adding a votekick system sure does sound nice doesn't it. If you played other games that has similarities to Forge like Tf2 Mann vs Machine or Dungeon Defenders you will sure have a person who will votekick you for no reason and everyone will vote yes. I mean sure 15 mins wasted on one guy but heck these deathless runs and gold runs made me waste like more than 15 mins in lobby because team has to strategize the whole plan for each wave and especially the summons for Boarrior. Also if you thought I didn't read your post why did you think I posted here in the first place, Probably just to waste my time here ******* around but, the answer is I just think a Votekick system is a gamble, sure people will love it but then you got others who will hate it on forge because they can't play a character they like, gets kicked doing one simple mistake, or people just love kicking at the end

sure I like the idea but this is one of those Fifty Fifty gambles, It becomes good and it becomes bad at the same time.

(P.S sorry for the cussing)

I've met a lot of trolls and jerks on these server. I don't always mind teaching newbies how to play, but sometimes I just want to win. Sometimes I don't want to worry about folks, and I want to trust that my runner can draw agro, or that my healer can sleep the gosh darn boarirroir. So yeah, I like to play with high levels, and it sucks when low levels come in. I realize that there is no way to prevent that beyond a password that anyone can see and use, so I actually let a lot of low levels into my server if they know what they are doing. I ask them a few questions, ask if they are willing to listen to us if we tell them something, and you know what? They tend to comply, but then there are those who don't. Because just as many times I have run into someone who is willing to listen, I also run into someone who can't listen, or worse yet, refuses to listen and take advice.

Say we have a great team, a tank, a healer, a dps mage, a wilson, and a runner. There will always be some troll who comes in and decided to double the wickers, when we already have a wicker and maxwell. We don't need three staff users, and I have actually run into whole lobbies trying to politely convince people to just stop and leave, or at the very least pick another role! But they won't, and you know why? Because they love to see us grind our teeth and know we can't do anything about it.

Since looking at these forums I have noticed a lot of distaste for newbs, and because of that I decided I might as well join a few newbie servers and help out now and again. The difference is, I don't go in there expecting to win. Do I try to win? Of course! But I don't expect to win the moment I team up with a bunch of people who have played the forge a maximum of 4 times. When I make a server saying "40+, deathless run" However, I do expect to win, so it really angers me to see a bunch of trolls, or low levels who refuse to take some advice from ANYONE (even when we are super nice about it) just pop in and ruin this great team of 5 because they are actually a troll.

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized, I typed it up real quick before heading off to work.

1 hour ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

Yeah I did

You got a troll and he didn't leave for 15 mins then you guys ignored him and he left.

You guys simply can just host a new one and make it passworded to invite buds, but overall  5 man teams works, I did 5 man like 4 times and don't see a difference, but since this is deathless yes I would agree that 5 man team is pretty bad. good thing you reported the guy on steam. 

but adding a Vote kick system will make the Forge gamemode a bit worse, like for serious people it would be nice but then you would get a group of people that will kick you before you get your XP when you win. do you want to get kicked when you defeated boarrior and find out that you got kicked for no reason at all. Man adding a votekick system sure does sound nice doesn't it. If you played other games that has similarities to Forge like Tf2 Mann vs Machine or Dungeon Defenders you will sure have a person who will votekick you for no reason and everyone will vote yes. I mean sure 15 mins wasted on one guy but heck these deathless runs and gold runs made me waste like more than 15 mins in lobby because team has to strategize the whole plan for each wave and especially the summons for Boarrior. Also if you thought I didn't read your post why did you think I posted here in the first place, Probably just to waste my time here ******* around but, the answer is I just think a Votekick system is a gamble, sure people will love it but then you got others who will hate it on forge because they can't play a character they like, gets kicked doing one simple mistake, or people just love kicking at the end

sure I like the idea but this is one of those Fifty Fifty gambles, It becomes good and it becomes bad at the same time.

(P.S sorry for the cussing)

again we couldn't vote to start with 5 players cuz he was already there

and if it is a feature in the normal game, why is this bad in the Forge all of the sudden? 

1 hour ago, FluffyDoomMonster said:

I've met a lot of trolls and jerks on these server. I don't always mind teaching newbies how to play, but sometimes I just want to win. Sometimes I don't want to worry about folks, and I want to trust that my runner can draw agro, or that my healer can sleep the gosh darn boarirroir. So yeah, I like to play with high levels, and it sucks when low levels come in. I realize that there is no way to prevent that beyond a password that anyone can see and use, so I actually let a lot of low levels into my server if they know what they are doing. I ask them a few questions, ask if they are willing to listen to us if we tell them something, and you know what? They tend to comply, but then there are those who don't. Because just as many times I have run into someone who is willing to listen, I also run into someone who can't listen, or worse yet, refuses to listen and take advice.

Say we have a great team, a tank, a healer, a dps mage, a wilson, and a runner. There will always be some troll who comes in and decided to double the wickers, when we already have a wicker and maxwell. We don't need three staff users, and I have actually run into whole lobbies trying to politely convince people to just stop and leave, or at the very least pick another role! But they won't, and you know why? Because they love to see us grind our teeth and know we can't do anything about it.

Since looking at these forums I have noticed a lot of distaste for newbs, and because of that I decided I might as well join a few newbie servers and help out now and again. The difference is, I don't go in there expecting to win. Do I try to win? Of course! But I don't expect to win the moment I team up with a bunch of people who have played the forge a maximum of 4 times. When I make a server saying "40+, deathless run" However, I do expect to win, so it really angers me to see a bunch of trolls, or low levels who refuse to take some advice from ANYONE (even when we are super nice about it) just pop in and ruin this great team of 5 because they are actually a troll.

Sorry if this is a bit disorganized, I typed it up real quick before heading off to work.

why is this thread all of the sudden became NO NOOBIES thread. This is not what OP is about!

The best thing to do for now, and maybe test it would be to be able to kick afk ppl, some times you enter a Server with 1 or 2 ppl then it fills but the first person there ws afk the whole time so its hard to start it, and other time someone joins 3rd or 4th we wait a bit until its full the someone its afk. At least afk ppl could be kicked after 5minutes afk or something like that. Maybe just kick ppl who has not selected a character in an amount of time, so if someone wants to not be afk simply select one character and deselect it time to time if u still waiting.

Except sometimes people deliberately un-select their character in order to control the start of the game, so they can wait until everyone else has sorted out their roles and you don't get a match with three Wickerbottoms, a Webber, and two Willows.

I fully agree that we need a votekick to deal with trolls.  Most of the concerns raised about it are rare edge-cases at worst.  Kicked for no reason after a win?  You'd have to be in a majority-troll server, and coordinated trolls who play the long game, at that.  Abused to kick newbs?  It might happen, but even then it's better than waiting forever for an uncooperative and combative low-level player who refuses to leave (I saw one guy threaten to watch videos on YouTube so he could wait in the lobby all day).  The elitist conflict is already here; adding a vote-kick will at worst allow the majority to resolve it and move on. 

Also, for the record, the first time I won, we had a level 1 in our team.  A loss and a second win later, they were level 7.  I also joined a "50+" server at level 41, but I checked the players in the server before joining and saw it already had a 32 and a 46.  Turns out, we just had to correctly answer a strategy quiz to stay.  So no, I'm not particularly concerned that adding vote-kick to deal with trolls will heighten the elitism.

54 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

Except sometimes people deliberately un-select their character in order to control the start of the game, so they can wait until everyone else has sorted out their roles and you don't get a match with three Wickerbottoms, a Webber, and two Willows.

I fully agree that we need a votekick to deal with trolls.  Most of the concerns raised about it are rare edge-cases at worst.  Kicked for no reason after a win?  You'd have to be in a majority-troll server, and coordinated trolls who play the long game, at that.  Abused to kick newbs?  It might happen, but even then it's better than waiting forever for an uncooperative and combative low-level player who refuses to leave (I saw one guy threaten to watch videos on YouTube so he could wait in the lobby all day).  The elitist conflict is already here; adding a vote-kick will at worst allow the majority to resolve it and move on. 

Also, for the record, the first time I won, we had a level 1 in our team.  A loss and a second win later, they were level 7.  I also joined a "50+" server at level 41, but I checked the players in the server before joining and saw it already had a 32 and a 46.  Turns out, we just had to correctly answer a strategy quiz to stay.  So no, I'm not particularly concerned that adding vote-kick to deal with trolls will heighten the elitism.

Vote kick has a lot of pros

Here some cons i see:

Lot of ppl will vote kick low lvl ppl, i was low lvl too but i read guides watch videos i learned i am good at DST to solo everything so i learned the tactics the it was all easy for me, but for average chill ppl playing learning by diying high lvl ppl will kick them until they wipe at crocs every time until they reach at least lvl 20 to consistently get matchs. But i think klei doesnt want to do this so many ppl would stop playing cuz Forge would be too Elite players or Good at games, some ppl play DST to build bases and stuff where they no need real figthing skills that much.

Level requeriments has also pros

Here are some cons:

Even high lvl players can troll, rage quick, cry for equipment and just leave making things harder.

In my opinion this is the best option: Implement Vote kick on private servers only, so if ppl just want to play with friends just votekick, if high lvl ppl its asking for certain lvl they can just kick the low lvl one unless they ask for like 50+ and some 45lvl enter.

I would love for server-makers to be able to kick at will. I was on a Deathless Run server (lvl 40+), and 3 people under level 40 joined that did not listen to us at all, just choosing only Maxwell to spite us and not letting us do our run like we wanted. A kick option would be wonderful, or at the very least an option that checks people's levels before they join a high-level server.

Can't agree anymore, yeseterday played 10+ games,only won 2 or 3 times.

The problem is always have new guy ot un-skilled guy, The others want play with high level palyers but new guys never leave this server, and we have to waiting and waiting, doing nothing.

Why people don't want play with troll, because the Forge is difficult and error-tolerant rate is very  small, even a play's small fault can result in lose.

To win once will be diffcult for one play singular, think about it, you play the whole night palys, but due to the troll don't listen what he need to do ,and always make the teams dead, you shall be very angry.

4 hours ago, Jurgens said:

i've done several deathless as maxwell, the thing is not picking maxwell, its not listening or playing with the team.

It's less-so choosing Maxwell moreso we had a planned out comp for this run already. They just wanted to choose Maxwell cause they knew it would annoy us.

Archived