Oxygen Not Included - Oil Upgrade Available Now!

• Developer

ONI_oil_Forum_en.png

Plumbing further into the depths of the asteroid, our Duplicants have made a fortuitous discovery - oil! Will the colony flourish into an energy-rich paradise? Or devolve into a mire of sweltering heat and suffocating fumes?

Welcome to Oxygen Not Included - Oil Upgrade!

So What's New?

Hydrocarbons

Oxygen Not Included has received a whole new collection of Hydrocarbon resources, along with research and buildings to manipulate them to your benefit. Among these new Hydrocarbons are Crude Oil and Petroleum, which you can use to manufacture versatile plastics for advanced technologies and luxury commodities. 

Key Features

• Oil Biome: Journey down into the asteroid's depths to obtain the valuable Crude Oil that awaits in this new biome. You may even make some new creature friends along the way.
  • Oil Wells and Geysers: Seek out Oil Geysers and tap them with Oil Wells to extract their precious fuel. You may need to sacrifice some fresh water in the process, however.
  • Petroleum Generator: Use the new Oil Refinery to produce Petroleum and fuel your new high-powered Petroleum Generator.
  • Plastics: The Polymer Press will allow you to start manufacturing your own plastics, unlocking a new tier of advanced and germ-resistant materials. Try not to heat them up though; Naphtha byproducts are no use to anybody.

Suits

Suits are heavy-duty hazard gear designed to keep your Duplicants breathing in any environment. With these new additions, you control when and where Duplicants must wear protective suits as they go about their work and keep your base running.

Key Features

• Atmo Suits: Crafted at the new Exosuit Station, Atmo Suits increase digging speed and shield Duplicants from unlivable temperatures, gases, and conditions. They may slow your Dupes down a bit, but being slow is better than being dead.
  • Checkpoints and Docks: Use new Suit Checkpoints to mark off areas where Duplicants must wear Atmo Suits and prevent them from entering dangerous places unprotected. Once done they've finished their business, you can store and refill your exosuits back at the Suit Docks located next to your Checkpoint. 
  • New Overlay: Enter the Exosuit Overlay to view docks and the checkpoints marking where Duplicants must change into suits.

And More

• Rooms: When areas you've built fulfill certain requirements, they will now be recognized as designated rooms. For example, an area with a toilet, sink, and a door will now be recognized by Duplicants as a "Bathroom". Completing rooms will grant bonuses to the buildings within them and make Duplicants more efficient.
  • New Overlay: Enter the Rooms Overlay to view all current completed rooms in your base and the bonuses being granted by them.
  • New Creatures and Buildings:
    • Sink: Tired of filling and emptying Wash Basins all the day long? Well now you can build your own plumbable Sinks, complete with clean and dirty water pipes!
    • Plastic Ladders and Tiles: Use your brand new plastics to improve the infrastructure in your colony. Plastic ladders and tiles are faster to run on, and their natural antiseptic properties will even keep germ spread at bay!
    • Slicksters: These slippery little scoundrels can help you recycle your colony's excessive carbon dioxide production into sweet, sweet fuel. Plus they're cute!
    • Comfy Beds: The meaning of the word "discomfort" is sure to fade from collective consciousness once you build your Dupes these fancy beds.
    • Heavi-Watt Joint Plate: Run Heavi-Watt Wire through walls with this industrial joint plate.
  • Apothecary Unretired: The Apothecary has been reintegrated and can now be used to create general medicines for sick Duplicants, or tasty Vitamin Chews to boost individual immune systems.
  • Research Tree Changes: Existing techs have been separated out into more chunks so you have more choices about how to tackle your tech problems, and costs have been rebalanced to fit.
  • Improved Daily Report Breakdowns: Reports now display more varied and accurate information about your colony's activities throughout the day, for example - how many embarrassing bathroom accidents your Duplicants had that cycle.
  • Disease Mass Limits: New disease mass limits mean germs can no longer reproduce ad infinitum, which is nothing to sneeze at.
  • [BETA] Simplified Chinese Translation: We've added a new BETA translation in Simplified Chinese. Additionally, community translations are still available and we are working to provide more translations for many other languages as well.
  • Tons of bug fixes, rebalances, QOL additions and more!

A big thank-you to those of you who joined in on the Oil Upgrade Open Testing - your reports, feedback and contributions mean a lot to us and we really appreciate you lending us your time to test the game.

Enjoy your time with the Oil Upgrade, and we'll see you in space!

Frequently Asked Questions

Spoiler

What are the system requirements?
Specs are likely to change, but currently these are the requirements we have. It is highly recommended that you do not purchase if you aren't over this spec as we may have to raise the spec in the future. 

• OS: Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit
  • Processor: I5 2.0 GHz Dual core(or AMD equivalent)
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (AMD or NVIDIA equivalent)
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 1.5 GB available space

How often can we expect new updates while you're in EA?
All new content is being released as part of our regular game Upgrades every six weeks. Check the update timer in the main menu to see how long to go until the next update!

Is there OSX support for this game?
Yes!

What about other platforms(consoles/mobile)?
There are no plans to support any other platforms at this time.

I found a bug/have a suggestion. What should I do?
Come let us know about it on the forums!

Will there be multiplayer?
There are currently no plans to add multiplayer.

View full update

Download Image

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Short: yes

Long: how would you imagine adding biomes in existing save?

Asking the user about "Are you okay risking regenerating the map and possibly destroying your base?" I supposed one could recalculate everything above the radius of n-blocks, from the initial spawn point.

8 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

Asking the user about "Are you okay risking regenerating the map and possibly destroying your base?" I supposed one could recalculate everything above the radius of n-blocks, from the initial spawn point.

The world generator was changed so it wouldn't remotely generate the same world anyways.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

any word on: Do we have to go New-game for the new biomes to be available?

Even longer answer: If you're not above using debug mode, you could use it to spawn the new things into your old world. It wouldn't be the same as a naturally generated world with the new features though and you couldn't do it without spoiling yourself about new features, which I'm gonna assume you want to avoid.

36 minutes ago, DayDreamer said:

Thank you greatly guys, I predict this is going to be a frequently asked question. Perhaps it's wise to put the answer somewhere in bold letters :3

Since it's and early access games with very frequent and pretty big updates, I tend to not get too attached to my games, knowing that I will need to start a new one at every update. And if I don't have time for a new game, I just test the new features in debug mode to keep up to date.

I'd like to state the Naptha or rather Naphtha

This site is hilarious to use,  all becasue I just wanted to make sure I got his correct spelling I'm now stuck with a problem that can't be deleted in this message.. what a kick!   how unthoughtful can the site be..  

oh well 

5 hours ago, Cheerio said:

this is a joke  now..  hehe

I'm unable to get out of it   lol   on me..  oh well I wanted to state that in the oil industry  Naptha is a wonderful product  with lots of uses. but you can use it to clean your equipment of oil and crude spots  can easily use it to add to your fuel for more go power, I think it could be added to bunker fuel for ships even to use less of the bunker fuel product they used to use to fire there boilers.  Years ago prior to any known issue with cancer or other disease it was a great product with tons of uses..  back in the day when you could use tyelnol to your hearts content.. before lawyers  got ideas.. oh well at least I got out of the glorious  text that it used .

oh yea  can we please have a way to store those pills   Hatches love them and you can't pick them up for storage!

1 hour ago, TylerThailand said:

Did they increase the spawn rate of geysers and ruins?  I found 1 steam, 1 chlorine, 2 natural gas geysers and 4 ruins all just within a screen of my main base.

There is no spawn rate of geysers. You're just missing the remaining steam geyser now.

I'm experiencing a lot of random crashes since the update. I don't think I ever crashed with the previous versions so getting so many crashes from just playing the game is disheartening. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

• Developer
1 hour ago, Jofe said:

I'm experiencing a lot of random crashes since the update. I don't think I ever crashed with the previous versions so getting so many crashes from just playing the game is disheartening. Anyone else experiencing similar problems?

If you are still getting crashes after 236191, could you please post them in the bug tracker?

17 minutes ago, kryst415987 said:

Does anyone know how to get germs out of water? I tried filtering the polluted water like usual, however comes out "clean water" but still has food poisoning germs so not so "Clean".

For food poisoning?  You have to heat up the water to high heat, as mentioned by Risu above.  There's a number of approaches, such as aquatuner boilers, using the built in tepidizer (I don't like that one, too much power for too little gain because of the cold drip bugs), or just storing it down near magma/oil... which + aquatuner makes for a high-speed boiler apparatus AND you can cool your petro!

10 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

For food poisoning?  You have to heat up the water to high heat, as mentioned by Risu above.  There's a number of approaches, such as aquatuner boilers, using the built in tepidizer (I don't like that one, too much power for too little gain because of the cold drip bugs), or just storing it down near magma/oil... which + aquatuner makes for a high-speed boiler apparatus AND you can cool your petro!

Okay thanks guys I will try that one. Appreciate the help.

4 hours ago, brummbar7 said:

@kryst415987  Or just don't use germy fresh water for making food or washing hands.  Then you don't need to sterilize it at all, since the only way to catch food poisoning is by eating contaminated food.

Ah good to know, another question. Is there a problem having a morb in my base with slimelung? is there a chance of contamination?

8 hours ago, kryst415987 said:

Ah good to know, another question. Is there a problem having a morb in my base with slimelung? is there a chance of contamination?

The main danger of slimelung is in the presence of PO2, where it multiplies.  If he's free-roaming, you'll want to spread deodorizers around the area.   But as far as I can tell, as long as you keep the oxygen purified, the slimelung he gives off won't be enough to cause any harm.