best dst guides?

I think the best approach to learning this game is playing it alone or with a group on a regular basis.   A sizable part of the fun is the learning process and taking it slow means you'll enjoy the game for longer.   Once a veteran there isn't much too do, you've accomplished everything and not only find survival easy but can clear the ruins in 20 days or less.

My initial experience in DST was prejudiced by my background in DS where I was biased towards farms and basing near beefalo or the pig king.   As an experienced player I have no use for farms as food/sanity are never issues, my ideal starter base is:

Close (but not to close) to a cave entrance and or wormhole.

Near the swamp or df desert as both generate lots of useful supplies that can be "farmed".

A classic error of a noob is making an axe first, a pick is much more valuable as you can obtain gold, flint, and rock with it to create more tools.

I somewhat agree with Mencken, but never had the patience to learn it all on my own. If you’re getting discouraged, Volx has some great guides on YouTube. There is also a guy named Edgy Rick who is best to avoid/take with a boulder of salt. There are many ways to survive and enjoy the game, although expect to die a LOT in the beginning. It’s become a thing to press more intermediate strats on beginners like they are the Ten Commandments and then fight bitterly and endlessly with anyone who disagrees with you. In general, the more a guide pushes or prohibits a particular strat as holy writ, the better it is to look elsewhere for tips. 

Also, if you need specific information on a certain item, creature, ect. then you can always use the wiki. I think the best way to learn about the game is through trial and error with a hint of wiki reading (And DST specific: Watching and learning from other players). Although I would recommend reading up on the crockpot fairly early on.

On 10/1/2017 at 8:15 AM, Rellimarual said:

There are many ways to survive and enjoy the game, although expect to die a LOT in the beginning. It’s become a thing to press more intermediate strats on beginners like they are the Ten Commandments and then fight bitterly and endlessly with anyone who disagrees with you. In general, the more a guide pushes or prohibits a particular strat as holy writ, the better it is to look elsewhere for tips. 

This.  All of this.  My own personal experience started off with singleplayer, incidentally, and it tends to still colour my playstyle.  Some would say I'm not at all equipped to give advice, but some general things I like to do include:

--Basing near more than one useful biome, if possible, and not TOO close to sinkholes, frog ponds or beehives

--Making a tooth-trap field over time, close enough to base to run to quickly but far enough away that firehound deaths don't burn up all your stuff.

--Drying racks, for quick hunger/sanity/healing help on the go.

--ALWAYS.  CARRY.  GRASS AND WOOD.  _ALWAYS_!  Night can sneak up on you, and don't assume the other player you're travelling with surely must have some.  Also it's nice to be able to regulate your temperature or cook even when far away.  In summer, change that to _nitre_ and grass.

--Some turtle at base during winter/summer; I prefer to wander out looking for supplies that haven't been picked/withered yet.
--Your base can't spontaneously combust in summer if nobody's there.  :D

--Last but not least, if something is already close by and you can continue to harvest it WITHOUT needing fertiliser, do so. 

But this is just me.  I tend towards strategy, crafting, exploring and minimal bases, so I like to have basic supplies on hand for when I travel.

EDIT:  The guide Minespatch posted a link to above me is like, a billion times better.  : P

...Notorious

Carry them anyway, if nothing else for heat regulation (without destroying an entire biome) or to give to less fortunate players who happen by. (shrug) Seriously, since they're like, the most useful basic materials in all of Don't Starve (along with twigs and flint)...why not?  Doesn't have to be a huge stack though--leave some for others obviously.

(also I kinda sorta AM a Willow main and still carry that stuff everywhere anyway.  Force of habit!  : P)

...Notorious

Archived