The Forge Beta Announcement

JoeW

forge-600px.jpg

The Forge is almost here! But first, we’re gonna need a little bit of help. 

Beginning with The Forge, we’re doing something new with the introduction of Event Servers. Event servers are new on demand servers available for battles in The Forge and future events. Whether you start your own game or join up in a quick match you and your team will be playing on a dedicated server running specially for the event. 

We’ve been play-testing for a little while now and we’re currently putting on the last of the finishing touches, but since we have never done this type of thing before, we want to do a bit of a stress test so see how the servers hold up. 

Beginning Monday October 23rd we will be opening a beta branch for players to come check out The Forge. Come help us stress test the servers and give us your feedback for final testing and balance before we open up in November!

As with all Betas, things could go a little wonky and might get a bit messy at times, but we could really use the help to make the official launch as smooth as possible.

The Beta officially begins on October 23, at 2pm PDT. See you here!

Time converter at worldtimebuddy.com

Will the new skin system be implemented with the beta of the forge on the 23rd? Will the warriors collection be added with the beta or is the collection being withheld until the forge officially launches?

40 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I hope to do both Hallowed nights and Forge! Sounds like it's going to be fun! Finally a chance to meet the Boarlord!

I wonder if tonight's RWP has to do with Forge?:wilson_shocked:

The wait is killing me, I could just squee!

This week is ONI to my knowledge.

Great new, can't wait to try it! 

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Event servers are new on demand servers available for battles in The Forge and future events. Whether you start your own game or join up in a quick match you and your team will be playing on a dedicated server running specially for the event.

Does this mean that we'll have to make a dedicated server to host a Forge event world? Or how will this work?

2 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

Does this mean that we'll have to make a dedicated server to host a Forge event world? Or how will this work?

it probably means there is no world. Room with monsters. Kill them and then leave to main menu. Like short session games

We will have more info Monday when we start the beta, but I can answer some questions:

1 hour ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

Will the new skin system be implemented with the beta of the forge on the 23rd? Will the warriors collection be added with the beta or is the collection being withheld until the forge officially launches?

It will - However, we will be in a test environment which means that you will not be able to see your normal skins and you will NOT be able to keep the skins you earn during the beta. However, in appreciation for your help, we will be tracking your progress during the beta and we will be granting you items when the event goes live officially, although not specifically the items you got during beta. 

41 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

No. We setup the servers and you will play on them. All you have to do is join one and go!

13 minutes ago, thasmo said:

@JoeW, can dedicated event/on-demand servers be hosted by the community?

No, event servers are provided by Klei

1 minute ago, JoeW said:

It will - However, we will be in a test environment which means that you will not be able to see your normal skins and you will NOT be able to keep the skins you earn during the beta. However, in appreciation for your help, we will be tracking your progress during the beta and we will be granting you items when the event goes live officially, although not specifically the items you got during beta. 

inb4 all my elegant luck is used up here.

• Developer
8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

inb4 all my elegant luck is used up here.

I'd assume the skins given back to you would be random, but of the same rarity, so try to get as many Elegants as you can!

The true question yes, will there be a Loyal for helpers? :thinking:

3 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

I'd assume the skins given back to you would be random, but of the same rarity, so try to get as many Elegants as you can!

Son, we see you get your Winona elegant, so take this sweet wes elegant instead and vice versa

2 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

It's funny because it's true! I assume any potential obtainable beta (aka not released as-of-yet) content, which players acquire during the beta, won't be transfered once the beta concludes (but then it will be obtainable on the stable branch instead). I will also assume that any old content (skins) obtained during the beta will simple carry over to the stable branch. I seriously doubt that beta players will receive any Loyal items for participating in testing this upcoming patch, even though it will be content-heavy.

8 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

It's funny because it's true! I assume any potential obtainable beta (aka not released as-of-yet) content, which players acquire during the beta, won't be transfered once the beta concludes (but then it will be obtainable on the stable branch instead). I will also assume that any old content (skins) obtained during the beta will simple carry over to the stable branch. I seriously doubt that beta players will receive any Loyal items for participating in testing this upcoming patch, even though it will be content-heavy.

Getting any items for beta is already cool. You allowed to test things before release and get items for that? i'll take it. Even single Loyal item is cool because it's unobtainable another way

A loyal skin would be cool and all but honestly I care more about the content in the beta. And besides, aren't they going to eventually have skins you can buy in the Forge update anyways? I'm more interested in those and the content they're going to add to be honest.

k4u8qal0959y.jpg

Indeed. I also love getting Loyal items in DST, but this time it seems like testing The Forge beta will have to be its own reward. A Loyal item would be more warranted for, for example, a new DLC. Klei explained that they will try to provide bigger new updates free of charge, with exclusive in-game skins (obtainable during the event) that you can acquire either by 1) completing event related tasks, or 2) buying.

It will be a way for Klei to keep adding content while getting financed for their work, even if paying for the skins (aka supporting Klei) will be optional.

It looks like The Forge will indeed be a hefty update, but I don't think a Loyal item for its beta participants would be justified.

PS.

A more suitable reward would be:

pshirt.thumb.png.19d9835fe98d615e9fd3271daf0cc56e.png

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

No. We setup the servers and you will play on them. All you have to do is join one and go!

[...]

No, event servers are provided by Klei

Thanks for clarifying it! :) 

By the way, my DST skins aren't available on steam at the moment, can it be connected to the upcoming Forge beta? Or is it just coincidence?

Edit: nvm, it seems it got fixed. ;)

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

However, in appreciation for your help, we will be tracking your progress during the beta and we will be granting you items when the event goes live officially, although not specifically the items you got during beta.

Gives me more incentive to try out the beta when it comes up on Monday.

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

A more suitable reward would be:pshirt.thumb.png.19d9835fe98d615e9fd3271daf0cc56e.png

You gotta send it to Maxwell Memes, bud.:wilson_ecstatic:

Archived