Willson is not a healer.

lowfide

Oftenly I see that people say "Willson should be healer". I would like to disagree.

1. He cant drop heal and revive in case he is chased by mobs. Much effective will be if another person will drop heal under body, so Willson could successfuly revive.

2. Potentially thats 3s loss in healing for each revive. In case you have a dead body and a fight where healing is needed. You could be caught in the middle of reviving with healing ready up.

3. No inbuild buffs that could help him to heal.

IMHO, the best option for healer is Winona:

1. Reed Tunic > Silken wood armour

2. And a good option of either Crystal tiara for even more often heals or Woven garland for bigger amount of healing.

3. Inbuild 10% lower CDR.

Other options I believe are all casters: granny, maxwell and summoners: wendy, webber.

IMHO Willson is a fighter with great ability to revive when needed with assistance of healer.

Wilson healer is good IF it means you're running two wilsons.

If there's a solo Wilson, ideally he should not be the healer- I totally agree on that part. If he dies later in the run it's massively bad.

Wickerbottom is a great heal choice as well because her passive will greatly boost the strength of her heals, and she can also use petrification/summoning tomes when heal is on cooldown to be more useful than other healers. Cooldown reduction is applied on cast, so it's safe to drop the staff for a moment. (Unrelated- if you're healer and about to die because stuff is aggroing on you, it's good to drop the staff. Then someone can use it until you're back up)

Winona is OK for having more hp and slightly better cooldown but the healer shouldn't get hit enough to die in the scary parts of the run unless stuff is already going to crud, so it's not a major deal. HP+lower cooldown is O K (I certainly won't complain about it) but I'd rather have 2 Wilsons or the utility of Wicker healer.

If you're Winona and using the +healing dealt helm, you have the same CD as Wicker and your heals are STILL weaker than hers are with double cd equipment, plus you don't have cool tomes. (Although, admittedly, when juggling tomes you won't always have boosted heals. Have to prioritize what's more important in the situation.)

I'm also kinda dubious of taking reed tunic over cooldown armor. Being able to barely outrun the pigs is a decent boon and I can see how that's good, but at the same time you take ALMOST TWICE AS MUCH DAMAGE, which is so, so bad, and 10% speed up still won't make -any- difference on stray boarilla/boarriors coming after you. And you still can't outrun the pigs enough to lay down a heal if they're on you.

Honestly, people are taking the living staff the wrong way. It's not just a healing staff, it's also a crowd control tool. To get the most out of it, you should be using it to both heal your team and to sleep your enemy team as well. It rewards giving your team space and time to recover while making sure that the enemies are controlled in the process. Wickerbottom certainly is a useful healer with her extra healing, but a Winona with the staff really lets it shine through.

Besides, Wickerbottom can also use books as well, which really is useful in controlling the tide of the battle.

5 hours ago, Tumalu said:

Wickerbottom is a great heal choice as well because her passive will greatly boost the strength of her heals

So her abilities affect not only book spells. Great to know.

51 minutes ago, WilliamGreywind said:

Wickerbottom certainly is a useful healer with her extra healing, but a Winona with the staff really lets it shine through.

Potntially  30% lower CDR looks promising, does +20% healing dealt is good? Cant say much without flat numbers...

The thing is, the difference between 20% cdr and 30% cdr isn't really that large- just one or two seconds. Wickerbottom healing ~30% more than Winona, on the other hand, IS a pretty decent chunk of difference (plus tomes when heal is cooling down).

i have a friend who mains healerson. The problem with your reasoning is that "if wilson dies"

my friend who mains healerson literally does not ever die, and if they do, they're the last one and it's gg anyways. What she does is hang back during boarrior phase so that they can't get hit, focus on the boarrior, and land the sleep so that everyone can heal. Instead of having two vital people playing back and being extra cautious about dying, you can now have 5 full DPS people wailing on the final boss and they will die much quicker.

6 minutes ago, lowfide said:

nope, 3 reasons in topic starter

sorry, i was addressing the first guy who posted after you and i've seen a lot of people say wilson shouldn't heal because you need to spread the roles out and such and that's why i made that point (because he had said that the wilson threw because he thought he could use both roles)

Regardless of personal ability, immediately relegating Wilson to also heal is not always the best idea. In a team which never dies, then fine, Wilson can heal. But all of Wilson's perks don't actually affect his healing ability. They affect his ability to rez, and in the Forge, the ability to Rez and the ability to heal are different.

Using Wilson to also Heal means you're not getting the most out of your healing staff. If you really want better mileage out of your healing staff, a Wickerbottom's magic buff or Winona's innate cooldown reduction will pay off more than just Wilson healing.

And besides, only using the healing staff to heal is a terrible idea.

Just now, lowfide said:

Obv, wicker and winona are better options. Why then bloody pub players think that willson should be...

Simple, because they relate rezzing to healing. Its that raid mentality. Your Rezzers are almost always your healers. Well the Forge is different... and it's a hard mentality to break.

I dunno, plaing quick matches became a pain cus of this.. At least that is fun like lvl 30+ are screeming about people of low lvls in lobby, asking Klei to add kick button and then saying that Willson should be healer. Even more fun when party is wiped out cus Willson cant either cast heal or revive cus a pig is hunting him and disrupting actions... 

9 hours ago, Tumalu said:

I'm also kinda dubious of taking reed tunic over cooldown armor.

Not taking over, > meant progress of getting, since Reed Tunic is a sarter cloth :)

It really depends on the skills of the players.

The thing is when healing as Wilson, you have to focus only on healing. Avoid fighting things unless you're certain they won't target you and keep a very close eye on everyone's health. For me I usually stick away from the action or next to players who are about to die, then I go in. I find that it's really effective if you have a Wilson player who focuses only on healing. I've noticed a lot of Wilsons try to fight along with everyone else, and that puts a lot of risk. Or the rest of the team doesn't help when something targets Wilson when he's trying to heal. 

Wilson's also not as good at attacking. There are several characters that are better with range and with only six characters it's good to have enough that can attack well. 

(also a minor correction, Webber can't hold staffs) 

6 hours ago, furtrout said:

Or the rest of the team doesn't help when something targets Wilson when he's trying to heal. 

Thats common problem, people dont  know how to work in team. Most likely cus DST players oftenly dont have a lot experience in RPG. They barely can survive winter in pubs... So thats another reason do not take Willson as healer. I've seen a lot of Willsons running around tryng to cast heal while a friendly player is dead. 

6 hours ago, furtrout said:

Webber can't hold staffs

Sad(c). Anyway, from what I see webber is an outsider and in this meta not worth to be picked.

3 hours ago, lowfide said:

Thats common problem, people dont  know how to work in team. Most likely cus DST players oftenly dont have a lot experience in RPG. They barely can survive winter in pubs... So thats another reason do not take Willson as healer. I've seen a lot of Willsons running around tryng to cast heal while a friendly player is dead. 

Sad(c). Anyway, from what I see webber is an outsider and in this meta not worth to be picked.

Yeah honestly, I'm trying to heal and there's several enemies on me and no one does anything, it's very annoying. Wilson can be a very good healer if the rest of the team is on board. Although in a good team that knows what to do it's great, and that's why I said that if Wilson should be a healer or not depends on the skills of the players. 

And Webber can be very useful, he can do I think the most DPS if he's given the right armor, and he can do more than even Willow with the fire staff. While the spiders might not do as much damage and while he may be limited to darts, the damage quickly stacks up. The spiders also don't go away or die, so he can be more useful than Wendy in that sense. He can't do very much on his own, but when paired with a good tank he's very powerful. I actually play as Webber 95% of the time haha. 

The best tactic my team figured out, is to have a Healson at the beginning of the the match, and then giving the Living Staff to Wicker once the Boarrior arrives. This way Wicker can focus on juggling both books and the fire staff, to deal extra DPS, and at the end it's less likely that both die.

Archived