How do you deal with duplicates in the bug tracker?

I was looking up a bug about hydrogen loss in electrolyzers and found five reports for the same issue.  All of these reports have status pending and to my knowledge this particular issue is fixed in the latest test release.  I can't see any place to report these bugs as duplicates.  In fact, I can't see any of the traditional features available in a bug tracker such as a unique easy to reference id for bug reports, a clear overview of duplicate reports of a bug,  or even a simple open/closed status.  The search result listing is especially unhelpful in this regard, and doesn't show any interesting properties of a bug report in the listing at all.

What do you do with duplicate bug reports?

Hey @Hornwitser, welcome to the forums. The Bug Tracker does get a little chaotic since there is a wide variety of people adding bugs and sometimes people are not taking the time to search whether the bug they found has been reported yet OR they probably couldn't find them due to the wide variety of human input for bug reports, sometimes the same bug could already be reported but written very differently. 

As far as I know there isn't any cleaner overview of all bug reports aside from what we basically have in the Bug Tracker. The best way I can think of for users to determine what bugs have been confirmed or fixed by the developers in the bug tracker is to use the sort feature: That way you're sure your bug hasn't been discovered by user AND then also confirmed by the developers:

Sort: Filtered by: Category - (General, Graphics, Gameplay, Exploit, Balance, Client Crash, Sound, Performance) Status (Known Issue, Fixed)

For creating your own sort filters, if you wish to use more than one category or status, simply hold shift and select the criteria you wish to be included in your sort.

As for pending status reports where majority of the different reports of the same bug occurs which the developers can't confirm or deny them as Known Issues yet, all we can ask is for everyone to try their best to make sure their reports haven't been reported yet. Use every term possible and reduce your search terms to its most basic forms (i.e. invisible gasses, dupe animation, stuck door, etc.)

Sometimes though, duplicate reports offer different information about the same issue but since the discovery of the bug could be different, the way it's written could also be different. Which also adds up to the difficulty of finding whether a certain bug has been reported before.

Based on my experience in the Klei forums, the developers themselves manually sort through every bug report and they most likely have their own list of confirmed bugs (a.k.a. Known Issue) to fix for the next update/hotfix. Only they can change a bug report's status to Known Issue/Dupe/Fixed/Closed/etc. from the default Pending status.

As a moderator, the most I can do is to hide duplicate posts by the same users who accidentally sent the same bug report twice. If you wish to report duplicate posts like these, there is a clickable "Report Bug" in every specific bug report underneath the Bug Report's Status:

59c75e6ace347_Screenshot(5).png.eeb6cd79c4ce986a625100ab63b0ac3d.png

Click that and a pop up will appear which confirms if you want to report that bug report (I know, it's a bit confusing) then we'd be notified to check out that specific bug report, and we'll see if it's a duplicate by the same user or not. 

Ultimately, we all hope everyone takes the extra time to properly fill out their bug reports and be as simple as possible when writing their titles so their reports can be discovered by people who may end up reporting the same thing in the future. If you have new information about a certain bug, please do add onto it's existing bug report. With that, we can only hope for the best.

Sorry for dragging on for a while there, I hope that helps at least. Cheers.

11 hours ago, Zillvr said:

For creating your own sort filters, if you wish to use more than one category or status, simply hold shift and select the criteria you wish to be included in your sort.

I tried that but it doesn't work for me.

There should really be a clear way to handle duplicate bugs.  It would help the developers focus on the actual bugs if the community could mark and close duplicate bug reports.

@Hornwitser to create your own sort, follow instructions below:

• Open Bug Tracker
  • Click Sort By
  • Click Custom
  • Select the following for: Type: All | Sort By: Publish Date  | Sort Direction: Descending (newest first) | Last Reply: Anytime | Category: Highlight All by holding shift | Status: Hold shift and only select Known Issue and Fixed. Should look something like this:

59c85317cbac3_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.4fabf8678a8aa130b719c74dac4c5ee7.png

• Click Search

With regards to the community marking duplicate bug reports as duplicates, giving that ability to the general public would only invite even more unnecessary chaos, so the only best course of action for everyone is to comment down under each specific bug report that you think is duplicate bug report and add links the other reports talking about the same bug. That way, when the developers go over each report, they can easily find multiple bug reports giving details on the same bug.

Duplicate bug posts isn't such a bad thing, of course though in a perfect world all new information about a certain bug would only be found in the comments of that one bug report of that one specific bug. But, it's not a perfect world. Regardless, I think developers appreciate any information that can help them isolate a specific bug in the game.

So again, if anyone find reports of the same bug, kindly link other reports to it so the devs can find them easily. 

I didn't realize I had to click on custom sort first, now it works.

As for the community closing bugs as duplicates, I don't mean everyone should be able to do it as that would indeed invite chaos.  But rather a small trusted subgroup of the community (that isn't just the developers), like the forum moderators can do so.

Archived