Abysallite cooling water

From what I understand, abysallite is supposed to be the ultimate insulator, not transferring heat in any way. However, it seems that when water touches cold abysallite, the water cools down, which in turn cools the surrounding environment. I was hoping someone could explain to me how this works, because I don't really know how the thermal conductivity and heat capacity is different here.

Cold abysallite.png

23 minutes ago, trukogre said:

I'm reasonably certain it generated as ice and then melted, actually.  ;)

Water isn't naturally part of the caustic biome so ice that spawned outside of the ice biome is the only way there could even be water in that area in the first place.

So with abyssalite it is an excellent thermal insulator but liquids in general have enough conductivity to overcome its resistivity, hence liquid oxygen builds either use a different material floor or wait for the abys to spal all of its heat off into the Lox

3 hours ago, Kabrute said:

So with abyssalite it is an excellent thermal insulator but liquids in general have enough conductivity to overcome its resistivity, hence liquid oxygen builds either use a different material floor or wait for the abys to spal all of its heat off into the Lox

Nope. There is no such mechanic for tile-to-tile transfer.

There may be something like this for tile-to-building (where "building" is NOT a tile/door) transfer, because plastic tile can overcome abyssalite pipe's low conductivity, but you need temperatures in thousands to notice any transfer between tile of water (steam in this case) and a tile of abyssalite - constructed or not.

tiles all transfer temperature........ we are missing each other somewhere but liquids definitely conduct through abysalite, and not at thousands of degrees, it seems to be driven by the melt/thaw point of the liquid involved, if the liquid is being applied where the abysalite is warmer than the liquids gas state the liquid pulls therms from the abysallite and converts to a gas.  I watch it happen all the time.  Usually the abysalite drops 10 degrees and 5k of Lox spalls to O2.  Seeing as I watch it occur I can confirm it is a mechanism active in the game.  Intended or not it is occuring.

1 hour ago, Kabrute said:

if the liquid is being applied where the abysalite is warmer than the liquids gas state the liquid pulls therms from the abysallite and converts to a gas.  I watch it happen all the time.  Usually the abysalite drops 10 degrees and 5k of Lox spalls to O2.

You may be right, there is some rather poorly understood (and poorly documented) mechanism that makes small bits of resource change phase if next to a much hotter tile. I've seen it happen to ice, plastic tiles, water and (in debug) rock.

I didn't see it happen with abyssalite, but it's plausible that this mechanism ignores temperature transfer rates.

I can confirm liquids transfer heat with raw abyssalite at a minimum. Made a cold biome much colder and liquified it's oxygen, all the tiles touching the oxygen changed temperature, the ones not directly touching the liquid remained unchanged.

Archived