Wigfrid makes me cry sometimes

Arcwell

I'm gonna rant about Wigfrid for a bit. Kind of. Not entirely. You'll see.

Most Wigfrid's I see will go melee basically the entire game, possibly picking up darts in the scorpeon wave but for the most part always returning to the spear in the end. And that's to be expected. Wigfrid starts with melee and is the only character who has her own unique melee weapon (2 of them!)

I have over time developed a seething hatred for these types of Wigfrid's. Here's why:

"Gains less aggro when attacking."

I cannot tell you how many times our team has had 1 tank and 1 melee Wigfrid, and during the final fight the Boarrior completely peels off of Wigfrid bashing him in the face and goes straight for the healer.

Don't get me wrong, Spiral Spear is a great weapon (though not as great as people make it out to be, since people take the forging hammer's guard break for granted), but I don't think it belongs on Wigfrid who can't pull or keep aggro. Sure, Wigfrid gets multiple hits from it that proc battle cry, but you could just as easily get those multiple hits from the 3 sets of Barrage Darts on the ground.

I especially think that Wigfrid would prove to be a real asset if a dart-Wigfrid meta can take off, as that would mean extra DPS from battle cry while having the Spiral Spear on a character who can actually keep aggro.

But anyway, those are my thoughts on Wigfrid. What do you all think of her as a melee and as a ranged in Forge?

That's why she takes the 85% armor.

She's meant for high stealth dps and the Spiral Spear special is meant for losing aggro and dodging attacks (also pulls the least aggro of the melee weapons). When low hp from making mistakes she can switch to darts and when healed up she can go back to using the spear.

If there's no one else that can use the Magma Dart she should use it at the end though.

No, Wigfrid provides dmg buff and can deal more dmg melee with her spiral spear(or whatever its called) She is supposed to get the 90%dmg reduction armor and health regen hat so she can stay in melee range.

The primary tank will still be the focus for the boss while wigfrid can stay in melee to attack him because of her passive. She is half tank/half dmg. She can be used as a back up tank while increasing dmg thus being useful for speed runs while maintaining "lots of tanks safety" and not failing the run off of just one mistake.

I was in a team where Wig had the 90% armor while Woody kited, and the 85% armor while Woody tanked.  So when Woody's tanking, there's two tanks and a Wigfrid.  When Woody's kiting, he can draw aggro from the boss with a Lucy-chuck.  Either way, Wigfrid's melee but you're not relying on her to draw aggro, so it's not a liability.  In fact, it's useful for attacking bosses and scorpeons from behind without risk of being targeted or hit by attacks that sweep in front.  Boarrior's spin will still hit, but since Wig should only be attacking him in melee while Woody's second tank, that light splint armor means she'll get thrown clear, so the spin only hits her once.  I don't know about you, but I'd rather be hit once for 15% than twice for 10% each.

When I play Wig I normally end up with Nox/jagged wood for maximum damage. Her minimum aggro means that she can stand behind the Boarilla/first stage Boarrier and jab from behind with Spiral Spear without worrying about getting hit-normally someone else takes the better armor, but considering you shouldn't be hit as melee Wig you don't need it. This also provides the battle cry boost to your tanks and dart DPS/mage if they're standing in range. Once Boar starts spinning, Wig should gather up all those floor darts and become dart DPS. If nobody wants/needs the Spiral Spear, keep it near and use the special whenever Boar starts to use one of his stronger attacks. 

Wigfrid is not a tank. Do not use her as a primary tank. She can work as a backup tank, but don't choose her to play a tank. I tried to play Wigtank almost exclusively when the Forge started. I was almost always the weak link. 

....of course, there's always the possibility that I'm an idiot and cannot grasp the pure glory of Wigtank. 

Archived