Tank/Runner Woodie vs. Full Runner Woodie

Arcwell

Which method of playing Woodie is more effective?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of playing Woodie is more effective?

• Tank/Runner Woodie
    • Full Runner Woodie

From the gameplay I've seen, Woodie tends to be played one of two ways:

1. Take feathered wreath and splint mail/reed armor, then when Boarrior comes, switch to steadfast stone armor and blossomed wreath/flower headband (if it's there) and tank the guy.
  2. Go full time feathered wreath and splint mail/reed armor, stay out of range of Boarrior until it needs to be kited away. When kiting, time your lucy throw to interrupt his AoE attack (albeit a little harder since you have to account for travel time)

Obviously there's benefits to both.

With Tank/Runner Woodie, you free up a slot for more DPS/utility in your party, and constantly being in melee lets you spam your Lucy throw  which, if timed correctly, can cancel the Boarrior's attacks, saving your party from damage.

With Full Runner Woodie, you're mostly at full health, meaning that you can distract the Boarrior for much longer and much more effectively when you actually need to.

Which do you all think is the "superior" way to play Woodie? Obviously it's going to matter depending on what game you're in, but which would you prefer on your ideal team?

going 100% runner will waste a lot of time, the only mobs for the entire match you need to distract ideally is 2 boarillas

throwing lucy at the boarrior then running around is actually riskier and will just significantly slow your team down because the boarrior will move a lot

distracting him like that forces your entire team to keep moving instead of attacking and will cause the boarrior to easily deal with you by doing his lunge attack a few times

the boarrior never needs to be kited away, it's easier to deal with him if he isn't moving around all the time so everyone can just deal as much damage as possible

tank woodie is simply more useful especially with his ability to maintain aggro and dodge his attacks

5 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

throwing lucy at the boarrior then running around is actually riskier and will just significantly slow your team down because the boarrior will move a lot

I was referring to a Woodie that would stay out of range and not throw Lucy. It gimps the team's DPS with the idea of having a more stable fallback in case things go wrong.

6 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

the boarrior never needs to be kited away, it's easier to deal with him if he isn't moving around all the time so everyone can just deal as much damage as possible

"never" isn't true. There are plenty of instances where the Boarrior is caught on the edge but not quite in the heal field (even when using a corner), and keeping him there lets him unleash AoEs on the entire team trying to heal. There are also situations where a stray AoE or two can kill the healer, in which case kiting the Boarrior away from the corpse may be necessary. Of course, both of these situations can be prevented by a tank Woodie cancelling attacks, and I do very much believe he is better at the tank role. Yet, those cancels aren't entirely consistent, so saying the Boarrior never needs to be kited simply isn't true.

10 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

I was referring to a Woodie that would stay out of range and not throw Lucy. It gimps the team's DPS with the idea of having a more stable fallback in case things go wrong.

Then you're effectively playing with 5/6 players in that case.

10 minutes ago, Arcwell said:

"never" isn't true. There are plenty of instances where the Boarrior is caught on the edge but not quite in the heal field (even when using a corner), and keeping him there lets him unleash AoEs on the entire team trying to heal. There are also situations where a stray AoE or two can kill the healer, in which case kiting the Boarrior away from the corpse may be necessary. Of course, both of these situations can be prevented by a tank Woodie cancelling attacks, and I do very much believe he is better at the tank role. Yet, those cancels aren't entirely consistent, so saying the Boarrior never needs to be kited simply isn't true.

Ranged players should never get hit anyway, and if they do, it's because of poor positioning. And of course, there are times when you need to move the Boarrior if things go wrong, but what I'm talking about is constantly kiting him and causing him to move. Moving him around when your team doesn't need to will do more bad than good. If you do need to move him, it's going to be coordinated instead of the Woodie just mindlessly throwing his axe and running away from the team. I think this is more of a problem of what 'kiting' means to different people, as I may define it differently from you.

1 minute ago, JohnWatson said:

Ranged players should never get hit anyway, and if they do, it's because of poor positioning. And of course, there are times when you need to move the Boarrior if things go wrong, but what I'm talking about is constantly kiting him and causing him to move. Moving him around when your team doesn't need to will do more bad than good. If you do need to move him, it's going to be coordinated instead of the Woodie just mindlessly throwing his axe and running away from the team. I think this is more of a problem of what 'kiting' means to different people, as I may define it differently from you.

Ranged characters can and do get hit by the Boarrior's AoE attack since cancelling each and every one of them is nearly impossible. And again, I'm not trying to say that kiting him around is a good idea all the time. He should be stationary for practically the entire fight, just like you're stressing.

Coordinated kiting is a great point. I'm used to playing in pubs with pre-level 40 characters (I'm 73 currently) where players will fire away when the Boarrior needs to be kited, or worse yet, kite in the wrong direction. I think the main reason for running the Boarrior away from the rest of your team is in the situation where he charges out of a heal, which shouldn't happen if he's backed against a corner, but does still happen on occasion. In every other situation it's going to be coordinated or not at all.

Just now, Arcwell said:

Ranged characters can and do get hit by the Boarrior's AoE attack since cancelling each and every one of them is nearly impossible.

I have played lots of matches where all of the ranged players only get hit 0-2 times in total because the tanks were doing their jobs properly and we watched our positioning. Boarrior's attacks and targeting choice are never random and are very predictable, so ranged players are definitely messing up if they get hit often.

Just now, Arcwell said:

Coordinated kiting is a great point. I'm used to playing in pubs with pre-level 40 characters (I'm 73 currently) where players will fire away when the Boarrior needs to be kited, or worse yet, kite in the wrong direction. I think the main reason for running the Boarrior away from the rest of your team is in the situation where he charges out of a heal, which shouldn't happen if he's backed against a corner, but does still happen on occasion. In every other situation it's going to be coordinated or not at all.

Locking the Boarrior in a corner is something I've found quite effective. Having a gap of lava between you and the Boarrior ensures that he never targets you. Also, if you need the Boarrior to stay in the heal circle, save the molten dart's special attack for when the green circle appears. Shooting him with the special attack stuns him long enough to prevent him from attacking or escaping.

Just now, orian34 said:

Actually, most of the time the mage/ranged players get hit because of poor positionning and the damned tanks kiting the boss instead of facetanking. Depends on the team ;)

This especially. Tanks trying to run away makes the Boarrior target ranged players because his target choice is heavily based on proximity. Standing behind a tank will also cause you to get hit by the Boarrior's line attack or spin attack if you're too close.

Yeah, tanks running when they're low have cost more games than I'd like to remember.

I keep hearing poor positioning being the reason for ranged teammates getting attacked. With the darts and staff I can understand how that would be a fault, but the healer has to move in to place a heal. If an attack cancel fails when the healer moves in and the heal gets interrupted, is that the healer's fault for positioning where they were supposed to be? I feel like I'm missing something there.

With 2 other tanks Woodie is going to get/have the 85% armor anyway. At the Boarrior phase it's ok to switch to tank. 

In my experiences I could outrun the ranged attack, but it needs 30% speed boost, either to the side or at its end. It's nice to have someone controlling the situation at the last pit pigs wave, it's the situation there most ppl got panick because everyone is spreaded out.

29 minutes ago, axxel said:

With 2 other tanks Woodie is going to get/have the 85% armor anyway. At the Boarrior phase it's ok to switch to tank. 

In my experiences I could outrun the ranged attack, but it needs 30% speed boost, either to the side or at its end. It's nice to have someone controlling the situation at the last pit pigs wave, it's the situation there most ppl got panick because everyone is spreaded out.

You mean, "because everyone spreads out"

Archived