Finding the ruins in DST

Anyone have any tips to find the ruins? Im trying to ruins rush as WX, I get everything ok, but I waste like 5 days looking for ruins entrance and when I get there im either starving or insane and being followed by numerous shadow creatures.

I know that I have to find the lichen and the muddy turf. All the info I have is mushroom forest > lightbulbs(muddy) > lichen > ruins. But this doesnt seem to be enough for me.

My problem is getting to the lichen. The caves are HUUUGE, and i always find loads of stalagmite biomes with many rock paths that lead to dead ends, and that really pisses me off

If i find the cave swamp, i normally double back cause its usually a dead end right? or am i totally wrong about that?

Can anyone help me?

The entrances tend to be at the edges of the cave maps in areas that branch out from the lightbulb field that leads to the ruins.  The more familiar you become with the typical cave map, the easier it will be for you to detect early on which direction leads toward the center of the map, where the lightbulb field is. There tend to be rocky turf bridges lead to it.

Yes, you were close, then you went past the light bulb field into what I call the Mushroom Wastes, because there is nothing good there. 

Once you find the light field, start mapping it’s edges. If you come to a bridge, it’s fine to follow it for a bit, but if it leads you to one of the exterior types of biome (green, mushrooms, bats, spiders), go back and continue mapping the muddy turf area. When you see lichen, you’ve found it. The entrance to the ruins is ALWAYS muddy turf with lichen. There may be a bridge leading to it from the main field, but when you run out of muddy turf, you’ve overshot your goal and are heading out to the opposite edge of the map from where you came in.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

That's because that area is technically the ruins already.

Just the part where the lichen starts, I though? The rest isn’t subject to the nightmare cycle. I always figure the ruins end when you get to the part of the muddy field where the colors stop changing

27 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Just the part where the lichen starts, I though? The rest isn’t subject to the nightmare cycle. I always figure the ruins end when you get to the part of the muddy field where the colors stop changing

It's kind of a modified wilds biome. It serves as a buffer between the ruins and caves seeing as they now share the same shard. So the nightmare cycle doesn't always effect the entire biome. In DS you wouldn't be able to find lichen or eel ponds outside of the ruins, so this is technically part of the ruins seeing as it has it still contains it's unique resources.

But I'm just nit-picking. It's not really much of a big deal.

Archived