Semi automated slime collection

I was trying to find a sustainable way to farm slime that didn't end up with soggy feet or spending all day collecting 1kg of slime at a time.  So I created this (in debug, but its doable without).  The morbs produce polluted oxygen all day (they produce more while in water I have heard, just don't put too much or it causes temporary pressure damage issues to the surrounding tiles), and the pufts consume it and produce slime all day.  The slime drops in water which prevents it from evaporating.  The first locked door is opened once a day for 1% of a cycle dropping the water and slime.  The other 2 doors are closed during this.  The 2nd door will open only if the water level drops sufficiently and the 1st door is closed.  Then any excess pO2 is pumped back up top.  Once the pressure lowers to below 1950g (no popped ears), the first door is closed, and the water level is sufficiently low, then the 3rd door opens.  At that point the dupes walk in, collect 2 chunks of slime and they're done.

It scales up with as many morbs/pufts as you'd like, just don't let the pO2 build up past 20kg because then the air pump will stop working.

slime.jpg

The Death Antfarm.sav

Trap them in a vertical pneumatic door with them stuck at the bottom. This forces them to produce slime without moving upwards after breathing po2 and increases their production rate. I've thought of upgrading the puft farms I made in my last base by using a pressure plate to measure the weight of the slime and only letting a secondary door in front of the door I've already placed there open up when the weight is over 2000 kg.

Here's the design I used previously in survival, I wanted to submerge the morbs in water, but I couldn't do it after the morbs were there, the water ended up not collecting in the spot because the morb po2 forced it out and the bits that did end up there were quickly deleted. In the end I just moved it back over to the original design. Make sure to place the water first, then place the morbs in lol.

F417F80ED5B8CCB2FEC866CF21892DB68EF9875B

If you want to minimize the polluted oxygen buildup outside of the creature rooms you could use clean water in the puft room and put a hydro switch next to the liquid pump to make sure that there's always a little bit of water next to it.

the ore scrubber is more than sufficient for this setup.  Chlorine room is not really necessary, though could be cool.  Trapping the puft in a door and making it a single tile width is pretty nice.  Only got to pick up the 1 block.  Trapping the morbs didn't seem to matter.  They already stay in one tile for some reason, and they jump up and down with or without the door.

6 hours ago, Alpe12 said:

You can produce a lot of PO2 from polluted water.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.8d0a557ff39457e758ed93bf77bb23c0.png

You can also use automation to compress the polluted water, which will produce more polluted oxygen each time it sublimates (converts 0.1% of it's mass or something). This saves a lot of space, but it's a good way to deal with a lot of polluted water. When it sublimates, the food poisoning don't seem to transfer to the air.

Spoiler

5a0bb4500d3a1_2017-11-1419_27_34-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.9ec168ff4329e7fb88eec9df7d94cd65.png

Another method is a "rot farm", where you build a chamber of mealwood, forbid duplicants from harvesting or entering the area, and just let it drop food and rot naturally, which will eventually produce polluted dirt and polluted oxygen. I didn't see any germs in this chamber, so it might be worthwhile. You can also use automation as a one-way gas mover if you have a process that doesn't require it being piped.

Spoiler

5a0bb53c5c63e_2017-11-1419_30_08-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.a32e9baef260b400d6a0b6119322445d.png

I know they are less efficient than Morbs, but they are some germless alternatives to generate Polluted O2 (until a single germ finds its way in :P).

Unfortunately, regardless of if the po2 had germs in it or not, the slime produced by the puft will have slimelung in it, so you might as well use morbs since they produce the most po2 in the smallest area.

Archived