The Forge Sucks

HomShaBom

OK, so the game itself doesn't suck. It's pretty fun, actually. But the people who play DST? My god.

Any game that forces you to rely on people on the Internet being intelligent... Good luck with that. I've had nothing but terrible luck trying to find anyone at all who is capable of comprehending the concept of: don't wake up the CC'd mobs. I really want to play The Forge, but the people make it INCREDIBLY painful to play.

No matter how much I try to explain to them how the CC works, they just can't get it into their thick skulls.

22 minutes ago, HomShaBom said:

OK, so the game itself doesn't suck. It's pretty fun, actually. But the people who play DST? My god.

Any game that forces you to rely on people on the Internet being intelligent... Good luck with that. I've had nothing but terrible luck trying to find anyone at all who is capable of comprehending the concept of: don't wake up the CC'd mobs. I really want to play The Forge, but the people make it INCREDIBLY painful to play.

No matter how much I try to explain to them how the CC works, they just can't get it into their thick skulls.

Welcome to the world of online gaming.

I don't have a beef with a new player that is trying to listen, which has been almost all of the ones I have encountered so far. As of late I have been trying to find teams that can beat the forge, but I always seem to find myself trying to teach low level players the ropes. I am proud of my recent level 1 players, because they got all the way to the pig rush on the final phase.

If you want to play with decent teams, make sure to browse for servers and check who is already on the server. You can also try to send friend invites to good players to try and make an allstar team.

Then you search until you can find a group who either experienced or willing to learn. Forge is fine, the players are fine. I've played this game mode for nearly a hundred hours, most new players will listen, they want to learn how to play. Considering you're the one calling them "troglodytes," and looking down on new players as a whole, when only a small handful will give you too much trouble, maybe you are the problem.

31 minutes ago, Ressayez said:

Then you search until you can find a group who either experienced or willing to learn. Forge is fine, the players are fine. I've played this game mode for nearly a hundred hours, most new players will listen, they want to learn how to play. Considering you're the one calling them "troglodytes," and looking down on new players as a whole, when only a small handful will give you too much trouble, maybe you are the problem.

a good point, name calling and insulting, even if frustrated, is probably not the best way to win people over to listening to you

but i do see a lot of passworded servers that say 10+ or at least 'all welcome', so there are lower level servers out there

54 minutes ago, Ressayez said:

Did you even read the part where I said I did try to help them? You act like I just start shouting "TROGLODYTE! TROGLODYTE!" the first moment anyone even accidentally whacks a petrified pit pig. It's not a small handful of people that cause problems. It is overwhelming majority.

But yeah, I guess *I* must be the sole reason why other people can't grasp the concept of not attacking CC'd enemies, or kiting, or reviving, and losing aggro, or holding aggro. It's all my fault. Excellent diagnosis, sir.

Just now, HomShaBom said:

You act like I just start shouting "TROGLODYTE! TROGLODYTE!" the first moment anyone even accidentally whacks a petrified pit pig.

But yeah, I guess *I* must be the sole reason why other people can't grasp the concept of not attacking CC'd enemies, or kiting, or reviving, and losing aggro, or holding aggro. It's all my fault. Excellent diagnosis, sir.

Because that's totally what I said and what you should take from it.

Listen, friend, I don't want to get into an argument, so don't put words into my mouth, but it just seems like you look down on new players for not knowing about a game's mechanics right off the bat, citing low intelligence. I didn't understand when I first played the beta any of the terms people were using, I didn't immediately know not to attack sleeping or petrified enemies or that a mage like Maxwell or Wicker, as an unspoken rule had dibs on the staff over me, as Willow. If you don't want to teach people these things, which honestly, I am willing to do even if these basic mechanics are routine to me now, you play on passworded servers or with friends.

And no, the majority of players are fine, the bad ones just stick out to you, as negative people and experiences tend to do. For every godawful match I play in with griefers, throwers and people with plain bad attitudes, there's a dozen more where it's decent, okay, or just plain alright. If you think this is bad, you should try playing a competitive FPS once in awhile.

going into a game with randos i expect to have to repeat the sentence "don't attack as soon as you seen green circle" "save meteor for pig wave" "gather center for pig wave" "stop attacking in circle" "stop" "stop attacking in circle" anywhere between 10-20 times each. 9 times out of ten one of the staff users is on their dying breaths irl and can barely click the screen more than twice per minute apparently, and finding someone who doesn't die/lose aggro on boarrilla is about the same odds as getting a random shiny pokemon before they nerfed the shiny rates. 10/10 games you will find a ranged dps like webber, wendy, willow, or even wilson sometimes who just can't understand the concept "stop when it falls asleep". like it's not even that demanding of a reaction time, you have like 2 seconds to stop before it becomes a problem. but no, for some reason dps just gets bored in the middle of the game and alt tabs/ texts. 

I don't hate them for it. it's just kind of frustrating to have to repeat on a constant level.

All that being said, if you can get a group of friends together, in a voice chat, that are even remotely competent at the game, you can accomplish almost every achievement probably. 

oh and that's not to mention that about 80% of the time randos are the most toxic people on planet earth for no apparent reason. These people are acting like they just lost 90 games of League of Legends in a row and are so tilted they're about to change the planet's axial tilt. they flame and rage and call anyone who even messes up 1 thing or takes 2 too many seconds to unequip the armor they accidentally picked up they call them all sorts of things i'd probably get banned for even mentioning. It's not even directed at me half the time (although it is disheartening to go into a queue, offer to be healer, and then when you pick wickerbottom because someone's going willow and wilson they flame you and say you're sh%@ for even thinking of picking her and are you ^#@%!ing ^#$*%@#% etc)  and its depressing.

example: JUST now i got out of a game where we were attempting a 0 death run. We had it perfect, up until just before the boar wave, when our wig (who insisted on only using darts, not sure why that was. like, not even spiral spear) kept attacking through sleep and killed the wolfgang. The wolfgang, who had already proven toxic many other times just in that one game alone, told all of us to kill ourselves so that wigfrid wouldn't get the win xp. I said "but i haven't won as winona yet" cos i want free 10k xp, and they ignored me and all threw it (4 of them were premade) while calling wigfrid retarded and horrible and never-play-again and all that. I felt so bad for her i wanted to send her a friend request, but their username is lost to me in the sea of recent interactions...

anyhow, i monologue. get the hell away from toxic people as soon as you see them, they're a dime a dozen for some reason. play with as many friends as possible, and when you do need randos, try to find ones around level 30. they're just experienced enough to not screw up, and not so high leveled that they're toxic and don't care about the game. (there sure seems to be a direct link between the higher someones level is and the more toxic they are. I find the most unbearable horrible servers are the level 50+ only ones) 

I digress, again. The online community is so great for this game, i've made some of the best friends in my life on here, and yet this happens when you try to play with randos. 

15 minutes ago, Pink_Infatuation said:

there sure seems to be a direct link between the higher someones level is and the more toxic they are.

Really? Most of the high level players I come across tend to be pretty friendly and laid back. Guess I'm just lucky.

17 minutes ago, Pink_Infatuation said:

I find the most unbearable horrible servers are the level 50+ only ones

I always felt like any level requirement above 30 just seems unreasonable, so I always avoided them. Guess I was right about those servers attracting more toxic individuals.

8 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Really? Most of the high level players I come across tend to be pretty friendly and laid back. Guess I'm just lucky.

I always felt like any level requirement above 30 just seems unreasonable, so I always avoided them. Guess I was right about those servers attracting more toxic individuals.

yeah, the higher level requirement for the server, the ruder/angrier the people tend to be. And my generalized statement about level and toxicity has mostly held true to my experience, aside from me and my friends who are 50-60 range. I'm glad to hear you've found others.

Also, my favorite way to win forge is with newbies.

they're all around level 16, never won a game. Super tense about it. Then when you carry them to victory, they're capslocking going wild and excited because of their first win. That really makes the experience worth it to me. I love doing that.

I much less love being told what i know how to do by an angry level 70 who thinks im a braindead ceramic bowl who doesn't know what even a single role is because he feels the need to explain it to me, in game, as he dies to the third boar wave as maxwell.

(yes, i have a specific someone in mind :P)

13 minutes ago, Pink_Infatuation said:

they're all around level 16, never won a game. Super tense about it. Then when you carry them to victory, they're capslocking going wild and excited because of their first win. That really makes the experience worth it to me. I love doing that.

Aw, now I wanna try that too. That sounds so endearing.

11 hours ago, Pink_Infatuation said:

Also, my favorite way to win forge is with newbies.

I like doing that too. When I make a server I usually make it a 15+ one. I've found that to be the sweet spot for people having enough experience to know what to do, but they usually don't have a win yet.

11 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

that's because those +50 levels only servers are usually the ones with the try-hards that get reaaally angry the very moment you screw up >.>

i look for passworded servers, but not super high level ones. I like helping people to learn, but i also want them to be willing to learn xD and in quick match i always seem to run into those that don't want to learn and just want to bash things

17 hours ago, HomShaBom said:

And the passworded ones are all like 25+, 30+, 35+.

I'm 12. So I just have to suffer through the game with these mouth breathers for hours upon hours until I happen to get to 25+?

it's pretty easy to get 25+ level, so yes, just play with random and get game expirience

12 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:

And the password is usually: 123

indeed, or 2017, or something similar. They'll list the password in the description.

bu those servers are more coordinated than quick matches, usually

I guess my luck has been really good then. A lot of people who I play with in higher levels tend to be pretty nice. I enjoy joining the 30+ level servers simply because I know I don't have the patience for lower levels who don't know what they're doing. Better just for me to stay away then get angry, yeah? The people I tend to find don't boss me around (though I did meet one person last night who thought he could run the whole fricken battlefield and uuuuugh. I hate being told how to do what I know what to do!), but from what I've seen higher levels don't usually boss around higher levels because we all just assume we know what we're doing.

Heck, if you're really lucky you will find people who can take a joke XD. Once me and a friend convinced everyone to play as wes (we knew we'd lose), after that we all played WX with only one wilson. Finally we got an all random game with the same group! We of course lost, but it was great!

That being said, I do occasionally meet a toxic person who can get my blood boiling. Like the woodie who wanted to tank because they couldn't run, and they wanted that achievement. Our group very seriously said, every single one of us, hey we want to play to win. We don't think you'd help us towards that goal as woodie. Everyone tried being nice, then yelling, then we just left.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned though, is that some people really can't understand you. As in, they speak another language that is not English. At that point if you go up to their character and say, "Character, no." They seem to understand that something is going wrong, and will try to fix it. You said their name, and "no" is pretty similar in a lot of languages. Granted, not all, but I still seem to find that people get the gist.

I decided to try the event today for the first time. So of course a level 1, and not really sure what to do, besides I happened to know about don't attack sleeping guys, and some other small things from a youtube video. Got thrown in a match with just Russians who refused to speak English. And after we lost the first match, obviously cause there were two relatively new people who did not really know what to do, they said just two English words 'leave pls'. Apparently I started this event too late and now nobody wants to play with low-levels like me anymore. So i just decided I do not wanna go back in, cause why waste time on such an environment...

3 hours ago, mariskaas said:

Apparently I started this event too late and now nobody wants to play with low-levels like me anymore. So i just decided I do not wanna go back in, cause why waste time on such an environment...

You should start, or join a server that say something along the lines of "Beginners Welcome". I've seen servers like those before and have even joined a couple myself to help teach new players how the forge works.

On 15.11.2017 at 4:07 AM, HomShaBom said:

as if whrz baiz guys didnt indicate that people arent that competent

I literally just got out of a game with a level 71 maxwell who only ever cast 1 petrify. And the game before that I had a level 16 Wickerbottom who was consistently missing sleeping targets. Everyone who thinks level matters at all in The Forge is... I'm not even allowed to use the words I want to use on this forum.

I've played with level 1's that are better than level 71's that I've played with.

Archived