Change save directory

we should have the option to choose a different save directory because my c: drive is full and even if it wasn't i would still rather have my save file on a different drive than my SSD that's specifically for my operating system. As of right now i have to get a new hard drive if i want to play your game which means this was an unfortunate waste of money until i can shell out another hundred bucks or so for a new hard drive that has space.

@chaosweapon1, The chances of you having NTFS file system on your C drive for windows are pretty good so....copy it somewhere you want and make a shortcut to it.

If you don't know how, do this:

Copy your Klei directory out of the 'Documents' folder to wherever you want it, drive D or G, or whatever it might be.  Then delete the Klei directory from documents. You may want to add it to an archive file if you want to make a backup.

In the Documents folder, where the Klei folder was, right click in some whitespace to open the context menu, go to 'New' -> 'Shortcut', It should open the shortcut creation dialog. 'Browse' to the location you copied your save game data folder.... then click 'Next' .... it will want you to name it something, It should be named "Klei" so that it appears just as it was before you deleted it from the documents folder.

This is basically a symbolic link to a folder. I've done this with many games. Windows handles the file folder location seamlessly. Deleting the shortcut in explorer will not delete what it's linking to - just the shortcut. The contents are a different story, the game shouldn't know the difference between two at all.

If this doesn't work, just copy the folder back where it originally was, ... as it stands, the save games are tiny. My recommendation is to not ask the developers to add menu clutter with an option like this when you can trick the windows devil box file system with features built in but often forgotten.

Archived